• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 TRC] South Africa vs Australia

More of an experimental side than I expected, but I saw that a fair chunk of players have been sent to NZ early to acclimatise/train there so that makes sense

Crazy to think about the gulf in class at lock we are going to see. What a swing around! Aussies by plenty.

More of an experimental side than I expected, but I saw that a fair chunk of players have been sent to NZ early to acclimatise/train there so that makes sense
This is World Cup year; typically there is a lot of player rotation and experimenting in the rugby championship/tri-nations on World Cup year. And then no end of year games or July tours. Will be a Pretty dour year for all blacks fans.

Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 08.22.55.png

Supposedly Slipper injured in training today, so this might change

Hard to tell with a new coach but that looks like he has picked what he thinks is his top team from those available, barring kerevi being eased back from injury via the bench.

Tom hooper on his individual merits maybe doesn't make this team but it's an understandable selection given the makeup of the pack - with skelton, Michael hooper, and Valetini, Tom hooper provides another lineout option; and Nick frost with his athleticism complements having a lock blindside hybrid playing at 6. It's quite a big pack overall.

Will be interesting to see how they replace slipper. Angus bell was a massive loss to this team. Springboks will fancy themselves in the scrum.

Aussies as ever a question mark for me. I don't know half these players. I don't know who I expected but Quade Cooper is a surprise for me. I see him as a Steyn-Carter - late Wilkinson Era 10 but there he is and we have in the past struggled with Quade and Eddie sides. Will be interesting to see Aussie just as much as a few new SA faces.

Aussies as ever a question mark for me. I don't know half these players. I don't know who I expected but Quade Cooper is a surprise for me. I see him as a Steyn-Carter - late Wilkinson Era 10 but there he is and we have in the past struggled with Quade and Eddie sides. Will be interesting to see Aussie just as much as a few new SA faces.

35 year old 10. Where are they getting all these young lads?

Excited to watch this, will be on record but good to have some rugby!

Excited for this one. Is it a must win for Eddie? To keep the honeymoon aura he appears to have when joining teams.

If this were in Aus, I'd find it tough to call. As it stands, The B-Boks by 10.

This prediction probably partly comes from a fear of pumped up Aussies coming for England in the WC which could be messy.

35 year old 10. Where are they getting all these young lads?

Excited to watch this, will be on record but good to have some rugby!
I suppose if Sexton can be regarded as arguably the leading #10 in the world at 37...

That's actually crazy. A part of me hopes Ireland does really well this RWC though not if it comes at our direct cost obviously.

View attachment 17020

Eddie winning vs Rassie winning
I know you guys had an acrimonious parting but Eddie still built one of your most successful sides in recent times. I also think your slide in form has been as much about available talent as coaching.

Rassie on the other had is a whining **** who undermines officials publicly in order to attempt to garner an advantage. I know I'm biased but **** that bloke. Worst bloke in rugby (yes including Dane Coles).

Onto the actual game: this is, in my view, a fairly experimental side and probably a fair way from our best team. Eddie is trying some blokes out to see if they are worth persisting with early. Specifically: Skelton, Arnold, Hooper (T), Vunivalu, Nongorr, Uelese.

Besides Skelton (who i think has earned a shot) none of these guys qualify as first choice or, in some cases, even bench players. I think Vunivalu in particular is just straight up ****. Don't know how he went from NRL winner to scared to run but I don't understand why we are persisting with him.

I don't personally understand the interest in Arnold. Sure he's been fine in a good club team. I think we have better proven locks in Australia who should be getting a shot.

Hodge at 12 just screams pedestrian.

Boks side looks a little odd but I'd say more than enough to get over this fairly patchwork Australia side at altitude. I'd tip Boks by 20+.

Last edited:
I hope the Aussies win.

1688748497100.png

Last edited:

Latest posts