• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Wales vs England (27/02/21)

Showing my age a bit, but it was the same with Underwood and Guscott. I remember Underwood sprinting in for a try and Guscott gliding along next to him, looking effortless.
Yep, although Rory wasn't even the fastest sprinter in his family.

Interestingly Watson's admitted in the past that JJ is actually faster than him. Watson's undeniably an outrageously fast man but I think his much more frantic, explosive style of sprinting makes him look faster than he is while the way JJ almost glides when in full flight makes him look a bit slower.
Point taken about contrasting styles, but I would genuinely be astounded if that was anywhere near the case. Any ideas over what distance?

I may be old school but I'm actually disappointed that a top ref retired or not would publicly dissect another referees decision. I thought that referees would have an unwritten code of conduct.
So two weeks ago when he did it against England it didn't disappoint or violate your ref code but this week it's Wales and in favour of England so it does?

Point taken about contrasting styles, but I would genuinely be astounded if that was anywhere near the case. Any ideas over what distance?
I'd guess just 40m; rugby players don't really tend to get timed over distances any longer than that, although the fact that Watson's admitted to JJ being faster makes me think that he's probably also scored a higher top speed on GPS. There are videos out there of them racing if you're interested enough to find them.

Obviously it's all speculation but I believe it; look back to those tries JJ scored against Italy in 2015(?) when he shifted to the wing as well as his supporting line for May's wonder try against Ireland in the Autumn Nations. The man's got wheels.

In one of the pre World Cup vids JJ stated that big Joe was the quickest player at Bath if that is the case imagine how good he could be if he didn't constantly look for contact.

So two weeks ago when he did it against England it didn't disappoint or violate your ref code but this week it's Wales and in favour of England so it does?
Could you link me to where I said I agreed with it. By the way two weeks ago I wasnt in the UK and I certainly didn't have access to online forums :D

In one of the pre World Cup vids JJ stated that big Joe was the quickest player at Bath if that is the case imagine how good he could be if he didn't constantly look for contact

I think the "JJ is faster than AW" was before their horrendous injuries - since then JJ looks slower, whilst AW looks faster to me, and I know AW out in a lot of work on his running technique in that lengthy phase when he was allowed to run, but only in a straight line.
And yes, it was fairly well known that Coka was faster before his long lay-off. Though the myth about him always looking for contact was a myth.

No doubt about it . But as with everything here it will be questioned by a certain member of fans.
May also looks out on his feet there so not sure it's the best comparison.

May has the highest clocked top speed apparently. Mid game is not the best way to judge them tbf

Just watched a programme on Channel 4 from a North Wales hospital about the impact Covid has on patients, families and staff. Puts everything in perspective

My old man had it last year - 3 weeks in hospital thankfully not needing a ventilator. Only ever been in hospital for 1 night in 82 years before that, and that was a heart attack.

Im sorry but i may have missed some posts but England was playing more than the welsh (who played ok) but that ref gave some really bad decisions. Gave off side once when the ball was behind the guys foot. Clear on reply.

Regardless of whether he is or isn't faster than May I've really been impressed with LRZ. With all the talk of testing his defence he hasn't looked out of place or his depth at this level.
This is true, but the couple of times he has been out of position I've noticed, his pace has allowed him to cover for it. There really is no substitute for the stuff. Also means teams cant allow him a sniff of the outside, so will maybe hang wider, thus creating more space up the middle

Confirms what I'd thought, Brilliant from Farrell all game. His defense stood out to me initially in how technically good he looked, chopping at source, but some of his other play was really impressive too
It's his best game since the World Cup in my opinion.

Farrell was definitely better in the Wales game. I thought our defence as a whole was much better, more aggressive, and whilst I don't intend to watch the game again to check I've got the impression that Farrell was trying to play the role of a 12, rather than a 10 who was standing further away.

But a good performance against Wales doesn't detract from the fact that he was poor against Scotland and Italy. I'm going to be charitable and assume that he's shaking of 5 months of rust, so who knows? Might be even better against France! (Argh, the optimism! It burns!)

Latest posts