• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] France vs South Africa (10/11/18)

How is it that no one in the Springbok management does any analysis of what is the effectiveness of different playing styles.
How can anyone with half a brain not see that the constant kicking by 9 & 10 instead of feeding to the backline, only hands possession to the opposition for Gods sake?? The team works so hard to get the ball only to hand it on a silver platter back to the other side with a high up and under, or a kick that doesn't find touch or even one that does. This so called method of "putting the catcher under pressure" is nonsense. It has no value. There is one team in world with a recipe for success and that is NZ. Why can't SA emulate them?? The only way you can win is by scoring tries. The games against France and England were miserable displays. No brilliance, no inspiration, no use of the full potential. The team wakes up in the last 5 minutes and seems to suddenly remember that they need to run the ball and maybe score a try if they are going to win.
What was Erasmus's strategy against France? To win by kicking penalties? It's just ridiculous.
Any ball north of the 22 has to be run - no kicking dammitt!!!!!
All the rest - of when to bring in the reserves, or who to play where, is of minor importance.
If Erasmus doesn't change, or if he isn't replaced, there is no way that SA will have a decent chance in the World Cup.

How is it that no one in the Springbok management does any analysis of what is the effectiveness of different playing styles.
How can anyone with half a brain not see that the constant kicking by 9 & 10 instead of feeding to the backline, only hands possession to the opposition for Gods sake?? The team works so hard to get the ball only to hand it on a silver platter back to the other side with a high up and under, or a kick that doesn't find touch or even one that does. This so called method of "putting the catcher under pressure" is nonsense. It has no value. There is one team in world with a recipe for success and that is NZ. Why can't SA emulate them?? The only way you can win is by scoring tries. The games against France and England were miserable displays. No brilliance, no inspiration, no use of the full potential. The team wakes up in the last 5 minutes and seems to suddenly remember that they need to run the ball and maybe score a try if they are going to win.
What was Erasmus's strategy against France? To win by kicking penalties? It's just ridiculous.
All the rest - of when to bring in the reserves, or who to play where, is of minor importance.
If Erasmus doesn't change, or if he isn't replaced, there is no way that SA will have a decent chance in the World Cup.

No the next coach will employ the same tactics, it was supposed to be wet conditions and the French defense put us on the back foot every time we played wide, our back line was really struggling. Kicking was a good option, especially fafs kicking really put them under pressure and that was partly the reason why we were in good positions the whole time for Pollard to kick 6/6 or 7/7

NZ played a similar game against England.

Geez the Springboks seem to like close games. It doesn't matter if its the All Blacks or Namibia, it'll be a close game.

Geez the Springboks seem to like close games. It doesn't matter if its the All Blacks or Namibia, it'll be a close game.

Still developing the self-confidence and killer instinct to close out games.

Hoping to find this game on youtube somewhere, I can imagine the physicality was off the charts in this one. Two teams with some very big men. Looks like Teddy Thomas was up to his usual tricks from the highlights as well.

Also, could someone tell me if Fofana is injured? Wasn't on the team sheet and is such a clasys player, it is frustrating not see him on the big stage of international rugby.

Man, I think that's it for us using the "get out of jail" card this year. We scored basically 3 tries but only got awarded for 1 there in the end.

With that said, it wasn't a good game to watch from a South African perspective. But I think this game showed yet again that Rassie's selection issues are not always that good. I was so happy when Whiteley left the field early in the second half. He is absolutely hopeless in these wet tight matches, and when Flouw came on, we were even better. I think it's pretty obvious that our 2 pedestrians in the pack at the moment is Whiteley and Kolisi, and 2 weeks in a row of poor performances should be alarm bells for Rassie to switch it up a bit.

Our tactics wasn't the issue, it was wet all week in Paris and even before the game, Matthew Pierce tweeted about the heavy clouds and wet conditions on his way to the stadium. I think our back 3 did better than expected, and that Basteraud and Nkosi try just after another showed that both teams had issues with the wet ball in the air. I however think that Willemse would have been a better selection choice, along with Willie and Dyanthi/Nkosi.

Lastly, that Cheslin Kolbe disallowed try. Why didn't they look at the slinging arm by the french flanker to Kolbe's face as he was diving for the try??? I've seen a similar incident where Cornal Hendricks dived for a try, and also got a hit like that and the referee awarded a penalty try...

Yep i don't get why Owens didn't give a penalty try for the swinging arm on Kolbe. Non-sensical. It went upstairs to the TMO but then Owens gave a 5 metre French scrum for Kolbe dropping the ball because he was getting tackled round the neck. WTF?

Scroll to 3:47

Lastly, that Cheslin Kolbe disallowed try. Why didn't they look at the slinging arm by the french flanker to Kolbe's face as he was diving for the try??? I've seen a similar incident where Cornal Hendricks dived for a try, and also got a hit like that and the referee awarded a penalty try...

Because this ref was competent? And the previous example you cite may have been a nutcase outlier confused by directives?

Latest posts