• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Six Nations] England Squad

Pity, but I think we were all resigned to Wiggles.

In better news though, Hughes comes in for Graham :); and LCD comes in for Dunn :)

Hughes surely has to start if fit (earlier than I expected for him) alongside Robshaw and Simmonds.

Wigglesworth ...... come on Eddie it's like you are doing it to let us all down . What a waste of a squad spot

WTF has Mallinder done to prove to Eddie that he's a 'Test Match Animal' ? Or what's his point of difference? Fecking ridiculous.

Disappointed too with Wigglesworth? He's nearly 35, he will be 36 at the WC, what if Youngs doesn't come back as expected, or we get another injury? Robson CLEARLY offers more.

I shouldn't be so annoyed at a coach who's won all but one of his games in charge, but I don't know what he sees sometimes in some players, and contradicts himself when talking about others...

Is Eddie Jones a version of Declan Kidney who is also a master tactician? He is a great motivator, has an immediate impact when he comes into a side but his selection while squad building would make you scratch a hole into your head! Wigglesworth is bang average and old af, there's no world class halfbacks available but definitely some with more potential than a player who was a decent international at his peak!

Is Eddie Jones a version of Declan Kidney who is also a master tactician? He is a great motivator, has an immediate impact when he comes into a side but his selection while squad building would make you scratch a hole into your head! Wigglesworth is bang average and old af, there's no world class halfbacks available but definitely some with more potential than a player who was a decent international at his peak!

I've seen folk mention about EJs impact being very similar to that.

Back 3 under/robshaw simmonds hughes.

Simmonds proved he can play full 80 so on field 8 cover.

Great to see LCD in but doubt he will play tbh

Wigglesworth, understand it but dont like it, want us to win the RWC then put in a player that wont be 36 by then. Id like to see vellacott given last 10 min. Understand its incase injury happens again but still...neeed depth

More than likely (except underhill starting but the way simmonds tackles alot and attacks well and underhill tackles hard and is good at the rucks. I think it brings balance...but robshaw will start im sure.

Mako
Hartley
Cole
Itoje
Lawes
Underhill
Simmonds
Hughes

Care
Ford
May
Faz
JJ
Watson
Brown

George (rather he start and LCD on the bench)
Hepburn
Williams
Launch
Robshaw/hask (not sure who else?)
Wigglesworth
Teo
Nowell.

Disappointing that Wigglesworth has been selected. His box kicking could be very valuable though, if we make Wales try and run the ball back at us I don't fear their attack. Robson should've been picked, can run, kick, and his tempo is probably better than either Youngs or Care. Definitely a better fit than Wigglesworth.

Mullan and Sinckler both back for their clubs this weekend. Personally wouldn't bother bring Mullan back in but Sinks probably should be. That said, hasn't played for England since last 6 Nations so may not be hugely familiar with the setup.

Mullan and Sinckler both back for their clubs this weekend. Personally wouldn't bother bring Mullan back in but Sinks probably should be. That said, hasn't played for England since last 6 Nations so may not be hugely familiar with the setup.
Hughes is also on the bench too. Would love to see 6. Robshaw, 7. Simmonds, 8. Hughes.

The team I'd like to see for Scotland:
1. Vunipola
2. Hartley
3. Williams
4. Launchbury
5. Itoje
6. Underhill
7. Simmonds
8. Hughes
9. Care
10. Ford
11. May
12. Farrell
13. Te'o
14. Watson
15. Brown

16. George
17. Marler
18. Cole/Sinckler (depending on how Sinckler goes for Quins)
19. Lawes
20. Mercer
21. Robson
22. Joseph
23. Nowell

At 3 I'm not suggesting Williams for Cole as a permanent change but Williams has been impressive in the chances he's had off the bench; a real physical presence, so I'd like to see what he could do with a start.

Dropping Lawes is a hard call; for me it's between him and Itoje but one of the locks has to go. Going into this tournament I really liked the idea of a lock at 6 but it's really not working out. For me Lawes gets dropped because his set piece just isn't up to scratch for an international lock.

I really like the back row I've put out; I've dropped Robshaw partly to see what the team is like without him but mostly because he's just not as good as the other options. If Hughes is unfit then I'd bring Robshaw straight back in to start with Simmonds to 8; the same goes for if Simmonds is injured, just bring Robshaw straight back in. If both are unfit then Robshaw and Mercer to start with Kruis coming in on the bench and Lawes covering the back row but that is a pretty dire situation if it happens.

I'm bringing Te'o back in at 13 because for me it's pretty 50/50 between him and Joseph so I'd like to see us do what Ireland do with Healy and McGrath - alternate them each game. Come the World Cup I'd like to see them be more or less interchangeable between who starts and who's on the bench, depending on the opposition.

If Watson's injured then I'd bring Nowell in to start with Daly coming onto the bench if fit; if not then Earle who I really want to see get some game time this 6N.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/england-coach-eddie-jones-refuses-14273949

"You guys were telling me he can't play Test rugby. You guys are unbelievable.

"You criticise him and now, after the game, you're all on the bandwagon.

"I think we can (treat the media as one) and I'm sick of it.

"You guys are better selectors than we are. That's what you think you are. Then one game and you're on the bandwagon. He's been excellent for 24 Tests."

Love this from EJ. Properly calling out the media which really needed doing.

The team I'd like to see for Scotland:
1. Vunipola
2. Hartley
3. Williams
4. Launchbury
5. Itoje
6. Underhill
7. Simmonds
8. Hughes
9. Care
10. Ford
11. May
12. Farrell
13. Te'o
14. Watson
15. Brown

16. George
17. Marler
18. Cole/Sinckler (depending on how Sinckler goes for Quins)
19. Lawes
20. Mercer
21. Robson
22. Joseph
23. Nowell

At 3 I'm not suggesting Williams for Cole as a permanent change but Williams has been impressive in the chances he's had off the bench; a real physical presence, so I'd like to see what he could do with a start.

Dropping Lawes is a hard call; for me it's between him and Itoje but one of the locks has to go. Going into this tournament I really liked the idea of a lock at 6 but it's really not working out. For me Lawes gets dropped because his set piece just isn't up to scratch for an international lock.

I really like the back row I've put out; I've dropped Robshaw partly to see what the team is like without him but mostly because he's just not as good as the other options. If Hughes is unfit then I'd bring Robshaw straight back in to start with Simmonds to 8; the same goes for if Simmonds is injured, just bring Robshaw straight back in. If both are unfit then Robshaw and Mercer to start with Kruis coming in on the bench and Lawes covering the back row but that is a pretty dire situation if it happens.

I'm bringing Te'o back in at 13 because for me it's pretty 50/50 between him and Joseph so I'd like to see us do what Ireland do with Healy and McGrath - alternate them each game. Come the World Cup I'd like to see them be more or less interchangeable between who starts and who's on the bench, depending on the opposition.

If Watson's injured then I'd bring Nowell in to start with Daly coming onto the bench if fit; if not then Earle who I really want to see get some game time this 6N.

I agree the back row isn't functioning as it should, but I'm not sure I'd ditch Robshaw. I'd be more inclined to play him in his natural position at 6, with Curry or Simmonds at 7 and Hughes at 8.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/england-coach-eddie-jones-refuses-14273949

"You guys were telling me he can't play Test rugby. You guys are unbelievable.

"You criticise him and now, after the game, you're all on the bandwagon.

"I think we can (treat the media as one) and I'm sick of it.

"You guys are better selectors than we are. That's what you think you are. Then one game and you're on the bandwagon. He's been excellent for 24 Tests."

Love this from EJ. Properly calling out the media which really needed doing.

Looks to me like Jones is allowing himself to get wound up. I saw a video of him giving an interview and his posture was very defensive. The media are a pain in the arse I can imagine but I found he dealt with it much better when he was joking rather than getting annoyed.

Looks to me like Jones is allowing himself to get wound up. I saw a video of him giving an interview and his posture was very defensive. The media are a pain in the arse I can imagine but I found he dealt with it much better when he was joking rather than getting annoyed.
Looks to me like Eddie knows the meaning of loyalty. Sticking up for one of his players like it going to continue to improve his standing within the team set up. When was the last time an England coach stuck up for one of his players like that?

Everyone always talks about how smaller nations have a strong bond in their teams but I imagine being in an England side creates pretty strong bonds too.
No matter what sport it is everyone wants to see us fail, including our own media.

Everyone always talks about how smaller nations have a strong bond in their teams but I imagine being in an England side creates pretty strong bonds too.
No matter what sport it is everyone wants to see us fail, including our own media.
I think EJ's done incredibly well at creating a strong bond between squad members. For example; bringing in the idea of "finishers" rather than subs will have made players see eachother much more as team mates than competition. For example; instead of Care and Youngs being rivals they both understand their place in the team and help eachother improve.

Plus teams that are winning trophies are always gonna be happier and bond with eachother than ones that aren't.

Latest posts