• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 13: Stormers vs. Blues (19/05/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
2hUozcT.jpg

Stormers.png
rBDTSON.jpg

Venue: DHL Newlands
Time: 19:00 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Teams

Stormers:
15 SP Marais, 14 Cheslin Kolbe, 13 EW Viljoen, 12 Shaun Treeby, 11 Seabelo Senatla, 10 Dillyn Leyds, 9 Dewaldt Duvenage, 8 Nizaam Carr, 7 Siya Kolisi (captain), 6 Kobus van Dyk, 5 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 4 Eben Etzebeth (vice-captain), 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Oli Kebble.

Substitutes: 16 Ramone Samuels, 17 Ali Vermaak, 18 Wilco Louw, 19 Jan de Klerk, 20 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 21 Jano Vermaak, 22 Brandon Thomson, 23 Damian de Allende

Blues: 15 Melani Nanai, 14 Matt Duffie, 13 George Moala, 12 Sonny Bill Williams, 11 Rieko Ioane, 10 Piers Francis, 9 Augustine Pulu, 8 Akira Ioane, 7 Blake Gibson, 6 Steven Luatua, 5 Scott Scrafton, 4 Gerard Cowley-Tuioti, 3 Charlie Faumuina, 2 James Parsons (captain), 1 Ofa Tu'ungafasi

Substitutes: 16 Hame Faiva, 17 Alex Hodgman, 18 Sione Mafileo, 19 Patrick Tuipulotu, 20 Kara Pryor, 21 Sam Nock, 22 Bryn Gatland, 23 Michael Collins

Last edited:
Like the Brumbies hosting the Blues a couple of weeks back the credibility of a nation's rugby is slightly influenced by whether a top SA side can knock off the worst of NZ at home. For the sake of the competition come on Stormers.

I fancy the Blues though, by 10.

As much as I would like to see a Blues victory, I can see the wheels coming off against the Stormers. Especially in the Republic.

It's a tough one, on the one hand I would say the Blues belong in a slightly higher league than the Stormers, along with the Highlanders, Chiefs and Lions. The Stormers have had a woeful tour and should probably be included with the other middling teams like the Sharks and the Jaguares.

That said if we can put the tour behind us there is no reason why we can't win at home after a bye week to get some rest. The Blues aren't as far out of our league as the Canes and Crusaders for instance. The Blues are the better team but maybe home advantage and the Blues traveling can make the difference.

I'm very interested to see how the Stormer's backs line up, it's very non-obvious this week, we are out of FH's (just for a change) so we either need to see Brandon Thomposn come in to 10 OR we move Dillyn Leyds. Juan de Jong and Damian de Allende are both back as well (and have been for a little while, they just didn't join the tour) so I suspect one of them will move into 12. Senatla is also in the mix and there is a chance that if Leyds moves into 10 he will come in on the wing. We shall see, my preference would be:
10. Leyds, 11. Kolbe 12. Damian de Allende 13. EW Viljoen 14. Seabelo Senatla 15. SP Marais

But I actually doubt this will happen.

It's a tough one, on the one hand I would say the Blues belong in a slightly higher league than the Stormers, along with the Highlanders, Chiefs and Lions. The Stormers have had a woeful tour and should probably be included with the other middling teams like the Sharks and the Jaguares.

That said if we can put the tour behind us there is no reason why we can't win at home after a bye week to get some rest. The Blues aren't as far out of our league as the Canes and Crusaders for instance. The Blues are the better team but maybe home advantage and the Blues traveling can make the difference.

I'm very interested to see how the Stormer's backs line up, it's very non-obvious this week, we are out of FH's (just for a change) so we either need to see Brandon Thomposn come in to 10 OR we move Dillyn Leyds. Juan de Jong and Damian de Allende are both back as well (and have been for a little while, they just didn't join the tour) so I suspect one of them will move into 12. Senatla is also in the mix and there is a chance that if Leyds moves into 10 he will come in on the wing. We shall see, my preference would be:
10. Leyds, 11. Kolbe 12. Damian de Allende 13. EW Viljoen 14. Seabelo Senatla 15. SP Marais

But I actually doubt this will happen.

The reports I read says, that it seems like Joe Pietersen or Dyllan Leyds will be fly half.

Hope to see Senatla finally making good on his chance in XV game. And against the Blues, might just be the game where he can show what he can do, where width will be used.

Just hope the weather plays along. We've been having rather odd weather in SA this time of year.

Cape Town is dry bra.
We haven't had rain in ages, we're in a serious crisis down here.

In any case just this once I hope the weather is good because I'll be going, hopefully I don't jinx them this time like I did agaisnt the Chiefs.

I also heard Leyds will be starting, but that reshuffle doesn't neccesarily mean Senatla will start (as much as I'd like that) we could see Damian and JdJ slot in with EW moving to the wing.

Edit:
Line-up out, happy with giving Leyds a shot at 10 and even happier to see Seabelo on the wing, not so sure about Treeby at 12, I'd rather have DDA who at least looked good at the beginning of the season and has a much higher ceiling than a kiwi who couldn't nail a starting jersey for a competing team.

Edit: Blues side looks strong though, I'm one of those who think it's madness to play Melani on the wing and Collins at 15.

Last edited:
Nanai starting again, it seems Umaga has finally come to his senses. Thank god. I think that's the Blues' full strength backline, and man it looks formidable. Happy we finally get to see it, hopefully they can do some damage. I'm going Blues by 10.

Also, can someone tell me who'll likely be doing the goal-kicking for the Stormers? Will it be Marais or Leyds?

Last edited:
Nanai starting again, it seems Umaga has finally come to his senses. Thank god. I think that's the Blues' full strength backline, and man it looks formidable. Happy we finally get to see it, hopefully they can do some damage. I'm going Blues by 10.

Also, can someone tell me who'll likely be doing the goal-kicking for the Stormers? Will it be Marais or Leyds?
Impossible to know for sure but my guess would be Marais. He's taken the odd long range kick this season and has looked pretty good, where as I can't remember seeing Leyds take a kick before.

Edit: Stormers by 8 :D.

Impossible to know for sure but my guess would be Marais. He's taken the odd long range kick this season and has looked pretty good, where as I can't remember seeing Leyds take a kick before.

Edit: Stormers by 8 :D.

It could also be Dewaldt Duvenage. I remember him being a decent goal kicker back in the day.

It could also be Dewaldt Duvenage. I remember him being a decent goal kicker back in the day.
Fair shout, I assume it's a fantasy thing haha.
I wouldn't rush to put Leyds in your team based on goal-kicking, but Marais is a good punt (as he scores high in fantasy anyway) and Duvenage could be sneaky.

Fair shout, I assume it's a fantasy thing haha.
I wouldn't rush to put Leyds in your team based on goal-kicking, but Marais is a good punt (as he scores high in fantasy anyway) and Duvenage could be sneaky.
Yes it is a fantasy thing lol. Since Jordie isn't starting and Beaudy is my first 5 I needed a new kicker, and I only have room in the back 3. The plan was to go with Marais (was never going to pick Leyds) since he generally scores high but I already have DMac back there so tbh I might just stick with him and hope to hell that he retains the kicking duties over Cruden lol.

Who is this ref? Second yellow card just given to Duffie was pathetic. Diving on a player, on the ground is a pen indeed. Its not a straight yellow. If we stopped that sort of play at most rucks, then you'd have 7 a side at 80 minutes. Failed to see a Stormer player bridging and not releasing on the turnover lead to the breakaway.

Stormer players knee on the ground while playing the ball for the try. Ignored by ref. He looks a little homer, is what I am suggesting. I have literally had the game ion 5 minutes.

I have mixed feelings about the second YC, but i think the first one was uncalled for. I thought the ref had to give the team a warning before he gave a YC for continued infringement.
Then again, i believe Etzebeth's YC was on the harsh side too.

Last edited:
There should not have been 1 single yellow this game for my money. I think the ref was in a little over his head and was too harsh. The flow of the game not helped by the slippery conditions. All in all a bit of an arm wrestle but I felt this game was won and lost on the better impact from the Stormers bench vs what the Blues replacements brought. Might be the travel factor or the sheer size of the Blues pack but the Blues slowly but surely were slipping out of this match after an indomitable start. Could see it in the scrums, breakdowns, just everywhere.

Scrappy and the Blues can probably feel a bit aggreved about the 2 yellows and subsequent red by I'll take it, the lads still showed a lot of character especially on defense. Wins against Kiwi teams don't come easy, I actually thought Ebens yellow was the most obvious one, no need for that behaviour and I thought he was past this (keep in mind it's haRd to examine a gam live). That said, drunk and happy!
Edit:scrums at the end though, Wilcow Louw is welcone gem this year.

Stormers were already the only team to win (or draw) against NZ teams this season, and now they've won *both* their home games vs NZ teams for the season.

Co-incidentally they're the same two the Lions beat last season. (but Lions vs Chiefs was in Hamilton, and Lions vs Blues was a BP win)
The Sharks beat a different two - Highlanders and Hurricanes, and Aussie teams won 3 and drew 1 (out of 25).

For the Super 18 era, the Stormers now have a better record hosting NZ teams than the Lions. 67% vs 60%. (Sharks are at 50%, no one else is above 20%)

I think South Africa's reputation will do ok. At SR level at least.

Last edited:
The officiating for the Blues and Highlanders matches has been very dodgy and extremely poor.

Unpopular opinion, but I don't care, because I'd rather speak honestly than pander to the crowd.

Can we call a spade a spade? The officiating has been biased.

I didn't see anything in there for the 3 yellow cards.
They could have just as easily been 3 penalties.
The Blues suffered more from the cards than the Stormers did having to work the last 15 minutes of the game with a man down but thats the way it goes.
The Blues need to show more consistency against quality opposition
They are starting to get there but it's not happening for them this season.
I only watched the highlights but it looked like a good intense game and the fans seemed to be enjoying it.

I didn't see anything in there for the 3 yellow cards.
They could have just as easily been 3 penalties.
The Blues suffered more from the cards than the Stormers did having to work the last 15 minutes of the game with a man down but thats the way it goes.

The Matt Faddes yellow card vs the Cheetahs was the softest yellow card in the games history.

Some of that officiating was incredibly frustrating. I'm generally pretty sympathetic with refs having been there myself, but there's a point where you really have to question it. The reffing in some of the last few kiwi games in SA has been incompetent, plain and simple.

As for the game itself, it was pretty good. The Blues were unlucky, a lot of stuff went against them, but in saying that the Stormers got the job done so they have to get some credit. SBW looked a lot better this week which good to see also.

Latest posts