• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] SF2: Lions vs. Hurricanes (29/07/2017)

Finally Julian dropped but still to bench. Hopefully it'll light a fire in him.
Awesome team.
Feeling good. Canes need to start improving and playing some champagne canes. Its time to deliver. Dust or diamonds

For the Lions to have improved enough to give the 'Canes a run for their money, they should have thrashed the Sharks rather than win by a long range penalty.

This is the strongest "Canes team ever, full of in form AB's and other best in comp players. It is far stronger than the team that won last year, with another season under the belt for the younger guys like Savea and Laumape. The Lions will need to play fast and hard for every one of the 80 minutes just to keep Perenara under control, and then still find the ability to handle forward speedsters Cole and Ardea, the genius who is Beaudie Barrett and the try scoring machines at 12 and 13 - 28 trys between them with Aso missing several games. Can the Lions deal with those guys? Then how about Fifita, Shields, Jordie, Nehe and Goosen?
Gets harder by the minute and we still have very mobile and skilful locks and props and a bench which has never let the 'Canes down.

Obviously I back the Hurricanes to win, but despite my earlier diatribe in reference to attacking skills, I think the win will be based on the best offensive defense in the comp. That was why they never conceded a try in the whole final series last year and have only lost narrowly this year even when under-strength.

This year it seems SA supporters are more confident that ever they have the comp winner. I hope the game is a ripper and the winner goes on to win the final. If the lions win they deserve the result and will ensure the upcoming tests are brilliant. If the "Canes run away with it, we are back to usual and the only brilliant thing is the US$5.45 I got for a 'Canes win before the comp started - and I went in boots and all!!

Being in Aussie I only have to stay awake and sober for a 10.30pm start of coverage - Thank hell!!

the only way in will be if the forwards can get massive ascendancy (which I don't think has happened this year against the Canes)
Happened in Christchurch, but with the dry Jo'Burg conditions and that Lions pack, I don't see it happening.

This is the strongest "Canes team ever, full of in form AB's and other best in comp players. It is far stronger than the team that won last year
IMO the strongest ever Canes team was the 2015 side... Goodes, Coles, JTA, Thrush, Broadhurst, Shields, Savea, Vito, Perenara, Barrett, Savea, Nonu, Smith, Jane, Milner-Skudder...
That was an all-star side and that season was one of the most dominant seasons ever by any side... the fact that we choked in the final shouldn't take away from how great that side really was.
I'd put this years and last years sides just behind that 2015 side.

Lions are a good side and even better at home but looking at that score and more importantly the history between these sides it almost seems as if the Hurricanes just has their number playing the same game only better. Like SA had that 11 year run against England; England were a good side throughout but we both played the same game and we at the time just played it better.

Lions tries both sides of halftime. Might I have spoken too soon?

Last edited:
See.. Barret in the same position kicks the ball.. pressure released.

Lions have been making breaks at will though the last 30 minnues and seem to be backing their running game.

Last edited:
Harsh on Barrett. A penalty for sure but difficut to argue it was intentional.

This whole competition is pathetic, South African officials are allowed to cheat and get away with murder, meanwhile, the whole format is designed to get a home final for a South African team.

Time to cut the crap and bring some integrity back to this awful competition.

A bunch of biased officials and competition rigging all around, this is pathetic in the professional era.

SH rugby is going to regress with this junk competition and terrible officiating, we have already see a huge dip in quality in our national teams.

In come the safe space diplomatic posts disagreeing with me. Man up and face the truth, it's blatantly obvious.

Some fairly questionable calls by the officials but can't argue with the fight the Lions have shown this half

Had to laugh how the TMO was just silent. "Those were the angles"

That was a knock on for all money.

I mean BB clearly interfered with the ball whilst it was in a promising position Yellow was right

Wasn't deliberate though, had he not rolled away it's cynical....I really don't know what he could have done.

Latest posts