• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Rugby Championship] Round 4 Argentina v New Zealand (18/9/2021)

This is about getting the balance right, giving ourselves the best chance of winning the Rugby Championship though - Foster hasn't learnt from Hansen's mistakes in his last year of coaching, where we consistently made too many changes, it was basically like musical chairs, it definitely showed with us finishing last in the Rugby Championship, our worst result ever in that comp, also hardly firing a shot at the RWC... yeah, we should make some changes each game, but make way too many changes & you're just asking for trouble cohesion wise.
Well it was pretty obvious that changes were going to be made. Any top international side would have done the same, and all all blacks coaches in the pro era would have done the same.

I had predicted less changes, and you argue that the number of changes is too much because they should be going for consistency. But I'd say the fact they've made so many changes actually points to their desire to build combinations and get some consistency with their top team. Because they could either have made less changes more often, in order to give people rest in a busy schedule, or they could make fewer changes less often, which looks like what they're doing. So it sounds like you and foster have the same intent, only foster has thought it through more in terms of how to achieve that intent, which isn't surprising given it's his job.

It's not about building combinations as we are looking to win this comp... in our last match we had 6 changes, 2 changes forced through injuries, also injuries can happen at any stage, so changing 5 or 6 players at the most is ok as you still get decent continuity, this time Foster has changed over two thirds of the starting team, so it's going to be difficult for us to play well as a unit.

only foster has thought it through more in terms of how to achieve that intent, which isn't surprising given it's his job.
Mate, Foster is a very average head coach, was a average head coach for the Chiefs too, it looks like he was only selected as Hansen's assistant coach because he was a good mate of his... Hansen was a good coach but not a great one, he didn't have the good sense to include drop goals into our game until the last year or two of his AB coaching career, it's another weapon that can be used to win a tight game at the end, or push you past a 7 point lead.
Also Hansen was tactically poor at trying to break down a rushing defence, all he basically had was to spread the wide to the backs or take it it through the forwards - if you're getting slow ball from your forwards it's very difficult to take the ball up or fire it out wide to your backs with the opposition standing on top of them... with the opposition standing up so flat there's going to be acres of space behind to kick into to turn them around, yet amazingly Hansen hardly ever got his playmakers to use those tactics, players should be thinking for themselves anyway, read the situation & take the best option.

Am I right in thinking the Suncorp crowd is for both games?
So this one is gonna have a crowd full of tanked up Aussies who have been on the beers for hours and are now celebrating a big win?

big ask for this forward pack to perform at the same level after so many changes. Took a lot of intensity to breakdown that Argentinian Defense, makes things very interesting. honestly the backline is all good, this all black forward pack needs to perform.
apparently if the AB's win by 15 or more they will regain the #1 spot in the rankings.

Last edited:
I've liked what McKenzie has produced at 10. Will be a good watch in the 2nd half.

I know it'll come across as a silly question, but i've got to ask: In this day and age, can someone get into trouble for saying "dont be a pussy" to another player in front of the ref?

Imagine how disappointed and distraught i feel that that happens to be my main concern at halftime.

Taukei'aho has been top **** tonight. What a beast.

edit: I really don't fancy our depth after Smith and Perenara... And even then, Smith is very CLEARLY our #1. What happened to Triple T and Nock... Nock was meant to be a wonder kid halfback.

Taukei'aho has been top **** tonight. What a beast.

edit: I really don't fancy our depth after Smith and Perenara... And even then, Smith is very CLEARLY our #1. What happened to Triple T and Nock... Nock was meant to be a wonder kid halfback.
Edit: "…. After smith and perenara and Weber…" I think you might have had a memory lapse. But I agree otherwise.

I guess we can be happy we held them out under a lot of pressure but was a bit disappointing we couldn't kick on.

With all the changes the ABs made we went pretty well in the set pieces & backs - shows you the massive amount of talent we have, a lot of that is due to the top rugby system we have in place, we play a fast paced game from our NPC Provincial comp through to our Super Rugby teams, so that when a player is selected for the black jersey it makes it easier for him to adapt to the pace the ABs play at... thought Argentina were very poor in the scrums & in defence.

Yes, its ABs - daylight - then the rest. As usual.

Your systems are definitely top notch. But, really, Rugby is only the number 1 sport in terms of popularity in one country and that's NZ. That's why they are the best at it.

edit: I really don't fancy our depth after Smith and Perenara... And even then, Smith is very CLEARLY our #1.
I wouldn't say Smith is clearly our best halfback - glad he's not over the ditch, get sick & tired of his bloody box kicking, also he fires the ball out to the backs too much only after a phase or two so our backs get suffocated... Perenara & weber are excellent halfbacks, with those two playing in the Rugby Championship we're definitely going through a lot more phases in the forwards, which then sucks in the opposition forwards, therefore our backs get more space & time to attack.

Yes, its ABs - daylight - then the rest. As usual.

Your systems are definitely top notch. But, really, Rugby is only the number 1 sport in terms of popularity in one country and that's NZ. That's why they are the best at it.
Yeah, for a fair while now we've had the edge on the rest of the world - for yonks though we had a huge rivalry with the Boks... very surprised the rest of the rugby world haven't looked at the system we have & basically copied it.

We don't only play backyard rugby growing up as kids though, also cricket & other sports too... was rapt when we won the World Test Cricket Championship this year against India, also won the America's Cup in sailing, Aussie were the first country to take the America's Cup off the yanks, was surprised your blokes didn't enter the last one, are you competing in it next time ?

Last edited:
Honestly don't know **** about the America's cup.

It's the oldest sporting trophy in the world - the yanks had it for 132 years until Aussie won it off them in 1983 ...in the final it was the first one to win 4 races, Aussie were 1-3 down, but come back to win it 4-3, great effort to fight back to win it.

Other than that kick pass for a try, Argentina was non-existent.

Meanwhile, New Zealand just keeps rolling along...as expected.

Could've just changed 5 or 6 players though... if the Boks don't become more inventive in those next two matches they'll lose both of them.

Difficult to tell from the highlights but how well did Sotutu play?

Latest posts