• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] Ireland v Italy (3/10/18)

Just wow from Larmour, screaming at the telly

Also anyone watching Eddie O'Sullivan talking about the team for NZ. I'd say at this stage Ryan is my nailed on second row but O'Sullivan doesn't have him in. Also has McGrath to start who I thought was poor today

Last edited:
Some players had an excellent game, others kind of let it pass them by. (Some of this might be s**** cause i only had have an eye on the game)

I thought Porter looked very good and consolidated his hold on the 18 jersey. I've never been a Dave Kilcoyne fan but in fairness he was colossal of the bench today. Beirne was obviously really good and is now a serious starting contender. Toner did show that he's still a valuable option as well though. In my opinion Conan is seriously pushing Stander for a starting spot. He's at the level he was in late 2017 where he was probably the best forward in Leinster. In comparison I thought Josh Vdf most missed an opportunity to continue his club form and SOB is probably in the driving seat to start the ABs game now.

Anyway Larmour and Ringrose are class. I thought Luke McGrath brought good pace as well. Game passed Conway by a bit in a way he probably couldn't afford. Aki was decent but at the same time might be a bit disappointed in himself.

Also anyone watching Eddie O'Sullivan talking about the team for NZ. I'd say at this stage Ryan is my nailed on second row but O'Sullivan doesn't have him in. Also has McGrath to start who I thought was poor today

I couldn't help but laugh at old steady Eddie, the 2007 WC kind of hit home when I saw his team, Jame Ryan is far and away Ireland's best lock.

I couldn't help but laugh at old steady Eddie, the 2007 WC kind of hit home when I saw his team, Jame Ryan is far and away Ireland's best lock.
Haha good point, was just a bit mystified myself. James Ryan for me is a big reason our possession-based game works at all, he just gets go forward ball when he has no right to.

Haha good point, was just a bit mystified myself. James Ryan for me is a big reason our possession-based game works at all, he just gets go forward ball when he has no right to.

He's an android, never stops, never makes mistakes, never misses a tackle(I think he's actually never missed a tackle), a leader, has scary potential if he can stay fit. I have to admit I do like Eddie though, I enjoyed him looking at Bowe and Trimble like they were his kids, he brought them through I think.

Eddie couldn't cut it at D. 2 amateur level here (1B to the educated). Hasn't the foggiest.

Not sure how there are still people out there (pundits even) who don't have Beirne in their 23. For me, it should be Beirne and Ryan starting at lock with Henderson on the bench, but there's an argument to put Beirne on the bench instead. I just think leaving him out of the 23 would be madness.

Larmour had a great game, and must have done himself a lot of favours when it comes to getting selected in future. Ireland can look very blunt in attack at times, so having someone who can beat defenders with that kind of consistency is invaluable. Conway is the probably the guy whose spot is in jeopardy. If the World Cup started tomorrow, I think he'd be Schmidt's choice to cover the back three, but a few more performances like this one from Larmour and that might change. I don't think Conway played particularly badly today though, he just didn't see a lot of the ball.

Conan looked really good and could push for Stander's spot if he's not careful. Though the game today drove home to me that despite the depth of competition in the back row, nobody is coming close to taking the 6 jersey from POM. He offers something that the other back rows just don't at the moment, and that's without taking his role as a squad leader into consideration.

Ringrose? Constantly hyped as BOD 2 for years and somehow has managed to actually live up to it.
If he were any good the IRFU wouldn't be filling their pants this close to the world cup and buying Addison out of his contract and fast tracking him in to the squad

If he were any good the IRFU wouldn't be filling their pants this close to the world cup and buying Addison out of his contract and fast tracking him in to the squad

We trapped that foo, he'll only be required for these types of games or when we have an injury crisis, no way out now but suicide(or ryanair).

Didn't they mention Addison forced his way out as he wanted to push for Irish RWC spot

Conan looked really good and could push for Stander's spot if he's not careful. Though the game today drove home to me that despite the depth of competition in the back row, nobody is coming close to taking the 6 jersey from POM. He offers something that the other back rows just don't at the moment, and that's without taking his role as a squad leader into consideration.
Do you mean O'Mahoneys lineout ability? If so I agree, certainly the best man for steals

We trapped that foo, he'll only be required for these types of games or when we have an injury crisis, no way out now but suicide(or ryanair).
Definitely takes the ferry, he's northern and therefore too tight for air travel

Larmour hasnt got over that Guitoune side-step though

Last edited:
Job done. First half was sloppy but it was impressive how they changed gear at half time.

Beirne and Larmour the big winners. Larmour is a bit raw yet and learning the game but his basics are very solid. So hopefully he can get the fullback spot. We'll have a genuine world class attacking talent at fullback then.

Beirne is making it hard to be left out of the starting 15. I think himself and Ryan will be first choice now with Henderson making an impact off the bench. Toner will still be a big part of the squad and there'll be plenty of rotation.

Not sure how there are still people out there (pundits even) who don't have Beirne in their 23. For me, it should be Beirne and Ryan starting at lock with Henderson on the bench, but there's an argument to put Beirne on the bench instead. I just think leaving him out of the 23 would be madness.

I'd have thought your first paragraph here somewhat contradicts your 2nd.

TB is probably a hair slower up at the front of a lineout, but aside from that, does everything POM does only ~20% better.

To me TB has to start - but does so at 6, not 4.

Latest posts