• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] England Squad

So who has Eddie brought in coaches wise?
Actual assistant coaches
Rory Teague Skills Coach - Left for Bordeaux backs coach 2017
Gustard defence - left for Quins Head coach 2018

Borthwick Forward - left for Tigers Head Coach 2020
Hatley Scrum - left for Bath Head Coach 2020
Wisemantel Attack - left to return to Australia and become Aus Attack coach 2020

Mitchell - Replaced Gustard
Amor - Replaced Wisemantel
Proudfoot - Replaced Borthwick and Hatley
Jason Ryles - skills Coach (Not yet arrived)

Is that very high turnaround?

Then temp guys
George Smith - Breakdown 2016
Glenn Ella - Skills 2016
Ed Robinson - brought in to cover for Ryles due to covid

So who has Eddie brought in coaches wise?
Actual assistant coaches
Rory Teague Skills Coach - Left for Bordeaux backs coach 2017
Gustard defence - left for Quins Head coach 2018

Borthwick Forward - left for Tigers Head Coach 2020
Hatley Scrum - left for Bath Head Coach 2020
Wisemantel Attack - left to return to Australia and become Aus Attack coach 2020

Mitchell - Replaced Gustard
Amor - Replaced Wisemantel
Proudfoot - Replaced Borthwick and Hatley
Jason Ryles - skills Coach (Not yet arrived)

Is that very high turnaround?

Then temp guys
George Smith - Breakdown 2016
Glenn Ella - Skills 2016
Ed Robinson - brought in to cover for Ryles due to covid
It's almost like you're suggesting that he's fulfilling the part of his contract that says "help train up the next generation of English coaches" :eek:

That's an optimistic way of looking at it, I guess :p

He was meant to be mentoring coaches into taking over from him after his contract was up - he then got offered another contract.
Bit of a chicken and egg situation re: his successors, at that point - did they leave for club rugby because they knew the England job was off the table, or was EJ's contract extended because they left?

Moot point, anyway, as I don't think Gustard or Borthwick would've been much cop in the head role with England.

Teague is, I think, out of a job atm - was only at Bordeaux for a season before joining Gloucester, then got sacked there last summer.
Gustard became a head coach then was sacked, now back doing defence coaching
Wisemantel not an English coach (same with Smith and Ella)

Hatley and Borthwick both look to have progressed in their time with England/Japan & England, though, and performing well in club rugby atm

I think Eddie missed a trick with not bringing Vesty in as backs coach.
It's interesting looking at the premiership coaching teams, not many really jump out as International "assistant coach" material just yet though.

Outside shot I wouldn't mind seeing Parling come in as a lineout coach for England.

In fairness, Vesty's only got about 3/4 full seasons as an attack coach at Premiership level hasn't he?

He did spend some time with England too IIRC?

My impression is that Eddie is trying too hard to find something different from his coaches. Ryles, Amor and others in the past are coming from different environments like League or 7s and I think he's looking to expose the players to new ideas. It hasn't always worked and in lots of ways, we'd be better off playing simple structures well at pace.

Not really sure which thread this should go in - mods pls move if you think there's a better home for it. Kruis enjoying life in Japan, but suggesting he'd like to play for Eng again.

I can't walk yet, but I'm working on upper-body power so I can dominate in tackle

He's saying likely to be out for 10 months so hopefully challenging/playing again next 6 nations.

I can't walk yet, but I'm working on upper-body power so I can dominate in tackle

He's saying likely to be out for 10 months so hopefully challenging/playing again next 6 nations.
I hope so. I'd hate for him to be another Tom Rees.

Not really sure which thread this should go in - mods pls move if you think there's a better home for it. Kruis enjoying life in Japan, but suggesting he'd like to play for Eng again.

I hope he does return and add to his England caps. Kruis was underrated IMO and was the perfect partner for Itoje in the second row.
Reads like he enjoying his time in Japan, but wistful over what he is missing in England.

Latest posts