8. Conan
9. JGP
10. Byrne
11. Lowe
12. Henshaw
13. Ringrose
14. Keenan
15. Larmour

Difficult to see how Ulster get a win in this one. McFarland talked about a 'punchers chance' and that's probably how I'm feeling about it. I probably would have felt more confident pre-lockdown when we had decent momentum but have looked slugglish since the return. Yes, we had a good second half on Saturday but Leinster won't give it away the way Edinburgh did.

I don't think we can underestimate how much we miss Henderson in the pack, also missing Addison a lot who offers a huge amount of creativity from 15.

In terms of the team, the two young props did well to hold their own on Saturday with Moore and McGrath coming on with a point to prove. I'd be tempted to stick with it. The rest of the pack picks itself with potentially Reidy coming in for Rea. In saying that, Jordi hasn't exactly been pulling up trees but would still expect him to start. Cooney hasn't been in the best of form since his return but still starts for me - Alby off the bench is a great option. Think we need to move Stockdale back to the wing. Ludik has been one of my favourite players for a few years now and is as solid as they come but doesn't offer a massive attacking threat and struggles against really quick players. I'd go for Stockdale, Lyttle and Lowry as the back three - concerns around the defence but offer a much better attacking threat and, let's be honest, the only way we are winning this is if we go after it - Leinster are going to win an arm wrestle every day of the week (ask Munster).

My team:
1. O'Sullivan
2. Herring
3. O'Toole
4. Treadwell
5. O'Connor
6. Reidy
7. Murphy
8. Coetzee
9. Cooney
10. Burns
11. Stockdale
12. McCloskey
13. Hume
14. Lyttle
15. Lowry

16. McBurney
17. McGrath
18. Moore
19. O'Connor
20. Rea
21. Mathewson
22. Madigan
23. Ludik

Difficult to see how Ulster get a win in this one. McFarland talked about a 'punchers chance' and that's probably how I'm feeling about it. I probably would have felt more confident pre-lockdown when we had decent momentum but have looked slugglish since the return. Yes, we had a good second half on Saturday but Leinster won't give it away the way Edinburgh did.

I don't think we can underestimate how much we miss Henderson in the pack, also missing Addison a lot who offers a huge amount of creativity from 15.

In terms of the team, the two young props did well to hold their own on Saturday with Moore and McGrath coming on with a point to prove. I'd be tempted to stick with it. The rest of the pack picks itself with potentially Reidy coming in for Rea. In saying that, Jordi hasn't exactly been pulling up trees but would still expect him to start. Cooney hasn't been in the best of form since his return but still starts for me - Alby off the bench is a great option. Think we need to move Stockdale back to the wing. Ludik has been one of my favourite players for a few years now and is as solid as they come but doesn't offer a massive attacking threat and struggles against really quick players. I'd go for Stockdale, Lyttle and Lowry as the back three - concerns around the defence but offer a much better attacking threat and, let's be honest, the only way we are winning this is if we go after it - Leinster are going to win an arm wrestle every day of the week (ask Munster).

My team:
1. O'Sullivan
2. Herring
3. O'Toole
4. Treadwell
5. O'Connor
6. Reidy
7. Murphy
8. Coetzee
9. Cooney
10. Burns
11. Stockdale
12. McCloskey
13. Hume
14. Lyttle
15. Lowry

16. McBurney
17. McGrath
18. Moore
19. O'Connor
20. Rea
21. Mathewson
22. Madigan
23. Ludik
id agree with that, ero point in trying to grind out a game & try shut Leinster down, I don't think our pack can do that to them,

Need to go for it to stand a chance

I'll call it now Leinster tonwin but by 3 or less. Leinster have 1 eye on Sarries and that can be a dangerous thing

rumoured leinster side:

1. Healy
2. Kelleher
3. Porter
4. Ryan
5. Toner
6. Doris
7. JVDF
8. Conan
9. JGP
10. Byrne
11. Lowe
12. Henshaw
13. Ringrose
14. Keenan
15. Larmour
Media consensus that this'll be the team. Like it a lot. No Sexton makes me nervous though, it's the right decision but it's the kind of thing people will go on about endlessly if we do lose.

Media consensus that this'll be the team. Like it a lot. No Sexton makes me nervous though, it's the right decision but it's the kind of thing people will go on about endlessly if we do lose.
More interestingly is if and it is a big IF Leinster do loose with such a fast turn around of just 1 week how will that effect morale ahead of Sarries game.

I'd have made sure Ringrose and Healy were nowhere near Aviva either as they are important and well considering Tadg is goosed Porter is key too vs Sarries.

More interestingly is if and it is a big IF Leinster do loose with such a fast turn around of just 1 week how will that effect morale ahead of Sarries game.

I'd have made sure Ringrose and Healy were nowhere near Aviva either as they are important and well considering Tadg is goosed Porter is key too vs Sarries.

That would be a very strange way for a side on a 24 game win streak to approach anything.

I'd also say they would rather win this Saturday then lose, beat Sarries but not win Europe in response to your second paragraph.

That would be a very strange way for a side on a 24 game win streak to approach anything.

I'd also say they would rather win this Saturday then lose, beat Sarries but not win Europe in response to your second paragraph.
Fair enough but meant it as exactly that. If they did loose qould it effect them mentally. Hard to know.

I would have thought Leinster would have ranked HEC much higher than Pro14.

No reason they can't win both

Iain Henderson returns with Cooney on the bench as Ulster name team for Pro14 final https://the42.ie/5202027

Sexton on the bench, Ryan returns and Ringrose captains Leinster for Pro14 final https://the42.ie/5202020

Hadn't even realised Henderson was in line for this game, great to see both him and Ryan back. Smart decision from Ulster to go with the 6-2 split. Hard on Cronin to be left out if he isn't injured.

Ulster XV:

Michael Lowry; Rob Lyttle; James Hume, Stuart McCloskey; Jacob Stockdale; Billy Burns, Alby Mathewson; Eric O'Sullivan, Rob Herring, Tom O'Toole; Alan O'Connor, Iain Henderson (captain); Matthew Rea, Sean Reidy, Marcell Coetzee.

Replacements: John Andrew, Jack McGrath, Marty Moore, Sam Carter, Jordi Murphy, John Cooney, Ian Madigan, Nick Timoney.

Delighted with that selection. Ballsy from McFarland to drop Cooney and Murphy, but stated above, they have been poor since the restart.

Yeah. Probably the right calls.

IMO, this is the game Leinster don't want. They're expected to win, but Ulster are good enough that any complacency could be punished.

#SUFTUM ;)

Ulster XV:

Michael Lowry; Rob Lyttle; James Hume, Stuart McCloskey; Jacob Stockdale; Billy Burns, Alby Mathewson; Eric O'Sullivan, Rob Herring, Tom O'Toole; Alan O'Connor, Iain Henderson (captain); Matthew Rea, Sean Reidy, Marcell Coetzee.

Replacements: John Andrew, Jack McGrath, Marty Moore, Sam Carter, Jordi Murphy, John Cooney, Ian Madigan, Nick Timoney.

Delighted with that selection. Ballsy from McFarland to drop Cooney and Murphy, but stated above, they have been poor since the restart.

Thanks for the line up. I'm a Glasgow fan, but I'll be cheering for Ulster this weekend.

I think we should win this really. Ulster have been poor since the restart except for a good last 25 in the semi and we shouldn't go into our shells and stop playing rugby the way Edinburgh did.

That said, they're good enough to cause an upset if we don't get it right. Even still, I think we should have enough quality to get the win.

Latest posts