• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Six Nations] England Squad

Genge is turning into Mako?

A mako who can scrum

Is Genge fit?

How many minutes has he played this year?

I'd have Genge in the squad for SA and give him some opportunities. This weekend is way too soon.

nah he isn't he's back next weekend though.
Minutes wise i think around 800 minutes in 13 games.

A mako who can scrum

nah he isn't he's back next weekend though.
Minutes wise i think around 800 minutes in 13 games.

One day my dream will come true and Genge, LCD, Sinckler will form a terrifying front row. Imagine the hits

Surprised EJ hasn't looked more at ewers, he'd be my third choice 8 over Simmonds every day (Simmonds would be in my first choice flank pairing atm)

Big unit who will smash people on the carry and in defence. With Binny and Hughes out he's the next logical option there, for the game plan EJ has for his 8s

The thing about Ford's tackling is that conceding a few metres but completing the tackle is far better than completely missing them. Most of the tries scored against us have been down to someone who isn't Ford completely missing a tackle, quite often from a run from a long way back. Even if they are caught, they concede FAR more ground that Ford does as a result of missing the tackle. If we are going to say what are the main causes of us conceding ground it is:

1) Poor defence close to the ruck, they just sit there waiting for someone to run at them and then don't double up in the tackle so get pushed back
2) Players running clean through the defence because the spacing is too big / forwards being too slow getting back into position (******* COLE)
3) Defending far too narrow and being beaten on the outside because the defence don't make the effort to drift once the ball is going wide. You can see sides passing across the field way behind the gainline and our forwards are all just slowly trudging across the field making minimal effort to properly drift across.

I'd say Ford being hit is also a failure of other players no getting into position fast enough. If the opposition have had time to get their biggest runner in Ford's channel then why the hell do we not have our big defenders also nearby?

Why does a prop need to pass? If a prop gets the ball he is meant to truck.

Don't agree. Sinckler puts in some deft touches and passes which are hugely effective as defenders are drawn to him and he gets it away well. Mako does a similar job to that.

Genge for me will only improve and if he can add that to his game he will be a seriously top class loosehead.

Don't agree. Sinckler puts in some deft touches and passes which are hugely effective as defenders are drawn to him and he gets it away well. Mako does a similar job to that.

Genge for me will only improve and if he can add that to his game he will be a seriously top class loosehead.

Still isn't an important part.

Still isn't an important part.

It's not unimportant though is it. A modern dynamic game where you have props finding themselves in wider channels, it becomes important. Also, props can end up playing in attacking systems where passing is essential, Sinckler and Mako being examples.

It's an important part for any professional player.

This sort of attitude is hampering the growth of the sport as a professional spectacle.

It's an important part for any professional player.

This sort of attitude is hampering the growth of the sport as a professional spectacle.

For a prop for me.
If the running game is equal then i would prefer the one that could scrum better.

I'm not saying he shouldn't develop his passing game, but on the list of things a prop needs to do for me it isn't a high part of it. Hooker maybe, props not really

It's not unimportant though is it. A modern dynamic game where you have props finding themselves in wider channels, it becomes important. Also, props can end up playing in attacking systems where passing is essential, Sinckler and Mako being examples.
I have yet to have seen anything from the England game plan to suggest that is what Eddie wants ATM.

Last edited:
For a prop for me.
If the running game is equal then i would prefer the one that could scrum better.

I'm not saying he shouldn't develop his passing game, but on the list of things a prop needs to do for me it isn't a high part of it. Hooker maybe, props not really.

Watching attacking plays or breaks being ruined by props who don't understand the concept of space or passing is painful.

As players become more athletic and props find themselves now doing more than just aimlessly hitting a defensive line, their hands and skillset become more and more important.

Obviously you want them to be proficient in the scrum but that's a given isn't it.

For a prop for me.

I'm not saying he shouldn't develop his passing game, but on the list of things a prop needs to do for me it isn't a high part of it. Hooker maybe, props not really

I have yet to have seen anything from the England game plan to suggest that is what Eddie wants ATM
Then I don't think you've been watching. Mako, Binny, and recently it seems even Cole are always putting in passes behind them to Ford/Faz to work wide after trucking forwards.

Watching attacking plays or breaks being ruined by props who don't understand the concept of space or passing is painful.

As players become more athletic and props find themselves now doing more than just aimlessly hitting a defensive line, their hands and skillset become more and more important.

Obviously you want them to be proficient in the scrum but that's a given isn't it.

Name me two more international props who are known for their passing or deft touches.

I'm not saying a prop shouldn't be able to pass, but i would rather have Furlong than Sinckler in my team.
Mind Genge does pass in games so i'm not even sure why i'm getting into this debate TBH.

Name me two more international props who are known for their passing or deft touches.

I'm not saying a prop shouldn't be able to pass, but i would rather have Furlong than Sinckler in my team.
Mind Genge does pass in games so i'm not even sure why i'm getting into this debate TBH.

Rob Evans immediately springs to mind and I'll also say Zander Fagerson, not to mention the NZ props who in general have good hands and ship the ball on.

Edit as posted too early

Latest posts