• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] England Squad

When I think of weak positions for England I really don't think of Loosehead! Or at least not in terms of this WC cycle; there's every chance Mako and Marler will still be playing at the WC, and then you've got Genge who'll still be playing in the 2027 WC.

So we've essentially got 6 years to find some fresh blood, and we might get a look at two of them this spring.

Yeah, atm we're well stocked - when you're missing two B&I Lions and then next up is Genge (who, arguably, should be starter this tournament - based on the AIs/his club form) that's pretty damn good
Mako and Marler are both only 30, so will still be in their prime at the next world cup, and Genge is only 25

Youth-wise there may not be a huge amount atm (I'm not even sure here tbh, not been much age grade on with COVID cancelling everything) but if Obano can make the step up to international then we'll have two in their early 30s and two in their mid 20s with plenty of time to properly find/bring through youth players

When I think of weak positions for England I really don't think of Loosehead! Or at least not in terms of this WC cycle; there's every chance Mako and Marler will still be playing at the WC, and then you've got Genge who'll still be playing in the 2027 WC.

So we've essentially got 6 years to find some fresh blood, and we might get a look at two of them this spring.

"2027 is six years away" is the worst thing that anyone has ever said on this forum, possibly ever.

Yeah although Mako and Marler are both in their 30s now, an age at which experience comes to the fore, but fitness and form can't be taken as a given. With Mako's injury history lengthening and Marler's personal issues it's probably going to become increasingly rare that both will be available at any one time. So it's important that we do establish the next cabs off the rank behind Genge.

But other positions are more worrying.

Is that two players to withdraw for personal reasons now? Minozzi and Marler? Fair enough to both of them, rugby isn't the be all and end all.

Coming in and out of bubbles probably takes a huge amount out of players, just hope teams are doing the right things to look after them.

Who knows? It would be strange to pick players like Lawrence and Odogwu for their line breaking ability and then never pass to them.
I honestly think there were genuine attempts to attack ball in hand last year, they were just not very good at it. If the passing can improve so that they can hit receivers in stride, we should see some more sexy rugby.

Personally I don't care how they do it so long as they win. :cool:

Launchbury and Marler both out,
Launch injured, Marler withdrew for personal reasons (I imagine due to the several month bubble - Minozzi has done the same, turning down a spot in the Italy squad)

Ewels and Tom West called up
Shame for Launch, especially after what happened last time with him being left out of the Lions. He was excellent last year and I expected him to be one of our best players again this tournament and get in that Lions squad, but now it seems unlikely.

Then again, so does the Lions tour.

Shame for Launch, especially after what happened last time with him being left out of the Lions. He was excellent last year and I expected him to be one of our best players again this tournament and get in that Lions squad, but now it seems unlikely.

Then again, so does the Lions tour.
Launch be like "If I can't have it, nobody can!"

You know im happy to be seeing Obano, great in the loose and not a bad scrummager(right?), him and genge as the LHPs sounds good as when one goes off you dont get a let off in defence like you would with Marler.

Suppose i am being a little harsh. I think West will do well tbf if he ever gets a chance. Stuart, Willis and West are best mates so nice little reunion for them.

Also fun fact, Williams, Obano, West and Stuart were all Wasps Academy :)

Gutted for Odogwu he resigned for Wasps before the England call up! Think he could have nogotiated or got a clauses in there knowing he'll likely be stepping up. Lost cash!

Suppose i am being a little harsh. I think West will do well tbf if he ever gets a chance. Stuart, Willis and West are best mates so nice little reunion for them.

Also fun fact, Williams, Obano, West and Stuart were all Wasps Academy :)
Stuart and West also played in the same school team together. Must have been a fixture other schools were keen to avoid!

I honestly think there were genuine attempts to attack ball in hand last year, they were just not very good at it. If the passing can improve so that they can hit receivers in stride, we should see some more sexy rugby
That is a totally basic skill that any rugby player, let alone internationals, should be able to do as naturally as breathing. The Autumn issues were more tactical than execution.

Personally I don't care how they do it so long as they win. :cool:
I totally agree with you.

If we're playing higher ranked teams, or in a GS decider or a RWC knockout. That gives the team a free pass in one 6N game.

Otherwise developing how the team plays matters so they can flex their style when those big games come along. And being better to watch is a big bonus.

To save time shall we just copy and paste our arguments from a couple of months ago?:)

Underhill injured, Jack Willis called up

Alec Hepburn, Lewis Ludlam and David Ribbans have been added to the shadow squad.

Underhill injured, Jack Willis called up

Alec Hepburn, Lewis Ludlam and David Ribbans have been added to the shadow squad.
Gutted for Underhill but happy J Willis is getting a chance.

Scotland will be happy not being hit by Underhill though.

Hope we see Willis Curry Billy!

That is a totally basic skill that any rugby player, let alone internationals, should be able to do as naturally as breathing. The Autumn issues were more tactical than execution.

I totally agree with you.

If we're playing higher ranked teams, or in a GS decider or a RWC knockout. That gives the team a free pass in one 6N game.

Otherwise developing how the team plays matters so they can flex their style when those big games come along. And being better to watch is a big bonus.

To save time shall we just copy and paste our arguments from a couple of months ago?:)
Yup, sounds like a good idea. :D

Honestly, I know I'm in a minority, but I do genuinely enjoy England's kick-heavy gameplan. That said, we definitely do need to add some more strings to our bow, as you say. But I'm confident they will. Eddie's never one to stand pat.

So we have half our starting pack out vs Scotland? That should give plenty of opportunities for player development at least.

Latest posts