• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Super Rugby] Round 5: Brumbies vs. Sharks (17/03/2018)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
2hUozcT.jpg

1ZOgfhx.png
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
n5QAaQS.jpg

Venue: GIO Stadium
Time: 10:45 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

I think it going to be a close contest. Smart money would be on the Brumbies but my money will be on the Sharks.
Hoping Mapimpi and the return of Jean-Luc du Preez (probably on the bench) will push us over the line.
Actually this game and the next one against the Rebels we should be targeting for wins. If the Waratahs could do it in SA then we can do it in Australia.

Brumbies

15 Andrew Muirhead, 14 Henry Speight, 13 Tevita Kuridrani, 12 Christian Lealiifano (captain), 11 Lausii Taliauli, 10 Wharenui Hawera, 9 Joe Powell, 8 Isi Naisarani, 7 Tom Cusack, 6 Lachlan McCaffrey, 5 Blake Enever, 4 Rory Arnold, 3 Allan Alaalatoa, 2 Folau Faingaa, 1 Scott Sio
Substitutes: 16 Connal McInerney, 17 Nic Mayhew, 18 Leslie Leuluaialii-Makin, 19 Richie Arnold, 20 Lolo Fakaosilea, 21 Matt Lucas, 22 James Dargaville, 23 Tom Banks

Sharks

15 Curwin Bosch, 14 Kobus van Wyk, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Andre Esterhuizen, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Robert du Preez, 9 Louis Schreuder, 8 Tera Mtembu, 7 Jacques Vermeulen, 6 Wian Vosloo, 5 Stephan Lewis, 4 Ruan Botha (captain), 3 Thomas du Toit, 2 Akker van der Merwe, 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitites: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 Juan Schoeman, 18 John-Hubert Meyer, 19 Tyler Paul, 20 Jean-Luc du Preez, 21 Cameron Wright, 22 Marius Louw, 23 Lwazi Mvovo

I think it going to be a close contest. Smart money would be on the Brumbies but my money will be on the Sharks.
Hoping Mapimpi and the return of Jean-Luc du Preez (probably on the bench) will push us over the line.
Actually this game and the next one against the Rebels we should be targeting for wins. If the Waratahs could do it in SA then we can do it in Australia.
Actually, I'd say smart money's probably on the Sharks. The Brumbies still haven't woken up yet and injuries have severely tested their forward depth already.

Their first two hookers are out (fortunately Folau Fainga'a is still good), their lock captain in Sam Carter is out and they've had three hits to the back row in Pocock, Valetini and Fakaosilea (who I've heard will still play, but is coming off the bench).

I'd say it's more an indictment of the Sharks if they can't get up over the Brumbies in this one (although the Rebels will make a tougher proposition).

Sharks must win this one to be a serious contender this year.
They have the players, just need the belief
When they gel, they will be very hard to beat

Sharks must win this one to be a serious contender this year.
They have the players, just need the belief
When they gel, they will be very hard to beat
Pretty much what I said when we played the Waratahs...

In either case I'm not bitter, hope the Sharks take this one, we need some wins on the road to be taken seriously as a conference, Brumbies look up for grabs this year (although I actually like what they've done by shifting Warenui to 12).
On paper the sharks really should win this one, time for them to step up.

Pretty much what I said when we played the Waratahs...

In either case I'm not bitter, hope the Sharks take this one, we need some wins on the road to be taken seriously as a conference, Brumbies look up for grabs this year (although I actually like what they've done by shifting Warenui to 12).
On paper the sharks really should win this one, time for them to step up.
Think he's gone to 10 and Leali'ifano will be that vocal steadying influence at 12.

Sharks dont seem to be in the mood to play rugby , horrible boring game so far

Who are these guys and what have they done with the sharks?
Appalling stuff.

What's going on with the Sharks? They look devoid of confidence and ideas.

I tipped them to push the Lions in the SA conference but that looks misjudged.

What do the Sharks fans think?

@John van eeden That's some disillusioned fans you have there. There was a lot of change before this season - with high hopes that it would improve things. What's gone wrong? Is it the players or the coaching team to blame, or do they need more time to 'gel'?

@John van eeden That's some disillusioned fans you have there. There was a lot of change before this season - with high hopes that it would improve things. What's gone wrong? Is it the players or the coaching team to blame, or do they need more time to 'gel'?
haha yeah but they good for a few laughs XD ,, think they have had enough time to gel most of these guys have been playing together quite a few seasons , it just seems as if the players have a attitude problem ,,, the coach ,,, my personal opinion is that there is to much buddy buddy crap going on in the management and Robert is not getting the best out of the players due to a typical Durban "lets just chill vibe" Thomas is not a TH prop he is LH and I think that he is just forcing TH to get into a Springbok jersey easier and that plan is also not working ,,, our captain Ruan is well ,, not a captain no leadership there ,,, our loosies is to passive and support play is very slow we have no grunt ,,, backline is just there to fill the field ,,, how to fix this I don't know , this have been the case since Plumtree were send packing and since then we became a typical boring SA team

What about the duPreez boys (the loose forwards)? They looked quite agile and aggressive last season, plus signing Acker vd Merwe added some bite to your front row?

What about the duPreez boys (the loose forwards)? They looked quite agile and aggressive last season, plus signing Acker vd Merwe added some bite to your front row?

du Preez borther loosies is awesome but they seem to be very injury prone , Akker is a good hard player but if you look at todays pack ,

8 Tera Mtembu,
7 Jacques Vermeulen,
6 Wian Vosloo,
5 Stephan Lewis,
4 Ruan Botha (captain),
3 Thomas du Toit,
2 Akker van der Merwe,
1 Juan Schoeman

,,, I would rate this as a lightweight Currie Cup pack to be honest ,,,

I don't recognise half of the pack so I can't change comment I'm afraid.

It was always going to be a tough game to win since its away from home. Bit this was just sad. So many mistakes. Basic errors such as over throwing the lineout. Didnt recognize this team. They seemed to have no passion.
I know we have the player talent to compete for honours. Especially when both the du preez brothers come back with van der walt. But still something was seriously wrong today. The players should feel ashamed of themselves.

du Preez borther loosies is awesome but they seem to be very injury prone , Akker is a good hard player but if you look at todays pack ,

8 Tera Mtembu,
7 Jacques Vermeulen,
6 Wian Vosloo,
5 Stephan Lewis,
4 Ruan Botha (captain),
3 Thomas du Toit,
2 Akker van der Merwe,
1 Juan Schoeman

,,, I would rate this as a lightweight Currie Cup pack to be honest ,,,
True. They're still playing against a pack two hookers down, missing their forward leader in the second row and with injuries to 3 back rowers though...

Feel gutted and I'm not even a Sharks fan.
We've now sent 3 team to Aus and lost all 3.

All credit to the Brumbies they really stood up to be counted today, they've had a poor start but their response was exactly what the fans could hope for.

Here's my diagnosis of the Sharks - Last year they were very much a strangulation team with a tough forward pack that could compete with the best at set piece and in the tight lose.
This year they've added some attacking fire power to their back line so in theory they should be better so why aren't they?

As lame as it is I do think injuries are to blame, the form forwards for the Sharks last year were Coenie Oosthuzien and the Du Preez twins, these players added much needed front foot momentum from carries and additional grunt in the set piece and tight loose.
Suddenly without them the Sharks have a lightweight backrow and an experienced out of position prop at 3. The problem was exacerbated today with no Beast and Akker starting. I like Akker but he's more of a Dane Coles/Scalk Brits type player more suited to a looser game where his ball carrying can make the difference.

In short the Sharks lost what made them good last year and suddenly their pack looks lightweight and easily bullied, their back line may be improved but if they lose the platform they had they lose the war.

Really hope they can improve, sorry to the fans you deserve better.

Latest posts