• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Six Nations] England Squad

I don't have huge issues with is defence as some people do. It's his game management, he's anonymous in big games. He does well vs SH teams but when it comes to tight, physical games vs the likes of Scotland and Ireland he just looks lost.
Today we looked far and away our best with Ford on the pitch

Can someone specifically explain why George Ford is a problem please?
He's small.
He's introverted.
He isn't the annointed one.
He's had 1-2 matches where he hit <50% from the tee.
He's shown some skills whilst holding the ball, and that's deeply suspicious.

ETA: sorry, I nearly forgot. George was absolutely at fault for that horror show in the first half against Ireland today - terrible, terrible leadership from FH not to orchestrate the team better than that.

Last edited:
Farrell plays well for Sarries because he has a lot of good decision makers around him. in the teams Farrell and Goode play as double pivot, with the other 4 players running intelligent lines off them. Even Barritt, who can't pass, can see a good running angle to make the bust. The wingers get involved in the carrying duties, which means the forwards are given some respite from the work, and also simplifies their task as helping with the clear outs. Notice that often the England clear out was being done by a back as it was the forward taking the contact.

The sooner Nowell is fit and we can drop May the better, as all May offers is raw speed.

My team for first test in summer.
15. Daly
14. Watson
13. Te'o
12. Farrell
11. Nowell
10. Ford
9. Youngs
8. Billy
7. Simmonds
6. Armand
5. Lawes
4. Launchbury
3. Williams
2. George
1. Marler

16. LCD
17. Mako
18. Sinckler
20. Itoje
21. Underhill
22. Maunder
23. Slade

How is Manu getting along? Would be within a shot on a call up for the summer tour?

Yeah the time Ford was on the pitch today is basically why he starts. So many of attacks went nowhere due to poor decision making today by distributors. I like Farrell at 12 but he's not a starter at 10.

I'll probably calm down at some point over the next couple of games and recognise his good points, but right now I am overwhelmed with righteous rage at how overrated a decent-to-good international player is among some quarters - in particular the media, it seems to be an article of faith among rugby journos and pundits that he's undroppable. I wouldn't say he definitely should be dropped but it amazes me that it is never discussed. We could definitely build a midfield without him which would have many advantages over a backline with him. Right now I'm leaning towards Ford-Teo-Daly for example, could definitely make a case for that.

I'll probably calm down at some point over the next couple of games and recognise his good points, but right now I am overwhelmed with righteous rage at how overrated a decent-to-good international player is among some quarters - in particular the media, it seems to be an article of faith among rugby journos and pundits that he's undroppable. I wouldn't say he definitely should be dropped but it amazes me that it is never discussed. We could definitely build a midfield without him which would have many advantages over a backline with him. Right now I'm leaning towards Ford-Teo-Daly for example, could definitely make a case for that.
Time to duck and cover.

Time to duck and cover.
Or...

Jon-Snow-vs-Everybody.gif

Last edited:
EJ just said their were players playing today who'll never play for England again, Wigglesworth and Haskell immediately come to mind, anymore anyone?

EJ just said their were players playing today who'll never play for England again, Wigglesworth and Haskell immediately come to mind, anymore anyone?

Simmonds didn't acquit himself well.

I've been thinking about it and I'm struggling. I imagine Armand is one, not because he played badly but because he just isn't really around the setup. I wouldn't be hugely surprised if one is Cole.

Far too soon to Make a call on his international career, he's quality and needs more experience.

Oh I don't mean I'd drop him, but I fear right now he isn't a big enough lad for 8 and isn't a good enough jackaller etc for 7.

I'd have him in the 20 shirt personally, but could do with more experience. So anonymous today.

I've been thinking about it and I'm struggling. I imagine Armand is one, not because he played badly but because he just isn't really around the setup. I wouldn't be hugely surprised if one is Cole.
Shame for Armand but I agree, he's what 29 now, player's coming through in their early 20's, just timing IMO, It's a shame he was basically an afterthought this 6N...

Latest posts