• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Super Rugby] Round 8: Lions vs. Stormers (07/04/2018)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
2hUozcT.jpg

D5pB5Yt.gif
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
BFsGRzk.png

Venue: Emirates Airlines Park
Time: 17:15 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Nic Groom has signed for the Lions. I wonder if Rassie had anything to do with it?

Lions are seriously low on halfbacks. Doubt that no 3 at the Stormers would go to Rassie's list.
He'd rather bring back Faf

I thought the Lions looked better in the first half against the Blues than they did almost all of last season (when I didn't think they found top gear). Then they have struggled. I expect them to bounce back with some fire in the belly here and get a big win. As long as they don't put RJvR back on the wing again.

Nice to see Crombrink named as the starting wing. No sign of RJVR, but I believe he's been outplayed by Vorster this year anyways. Tambwe is quite the talent, but he's lazy at this point. Saw him walking around a few times last week and it wasn't a good look.

Lions: 15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Ruan Combrinck, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Harold Vorster, 11 Madosh Tambwe, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Dillon Smit, 8 Hacjivah Dayimani, 7 Cyle Brink, 6 Albertus Smith, 5 Francois Mostert (captain), 4 Marvin Orie, 3 Ruan Dreyer, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Dylan Smith.
Replacements: 16 Corne Fourie, 17 Jacques van Rooyen, 18 Johannes Jonker, 19 Lourens Erasmus, 20 Marnus Schoeman, 21 Marco Jansen van Vuren, 22 Howard Mnisi, 23 Sylvian Mahuza.

Stormers: 15 Sarel Marais, 14 Dillyn Leyds, 13 EW Viljoen, 12 Damian De Allende, 11 Raymond Rhule, 10 Damian Willemse, 9 Jano Vermaak, 8 Nizaam Carr, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siyamthanda Kolisi (captain), 5 Chris van Zyl, 4 Jan de Klerk, 3 Wilco Louw, 2 Ramone Samuels, 1 Steven Kitshoff.
Replacements: 16 Siyabonga Ntubeni, 17 Jacobus Janse van Rensburg, 18 Carlu Sadie, 19 Kobus van Dyk, 20 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 21 Jaco Coetzee, 22 Paul de Wet, 23 Craig Barry

Line ups for discussion, feel free to edit them out when the thread is updated.

Nice to see Crombrink named as the starting wing. No sign of RJVR, but I believe he's been outplayed by Vorster this year anyways. Tambwe is quite the talent, but he's lazy at this point. Saw him walking around a few times last week and it wasn't a good look.
Rohan I believe is injured, apparently it's a thigh bruise, at the very least he hasn't jumped Mnisi.

Lions look mentally shaken, I think the loss of their leadership cordon specifically Whiteley and Kriel has affected them mentally. They just don't look as determined on defense and they don't see to have the gees that they used to, hopefully they can sort it out.

As for the Stormers we're just poor away from hope no two ways about it, nothing wrong with the team honestly, other than our bench is looking a little thin, should be a decent match. SA derbies have gotten more exciting of late.

I'm starting to get the feeling that my gran could play on the wing for the Lions and look like a world beater. They haven't had a failure out there in three years.

How did Smit do at scrum half? He looked okay in the highlights but is there any chance of him challenging for the starting berth long term or is he more of a journeyman?

Geez... The Stormers looked like amateurs against the rampant Lions. I'm just glad that Ruan Combrink showed Raymond Rhule that he's back and that he wants his Springbok jersey back.

Super Rugby clash between the Stormers and Lions from Newlands. ... FULL-TIME: Stormers 16-29 Lions

Yep we got spanked, I didn't even think we played thaaaat badly, as usual we just forgot how to defend away from home (but the Lions also looked back to their old selves, playing with confidence and pace again).
@Heineken, I didn't actually think Combrink looked that great, feels like he missed a few tackles and other than the one try wasn't that impressive, I honestly thought Rhule was better.
That said Tambwe was better than both, and I'm not suggesting Rhule for Bokke, feels like there are plenty of contenders for our wing spots this year but no obvious choices.

I'd pick Ismaiel for his all round game, but the next best option isn't obvious. Dyantyi? Nkosi? Now that Combrink's back he's back in the mix but he's going to need to put up a few good performances first.

Back to the game there is a strong possibility the Stormers are the worst SA side this year, which is not tooo bad since I think all the SA sides are about mid table level - we're still waiting for one of the sides to put their hands up as ***le contenders, based on the last two games it could be the Sharks but the season is far from decided!

Yep we got spanked, I didn't even think we played thaaaat badly, as usual we just forgot how to defend away from home (but the Lions also looked back to their old selves, playing with confidence and pace again).
@Heineken, I didn't actually think Combrink looked that great, feels like he missed a few tackles and other than the one try wasn't that impressive, I honestly thought Rhule was better.
That said Tambwe was better than both, and I'm not suggesting Rhule for Bokke, feels like there are plenty of contenders for our wing spots this year but no obvious choices.

I'd pick Ismaiel for his all round game, but the next best option isn't obvious. Dyantyi? Nkosi? Now that Combrink's back he's back in the mix but he's going to need to put up a few good performances first.

Back to the game there is a strong possibility the Stormers are the worst SA side this year, which is not tooo bad since I think all the SA sides are about mid table level - we're still waiting for one of the sides to put their hands up as ***le contenders, based on the last two games it could be the Sharks but the season is far from decided!

For a guy just coming back from a lengthy time out of the game completely, you would expect a few cobwebs here and there in Combrink's game. And I'm willing to look past that. But I'm talking about direct opposition, and Combrink showed Rhule's frailties on defence. On attack I can't flaw Rhule much, as he is great at what he does on attack, but that's not really where the criticism is from so many people.

As for Tambwe, yes he was impressive. But look at his tries, 2 of them were cross-kick's where there was space, and no-one to stop him/contest for the ball. 1 tries was a catch and drop to the ground 1m from the line. Most wingers would have scored those tries.

Rhule was bad on defense but Combrink was probably worse (6 tackles missed) so I'd say he didn't show us anything we didn't already know from Rhule vs almost any decent winger.
I actually think Rhule's defense is improving.

Agreed it's far to early to get too excited about Tambwe, 2 tries were cross kicks one was five meters out, and only one was true brilliance. Not a bad way to start the season though.
I do like Dyantyi slightly more I feel he is more multi-talented.

I have proof ball tampering tactics used by the Lions
That first kick of Willemse was supposed to bounce left for Viljoen to run on and score

Latest posts