• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 5: Jaguares vs. Reds

I really love the pragmatic and efficient way Jaguares are playing now, it seems that every possesion in rival's 22 could be a try. At the end we're running out of gas (a cronical problem for Pumas and Jaguares).

Last edited:
Strange game, odd refereeing with much confusion between the TMO and on field. Reds just go from bad to worse, so inaccurate. Ho hum.

Jags tackled hard, didn't over commit to try to win the ball and the Reds didn't show much variables to their attack.

The communication problems with the TMO are ridiculous, and it has been like this since the beginning. I don't know why they still can't (or don't want to) fix it. Also, they should pick someone who can actually understand english for it. Between the technical and language issues every TMO becomes a mess that takes like 3 minutes.

Quite happy with the result and performance.
First win in super rugby over a non-south african team!

i did complain about the reffs last season think they where specially harsh on us . now i must say the opposite: they are clearly soft on the jags, dont know why. mayby its just chance. or these games they are influenced by the loud crowd. anyway we still lead the yellow chart. those two yellows for the reads where bull****. the fist one, intentional knock on, didnt look intentional to me. at least it was consistant with the latter on ezcurra. wich look intentional. the second looked like a normal penalty, not a single warning? straight yellow? it didnt kill the game! opinions?

Last edited:
Clearly. I watch most of the games through sky sports and last season you heard the odd comment about refs being harsh. This season, every single game there are a few calls per game where you have to scratch your head and ask: "what was he thinking?".

i did complain about the reffs last season think they where specially harsh on us . now i must say the opposite: they are clearly soft on the jags, dont know why. mayby its just chance. or these games they are influenced by the loud crowd. anyway we still lead the yellow chart. those two yellows for the reads where bull****. the fist one, intentional knock on, didnt look intentional to me. at least it was consistant with the latter on ezcurra. wich look intentional. the second looked like a normal penalty, not a single warning? straight yellow? it didnt kill the game! opinions?

I was happy with both calls.

For the intentional knock on, if Nabuli had wanted to tackle the player 'ball and all' he would have aimed at the player, instead of aiming towards the opposition goal line - his angle made no sense if he was just trying to tackle the Jaguares player.

For the second card, the ref said no warning for cynical play. You don't give warnings for high shots, so why would you give warnings for blatantly and cynically bringing down a maul? The question is whether or not the player did blatantly try and cheat or it was an accident - that's the ref's call, I couldn't tell either way.

I had to miss this unfortunately but it sounds like more of the same from the Jaguares, which in 2017 is a compliment!

First ever win against non south african opposition.

We need our bench players to be more dependable, it's always frustrating to watch our last 20/25 min.

This might improve when there are less injuries I would imagine.

I love that a player like Sanchez, a clear star and starter, has to sit on the bench because it was 100% his fault that he dropped out of the team. It sends a very strong message about team work and about discipline. I don't think I'd like that rule if his absence was based on injury though, even if it is designed to give encouragement and motivation to backup players.

Seeing that the Sharks defeated the Cheetah's away from home I'm a little nervous for the Jaguares' chances in their South African road trip. But at least these will be intense and meaningful contests.

I was happy with both calls.

For the intentional knock on, if Nabuli had wanted to tackle the player 'ball and all' he would have aimed at the player, instead of aiming towards the opposition goal line - his angle made no sense if he was just trying to tackle the Jaguares player.

For the second card, the ref said no warning for cynical play. You don't give warnings for high shots, so why would you give warnings for blatantly and cynically bringing down a maul? The question is whether or not the player did blatantly try and cheat or it was an accident - that's the ref's call, I couldn't tell either way.

ok maybe you are right about those yellows but let me put it this way if he just call it penalty and didnt give a yellow for that off side at the maul, would some one complain about it? anyway this doesent change the fact that reffs are a lot softer than last year.

Latest posts