• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 13: Stormers vs. Blues (19/05/2017)

The shot on Francis which is as clear a Red card as you can get for that to just get an penalty is a disgrace.

I had another look at this and I can't help but feel that here is a decision that goes beyond issues about referee bias, or how the game swing is affected by the bounce of the ball or marginal decisions.
This one is right at the door of player welfare, player safety, and brings into focus a direct question of what the officials were doing and how they failed to administer a fair or just outcome.
I can'rt see how this is just a penalty and after watching this again a few times, I would like to see the referee and the linesman and in particular the TMO Veldsman placed on report.
They have questions to answer.
That poor bloke was hammered, illegally and it should never have been just a penalty.
Shaun Veldsman is a liability for player welfare.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/treeby-citing-highlights-questionable-officiating-20170520

Last edited:
exactly, but it is understandable the bias question has come in as it looks like one of the worst high tackles we have seen this year and for it to get picked up in game and only found worthy of a penalty is mind boggling.

this isn't about the game becoming soft. the reality is the players strength, power and weight has increased dramatically over recent years. The impacts are much harder and there is a massive focus on the physical contact area of the game. The impacts and hits in tackles/rucks/mauls is far greater than it has ever been. This hit me when I watched a replay of the first lions game from 2005, it was so tame then compared to what its like now even in super rugby.

You can train the body to be bigger and more powerful but you can't train the brain to take bigger hits... The rules of the game have to change to protect the players and those rules need to be enforced not just by the refs but the players and coaches, they need to adjust their techniques.

Often in the past when referees have been asked to rule differently they start off really well and pick things up but over time the standards drop and they start letting stuff go. With player safety in mind they need to be vigilant and keep the standards high.

Latest posts