• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Six Nations] England Squad

Not really what he said though, is it?!
Jones hinted that the likes of Sam Simmonds, his third-choice No 8 who started today with Nathan Hughes and Billy Vunipola out injured, might struggle to retain his place in the squad when they regained fitness.

"There's some guys who are starting off their international career and they'll need time," Jones added.

"We've just got to decide whether we've got time to get them ready for the World Cup."

"It's been a little bit complex because we're playing without our five top back-rowers at the moment," Jones said.

"We've lost a number of other players so some guys have come in and done really well, other guys are maybe going to struggle to participate in the future."

But he also maintained his desire to build a bigger squad that could cope with tournaments like the Rugby World Cup, where a winning side has to play seven games over the space of six weeks.

"We have to get a greater depth to our squad, and depth to our squad of players who can play Test rugby," Jones added.

TBF say what you want about Cole, Hartley etc but they have alot of experience in positions where you need to have 3 of them in a World cup squad would find it very surprising to see them "playing their last game".

Paddy Power have Eddie Jones being England RWC Manger at 4/9 i mean that is like printing money no way would the RFU fire a coach a year before the RWC.

In a way its better that we lost, it stops us saying well we played bad but then we won v ireland, then we paper over the cracks.

I believe its a coaching issue not player issue, obv some blame lies with the players but they need a new attack coach and they need to look at selection and hopfully this shocks them into realising that changes are needed.

For me there are two issues. Tactics and team selection. Both are big worries, and I'm not sure which is a quicker fix. As for tactics, I already posted in epl thread and i think England's tactics are stale and have not adapted over the last 2 years.

As for team selection, if Jones keeps with the same players who fail to perform on the justification that they don't have time to get up to speed then he only has himself to blame. Schmidt has been using the NZ style of blooding players to develop a more rounded squad. EJ throws players in the deep in and if they don't perform he discards them immediately,

There were issues last year and England papered over the cracks with their *finishers* in the last 20 minutes. This year they have been exposed and EJ can't continue with his tactics and hope they come good. At no point did it look like England had a plan B. If things don't change in the summer then I say get rid of EJ, because they aren't going to change for the world cup either.

Am I the only one thinking that aside from replacing poor man's Tuilagi with the real thing, that we could perhaps do with a 17+ stone powerful winger, perhaps someone originally from the Pacific Islands and plays for Bath? Not sure if there's anyone fitting that description though.

Wing isn't the issue, they are getting zero space to play with currently.
Roko should be playing but it is the smallest issue in the squad currently.

Wing isn't the issue, they are getting zero space to play with currently.
Roko should be playing but it is the smallest issue in the squad currently.
In Lancaster days wingers were wingers and stuck on their wing. Under Jones, wingers are being given so much more freedom to work within midfield. You even had moments where May and Daly combined today. So even if the ball never makes it to the wing, I think Roko could be a massive asset.

Am I the only one thinking that aside from replacing poor man's Tuilagi with the real thing, that we could perhaps do with a 17+ stone powerful winger, perhaps someone originally from the Pacific Islands and plays for Bath? Not sure if there's anyone fitting that description though.

1322785_MAIN.jpg

Best thing about this 6N's for me
Pre six nations - Drop Youngs FFS, why is he in the squad? he's ****.
Post six Nations - We need Youngs back ASAP.
tbh I'd fast-track a couple of debutants to support Youngs in the lead-up to the World Cup.

Can't believe Robson is 26 and we're still talking about him as some kind of youngster that could deliver the goods but we're not sure and we're not brave enough to give it a go. Like, all he has to be is better than Care. Not the loftiest goddamn barometer.

XfNwBP9.png

It's a bit of an odd situation to be in but for me it's a simple problem to solve .... stop playing players who don't deserve it, play a proper back row and play player who can PHYSICALLY impact the game ....

EJ just said their were players playing today who'll never play for England again, Wigglesworth and Haskell immediately come to mind, anymore anyone?
Where was this said exactly and is it online anywhere yet?

TBF say what you want about Cole, Hartley etc but they have alot of experience in positions where you need to have 3 of them in a World cup squad would find it very surprising to see them "playing their last game".

Paddy Power have Eddie Jones being England RWC Manger at 4/9 i mean that is like printing money no way would the RFU fire a coach a year before the RWC.
Australia did it...and got to a World Cup final, but the RFU won't you're right.

In a way its better that we lost, it stops us saying well we played bad but then we won v ireland, then we paper over the cracks.

I believe its a coaching issue not player issue, obv some blame lies with the players but they need a new attack coach and they need to look at selection and hopfully this shocks them into realising that changes are needed.
Spot on. EJ is a former hooker, it seems slightly absurd that he's England's attack coach as well as head coach, it's not like the RFU are a bit strapped for cash either.

Latest posts