This season he's had 15 starts:
5 at OC
1 at WG
9 at FB

Last season he had 18 starts:
11 at OC
4 at WG
3 at FB

Unless people now think that fullback is his proper position then he's actually playing significantly less of his proper position than usual.
Not sure how much of that isn't necessitated this season by OF injury then suspension though, if Sarries had to move AG to FH you have reasonably limited options to FB, either way he is more than capable in all 3 if others can be asked to fill into the bits he doesn't excel at, a descent run of form has done his confidence a world of good which can only bring the best out of him regardless of position.

Not sure how much of that isn't necessitated this season by OF injury then suspension though, if Sarries had to move AG to FH you have reasonably limited options to FB, either way he is more than capable in all 3 if others can be asked to fill into the bits he doesn't excel at, a descent run of form has done his confidence a world of good which can only bring the best out of him regardless of position.
I believe that only 2 of his FB starts came after Faz's ban. So he'd still have played more FB than OC.

I'd say that what Sarries see as their ideal team at the minute is Tompkins and Loz in the centres, Daly at FB and Goode on the bench. Or at least that's what they've been going for with everyone fit/unbanned.

I believe that only 2 of his FB starts came after Faz's ban. So he'd still have played more FB than OC.

I'd say that what Sarries see as their ideal team at the minute is Tompkins and Loz in the centres, Daly at FB and Goode on the bench. Or at least that's what they've been going for with everyone fit/unbanned.
Am I miss remembering or was OF not injured a fair bit though, and out with England during the autumn, I could be completely wrong but not sure how they would define an ideal team the season is long and key players often feature for England if AG is considered key in OFs absence when away eith England it makes sense to manage his game time to some extent as he is also 1st/2nd choice FB it's all speculation but doubt if decisions are solely based on best player in that position every week.

Ok, so once again:

FULL ENGLAND SQUAD

FORWARDS

Ollie Chessum
Dan Cole
Ben Curry
Alex Dombrandt
Tom Dunn
Ben Earl
Ellis Genge
Jamie George
Joe Heyes
Jonny Hill
Nick Isiekwe
Maro Itoje
Lewis Ludlam
David Ribbans
Bevan Rodd
Sam Simmonds
Kyle Sinckler
Mako Vunipola
Jack Walker
Jack Willis

BACKS
Owen Farrell
Tommy Freeman
Ollie Hassell-Collins
Dan Kelly
Ollie Lawrence
Max Malins
Joe Marchant
Alex Mitchell
Cadan Murley
Fin Smith
Marcus Smith
Freddie Steward
Manu Tuilagi
Jack van Poortvliet
Anthony Watson
Ben Youngs

I'd be really curious to know what Borthwicks preferred 15 is vs the injury set 15 he actually puts out.
Somewhat different to the XV he will field. This has been an issue since 2003 in that we go into tournaments with a dozen or more of a 35/36 missing through injury or other issues. The only time this didn't happen and we picked our best side was the last rugby WC.
I've been saying for ages we won't win anything until we learn to manage players work load and recovery better. Look at Ireland and France. It no coincidence that they are in top 3 sides in the world as they pick virtually the same XV throughput the year barring one of two injuries. England are continuously missing half a dozen starters and same again in terms of bench players 😕

Somewhat different to the XV he will field. This has been an issue since 2003 in that we go into tournaments with a dozen or more of a 35/36 missing through injury or other issues. The only time this didn't happen and we picked our best side was the last rugby WC.
I've been saying for ages we won't win anything until we learn to manage players work load and recovery better. Look at Ireland and France. It no coincidence that they are in top 3 sides in the world as they pick virtually the same XV throughput the year barring one of two injuries. England are continuously missing half a dozen starters and same again in terms of bench players 😕
I also think it's no coincidence that England look better when the players have actually been rested and look worse after particularly intense seasons. The difference in playing hours between English players and others is absolutely staggering. There was that table somewhere that I can't find any more and I think it was something stupid like 9 of the top 10 most hours played were all English and something like 50% of the top 30 were English.

Ok, so once again:

FULL ENGLAND SQUAD

FORWARDS

Ollie Chessum
Dan Cole
Ben Curry
Alex Dombrandt
Tom Dunn
Ben Earl
Ellis Genge
Jamie George
Joe Heyes
Jonny Hill
Nick Isiekwe
Maro Itoje
Lewis Ludlam
David Ribbans
Bevan Rodd
Sam Simmonds
Kyle Sinckler
Mako Vunipola
Jack Walker
Jack Willis

BACKS
Owen Farrell
Tommy Freeman
Ollie Hassell-Collins
Dan Kelly
Ollie Lawrence
Max Malins
Joe Marchant
Alex Mitchell
Cadan Murley
Fin Smith
Marcus Smith
Freddie Steward
Manu Tuilagi
Jack van Poortvliet
Anthony Watson
Ben Youngs
So im guessing all teams annouced on Thursday? Anything official up on when yet?

So what do we predict the 23 will be then?
And what do we want it to be?

I want it to be
Genge George Sinks
Itoje Chessum
Willis Dombrandt Earl
JVP Faz
Kelly Marchant
Murley Steward Freeman

Walker
Ross
Cole
Hill
Curry - benched for first cap even if he is a Curry
Mitchell - Could compliment Smith IMO
MSmith
Watson - Experience to cover for Murley first cap

I also think it's no coincidence that England look better when the players have actually been rested and look worse after particularly intense seasons. The difference in playing hours between English players and others is absolutely staggering. There was that table somewhere that I can't find any more and I think it was something stupid like 9 of the top 10 most hours played were all English and something like 50% of the top 30 were English.
Those stats don't surprise me. This is definitely the case of less is more. The RFU and clubs can't argue it's because the TV money is rolling in as since COVID it's dropped.

So im guessing all teams annouced on Thursday? Anything official up on when yet?

So what do we predict the 23 will be then?
And what do we want it to be?

I want it to be
Genge George Sinks
Itoje Chessum
Willis Dombrandt Earl
JVP Faz
Kelly Marchant
Murley Steward Freeman

Walker
Ross
Cole
Hill
Curry - benched for first cap even if he is a Curry
Mitchell - Could compliment Smith IMO
MSmith
Watson - Experience to cover for Murley first cap
Bar concussion issues I don't think anyone would argue with your 1-4, although there would be an argument that if Cole's involved he starts.

I suspect Hill will start. If not he shouldn't be involved at all. Both Chessum and Isiekwe also give back row options.

Willis and Dombrandt yes, the question is who to go alongside them. Earl's a nice shout although I think he's more likely to bench. I'd like to see Curry but suspect it will be a big bloke.

9 & 10 seems to be the way the wind is blowing but suspect Youngs will bench, which could be handy if it's all getting a bit tense.

Centres? Who knows? Could be anything but struggle to believe that Manu won't be involved somewhere. I hope Borthwick's got a clearer idea than me! If I had to lay any money I think Manu will get the benefit of the doubt at 12 with Marchant outside. I hope Lawrence is involved somewhere.

If Watson's anything like fit, he starts.

Ludlum will be in the 23. Because he's all angry and mean. Borthwick likes that kind of stuff. If he's not it's purely one eyed Tigers bias and I want Borthwick out!!!!. COYS.

Latest posts