• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] England Squad

lets go for it and have a pack of: Genge, LCD, Stuart, Itoje, Lawes, Willis, Curry, Earl ;) - then Robson, Farrell, Slade, Lawrence, Watson, May, Daly

I think you're all way off. This is Eddie's team after all. It'll be:

1. Daly
2. Wilson
3. Ewels
4. Odogwu
5. George
6. May
7. Slade
8. Ford
9. Itoje
10. Binny
11. Ewels
12. Stuart
13. Williams
14. Cowan-Dickie
15. Genge

Genge at full back..... that would get rid of the kick tennis.

Genge at full back..... that would get rid of the kick tennis.
Nah, Eddie's got Gengy in camp practising 'oofing it even as we speak.

The only real question is whether Itoje's delivery of the ball at scrum half will be less glacial than Youngs'. Maro's certainly nippier around the rucks. :)

The team id like to see
Genge LCD Stuart
Itoje hill
Willis Billy(8) Curry

Robson Faz May Slade Lawrence Watson
Daly.

George
Obano
Williams
Lawes
Earl
Randall(i know he wont play but still)
Ford
Malins

Hopfully Odogwu gets the 23 shirt vs Italy.

I'm concerned about what kind of shape/form Binny is going to come into the tournament in - everyone who's ever worked with him says he doesn't train well and it's matches that get his gas tank to where it needs to be.
He's had one game since the autumn, and that was a pre-season friendly so hard to know how up for it he was.

I'm biased because Wilson is one of my favourite players, but I'd start him at 8.
Won't happen, though - Binny is the first name on EJ's teamsheet (and is written in marker pen, seeing as he never gets subbed off either)

My backrow would be:
6. Curry, 7. Earl, 8. Wilson

20. Binny - though I wouldn't be adverse to see Willis there, as Curry and Earl can both cover 8 if Wilson goes down. Both players would offer big impact against tiring defences, but in different ways.

The team I'd like to see (within reason of what I can actually see EJ picking):
1. Genge
2. George
3. Stuart
4. Hill
5. Itoje
6. Curry
7. Earl
8. Vunipola (would rather see Wilson but Billy's bolted on)
9. Youngs (Would rather see... anyone, but Youngs is bolted on)
10. Ford
11. May
12. Farrell
13. Lawrence
14. Watson
15. Daly (Tempted to go with Malins but EJ definitely won't start him over Daly and I'm not convinced he's quite ready yet anyway)

16. LCD
17. Obano
18. Williams
19. Lawes
20. Willis (I'm a big fan of Wilson but I think we already know exactly what he offers at international level; in a bench spot I'd rather we experimented a bit and tested what Willis can really offer at this level)
21. Randall
22. Malins
23. Slade

The team I'd like to see (within reason of what I can actually see EJ picking):
1. Genge
2. George
3. Stuart
4. Hill
5. Itoje
6. Curry
7. Earl
8. Vunipola (would rather see Wilson but Billy's bolted on)
9. Youngs (Would rather see... anyone, but Youngs is bolted on)
10. Ford
11. May
12. Farrell
13. Lawrence
14. Watson
15. Daly (Tempted to go with Malins but EJ definitely won't start him over Daly and I'm not convinced he's quite ready yet anyway)

16. LCD
17. Obano
18. Williams
19. Lawes
20. Willis (I'm a big fan of Wilson but I think we already know exactly what he offers at international level; in a bench spot I'd rather we experimented a bit and tested what Willis can really offer at this level)
21. Randall
22. Malins
23. Slade
I'd be happy with that. Having said that my issue is less selection and more tactics. EJ has said he wants to develop gameplay this 6Ns, but the Autumn was abysmal for attacking rugby. I don't mind kicking it when it's the best option, but some of the kicking in the Autumn was so negative and included chances where there were 2/3/4 on 1's. For me if there is a clear sign of a little more attacking intent, I'll at least feel we're headed in the right direction.

Agreed. If we see some more entertaining rugby, I'd even forgive Lawes or Itoje at 6.

I'd be happy with that. Having said that my issue is less selection and more tactics. EJ has said he wants to develop gameplay this 6Ns, but the Autumn was abysmal for attacking rugby. I don't mind kicking it when it's the best option, but some of the kicking in the Autumn was so negative and included chances where there were 2/3/4 on 1's. For me if there is a clear sign of a little more attacking intent, I'll at least feel we're headed in the right direction.
Agreed, If I recall correctly Daly was involved in a fair few wasted opportunities, either not passing soon enough or linking player over running depending on you viewpoint, there is no sugar coating the general lack of attacking intent however I think wasted opportunities perhaps make it feel far more negative.

Agreed, If I recall correctly Daly was involved in a fair few wasted opportunities, either not passing soon enough or linking player over running depending on you viewpoint, there is no sugar coating the general lack of attacking intent however I think wasted opportunities perhaps make it feel far more negative.
For me it was more Farrell. There were times where there was clearly space out wide but as we were around the half-way line it went high in the air. Even times close to their 22 it was a kick through even if the space was covered.

Latest posts