• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

Genuinely remembered it as him finishing up in 2019. Was a shadow of himself at the end.

Hmm true
Honestly I think after that season he didn't have the strength for a lock and should've been focused more on back row. He was always a more natural 6 IMO but he did a good job at lock for Leinster for a time
A more ruthless coach than Lancaster prob would've looked at replacing him with a proper lock IMO

Monstars don't play for cash and Lancaster doesn't like egos. Only reason it didn't happen and I have that on good authority.

To be honest I reckon it's somewhere in the middle. Like Im confused as anyone by the signing because you look at it and you think Leinster don't need Jordie Barrett, we already have the Lidl own brand version of him in Frawley and two players ahead of him in every position he plays in. I genuinely don't think Lancaster bothers with it. Neinaber knows that any advantage is needed because nothing is certain in knockout rugby and that Barrett turns the needle.

I think in time, and with me talking loudly in the stands, Lancasters legacy in Leinster will be one of failure, just looked like a God after MOC (**** you Tigers).
The famously big ego of Jordie Barrett? I think it ultimately comes down to they were given the money and Barrett fills a gap for a period of time the IRFU are accepting of.

It makes zero sense to me on the face of it, but I'll wait and see what the IRFU do next. I think the rebellion will come from up north especially if they're being forced to cut their squad as much as us being reported while Barrett is apparently getting 200K for six months. Think the IRFU will be asked to show their maths on this one.

Barrett is apparently getting 200K for six months
That seems low tbh,

I know it's only a sabbatical so he'll be getting his domestic and International money on top of that but I'd have expected it to be more

Player of his calibre would command >400k a season in Japan or France, easily

Though could be like back in the day when everyone said Leicester would pay their players less than the going rate because players wanted to win trophies
Might think when he retires he'd rather a potential Champions Cup and/or URC medal over a Top League one, and the monetary difference is worth it

That seems low tbh,

I know it's only a sabbatical so he'll be getting his domestic and International money on top of that but I'd have expected it to be more

Player of his calibre would command >400k a season in Japan or France, easily

Though could be like back in the day when everyone said Leicester would pay their players less than the going rate because players wanted to win trophies
Might think when he retires he'd rather a potential Champions Cup and/or URC medal over a Top League one, and the monetary difference is worth it
But it only 6 months and a top up on his NZRU salary.
No issues with Leinster signing but reading it straight I'd question it as a few of the below:
1. To start right. Osbourne isn't seen as good as @Leonormous Boozer has me believe.
2. Prendergast & 1 of the Byrnes is not going to make it.
3. The Frawley project is dead. He is out of there.

Like NIQs are meant to supplement but this will block some guys pathways. Not sure who but well guess we will find out. Leinster will be better team but an IQ player or players will be lost.

he is on a 6 month contract, Osborne will be playing in the 6 nations next season.

Don't know how this negatively affects prendergast..

Last edited:
he is on a 6 month contract, Osborne will be playing in the 6 nations next season.

Don't know how this negatively affects prendergast..
If Osbourne is playing 6 Nations that means Ringrose or Henshaw won't. No games clash with 6 Nations.
Also Prendergast is behind Byrne x2, Frawley and bench time will be limited now too. He us argubally at a time when he will need minutes at 10 for development. Maybe he gets them still. As I said not all the above happens but 1 or 2 will. It was already a crowded back division so naturally someone was loosing out. Jimmy O B has to come in also

Insane a Byrne or Prendergast hasn't been tempted North yet. Don't get me wrong I'm sure they tried, but wild no one feels like starting for a province over just sticking put

But it only 6 months and a top up on his NZRU salary.
No issues with Leinster signing but reading it straight I'd question it as a few of the below:
1. To start right. Osbourne isn't seen as good as @Leonormous Boozer has me believe.
2. Prendergast & 1 of the Byrnes is not going to make it.
3. The Frawley project is dead. He is out of there.

Like NIQs are meant to supplement but this will block some guys pathways. Not sure who but well guess we will find out. Leinster will be better team but an IQ player or players will be lost.

It's a 6 month contract in a Lions year off the back of a 12 month season for anyone who played the RWC (which is three of the players he can cover for). Don't think any of it is that deep.

Insane a Byrne or Prendergast hasn't been tempted North yet. Don't get me wrong I'm sure they tried, but wild no one feels like starting for a province over just sticking put

If you're a Leinster starter you're 75% of the way to becoming an Ireland one. The exceptions are James Ryan, Ryan Baird, Ross Byrne and Jimmy O'Brien and those lads aren't short on international minutes either.

If you're an Ulster or Connacht starter you need to be a standout player and fit the skill set and athletic profile that Farrell wants.

Ross Byrne - starter
Harry Byrne - plenty of game time, in Ireland squads, 6 nations winner
Ciaran Frawley - plenty of game time, in Ireland squads, 6 nations winner
Sam Prendergast - 11 appearances (plus 2 likely to come in SA and one or two in the remainder of the URC) including European experience in his year graduating 20s.

It's probably the end of the road next year for one of HB or Frawley, they won't be happy being squad guys and sharing more and more of their minutes with Prendergast at 25 and 27 and could have a more important role and/or higher salary elsewhere. But as of right now they're both heavily involved and could end up with 6n, URC and Heineken cup medals at the end of it. Why would they move?!

It's a 6 month contract in a Lions year off the back of a 12 month season for anyone who played the RWC (which is three of the players he can cover for). Don't think any of it is that deep.

If you're a Leinster starter you're 75% of the way to becoming an Ireland one. The exceptions are James Ryan, Ryan Baird, Ross Byrne and Jimmy O'Brien and those lads aren't short on international minutes either.

If you're an Ulster or Connacht starter you need to be a standout player and fit the skill set and athletic profile that Farrell wants.

Ross Byrne - starter
Harry Byrne - plenty of game time, in Ireland squads, 6 nations winner
Ciaran Frawley - plenty of game time, in Ireland squads, 6 nations winner
Sam Prendergast - 11 appearances (plus 2 likely to come in SA and one or two in the remainder of the URC) including European experience in his year graduating 20s.

It's probably the end of the road next year for one of HB or Frawley, they won't be happy being squad guys and sharing more and more of their minutes with Prendergast at 25 and 27 and could have a more important role and/or higher salary elsewhere. But as of right now they're both heavily involved and could end up with 6n, URC and Heineken cup medals at the end of it. Why would they move?!
Lions is the summer after. That is the thing. Just saying it could be one of them and I get mention of stats but I'll take it like this:
- Does Harry not want to be a starter. He got a 6 Nations medal but wasn't used in the big games and again is filling the "gaps". Not a main guy at moment.
- Frawley again wants to be a main guy. His trump card effectively was versatility. That is gone now with JB so does he become another gap guy. Rumours Frawley contract is up this year too. Do you renew or release?
- Prendergast again needs time as a 10. Will he get it? And I agree the 10 jersey is not issue as Barrett will not be taking that up.

But if Ross didn't get injured those stats would look very different. If Crowley is Ireland starter then everyone except for RB will always be available for Irish windows and RB may even be released back. So that adds to questions of how will everyone be kept developing. Centre will be very interesting to see although rumours this morning are Brownlee, and Turner are on the way out.
I suppose (and this has massively been thrown at Max Deegan recently) it comes down to do you want medals for tagging along or do you want to create your own legacy.

Lions is the summer after. That is the thing. Just saying it could be one of them and I get mention of stats but I'll take it like this:
- Does Harry not want to be a starter. He got a 6 Nations medal but wasn't used in the big games and again is filling the "gaps". Not a main guy at moment.
- Frawley again wants to be a main guy. His trump card effectively was versatility. That is gone now with JB so does he become another gap guy. Rumours Frawley contract is up this year too. Do you renew or release?
- Prendergast again needs time as a 10. Will he get it? And I agree the 10 jersey is not issue as Barrett will not be taking that up.

But if Ross didn't get injured those stats would look very different. If Crowley is Ireland starter then everyone except for RB will always be available for Irish windows and RB may even be released back. So that adds to questions of how will everyone be kept developing. Centre will be very interesting to see although rumours this morning are Brownlee, and Turner are on the way out.
I suppose (and this has massively been thrown at Max Deegan recently) it comes down to do you want medals for tagging along or do you want to create your own legacy.

I doubt both of HB and Frawley will be here 26/27 but don't know why either would leave after the season they're having. Both have very much elevated their status in Irish rugby.

Brownlee and Turner linked to where? and where are these rumours coming from? or is it just adding 1+1 and getting 3?

It's probably the end of the road next year for one of HB or Frawley, they won't be happy being squad guys and sharing more and more of their minutes with Prendergast at 25 and 27 and could have a more important role and/or higher salary elsewhere.
This largely being my point, something has to give eventually!

Also very much commenting on how mad it is that a surely ambitious lad would rather stay the course for Leinster than walk into a starting role with Ulster. I understand and appreciate the reasons, but I think it would be a no brainer in years gone by. Humphreys might have to come out of retirement if he can't tempt an Outhalf North at this rate. Or they have to look abroad, which would be another ridiculous situation.
Everyone's having a very normal one about this on social media
You ain't seen nothing yet lol. The Irish Times think pieces will soon follow. The IRFU will probably be a bit under siege this week! The outrage from some people outside of Ireland is one I didn't see coming, nor do I understand it to be honest.

Brownlee and Turner linked to where? and where are these rumours coming from? or is it just adding 1+1 and getting 3?
It on various media sites. Brownlee is linked with Munster and Ulster. Turner with Ulster. Like it also makes sense as need to balance some bit.

It on various media sites. Brownlee is linked with Munster and Ulster. Turner with Ulster. Like it also makes sense as need to balance some bit.
I think I saw Brownlee. I know nothing about the lad though.

Realistically every fringe Leinster player will be linked somewhere this year, and the IRFU are probably having conversations with a huge number of them.

I doubt both of HB and Frawley will be here 26/27 but don't know why either would leave after the season they're having. Both have very much elevated their status in Irish rugby.
I don't disagree but if Ross wasn't injured Frawley wouldn't have got platform and Harry also wouldn't have got in to Irish squads. And as you say Prendergast is in the rear mirror.
It's the nature of beast it hard to keep them all happy and I can see definitely 2 or 3 players being pushed out this summer. Especially now with the bite back from other provinces so it will be interesting to see.

I think I saw Brownlee. I know nothing about the lad though.

Realistically every fringe Leinster player will be linked somewhere this year, and the IRFU are probably having conversations with a huge number of them.
A good centre with great potential but potential doesn't always transform to success.

I'll believe it when I see it with Brownlee and Turner. Same rumours every april/may and rarely happens.

Latest posts