• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

5 post rule

Q

QKXV

Guys, it's a great idea to get all these lurkers to come out of their shells and get involved with the discussions and community on the forum but allowing this without laying down some solid regulations surely has the result of bringing the quality down.... maybe just a tad but it's really noticable. Especially if you consider there being so many topics called Hi, Hello, hey and what not. and posts like
I do not have any questions but if i do I know where to ask.[/b]

Posts & Topics like these are surely just time wasting, they carry no message, no information - a case of substance over style. If this board is shifting it's great creed from quality to one of quantity then please lay down some solid rules and moderate the garble we would like to call information that comes from these contributions

sincerely signed
Mona Lot

Trying hard mate, but I can only delete one post at a time unfortunately.

Believe me, behind the scenes we're working hard to cut down on the spam. Occasion posts will slip under the radar though.

Well I know your concerns because they are the same as mine...

But I assure you the staff are working non stop to make sure it is of good content, also we do have systems in place that mean that if the post just says hello it doesn't count... I think you will agree there has been some good come out of this idea and it is safeguarding one of the biggest assets to this forum...

But any ideas would be helpful... I am going to merge a whole load of hello threads into one, I think...

But I assure you the staff are working non stop to make sure it is of good content, also we do have systems in place that mean that if the post just says hello it doesn't count... I think you will agree there has been some good come out of this idea and it is safeguarding one of the biggest assets to this forum...

But any ideas would be helpful... I am going to merge a whole load of hello threads into one, I think...
[/b]

Thanks, it's good to know you guys are on it...... and if Webby's working hard it will keep him out of trouble, bless him. I acknowledge that alot of good has come from it but I'd rather say something than watch this place go to the dogs.

If for every 5 spamathon posters there is one Gold Poster I personally think that these early hiccups will be worth it - we can always curb the pointless waste of timers, but we can't grow good posters like you yourself except by giving them an incentive to step out and feel welcomed by the community and encourage them to be active.

As the others have said the staff is working hard and when its all said and done this will be worth it if we can get a new line of regular contributors out there.

That's totally fair enough mate...

Christ your a customer and one of our biggest at that... so we will always listen and act upon if we can...

Christ I have Invested too much money/time/effort to let this place go down hill...

If for every 5 spamathon posters there is one Gold Poster I personally think that these early hiccups will be worth it - we can always curb the pointless waste of timers, but we can't grow good posters like you yourself except by giving them an incentive to step out and feel welcomed by the community and encourage them to be active.

As the others have said the staff is working hard and when its all said and done this will be worth it if we can get a new line of regular contributors out there.
[/b]

Cheers for the explanation Ripper, puts it all in a very good perspective

We'll have to deal with the pain, thats what happens in forums, you can't really defend against it other than keep a vigilant watch and make sure everyone keeps to the rules.

Allot of those schmucks just want to get their five posts as quickly as possible and go back to lurking in the EA Sports forum again but we are getting a good few guys who looked up and said "crikey! There is a whole other forum up there!" and got stuck in.

[/b]

Just lock the introduction forum for new posts so that the Hellos go into the existing threads. I mean it's great to see new members but I take your point about all the individual intro threads.

i think it is encouraging people 2 spam! [/b]

No people feel it necessary to spam to get their post count up, but our staff are on the case... if people can put a constructive opinion on the forum, they should be rewarded with access to the Rugby Gaming sections... Its really to highlight the fact that this forum isn't just about Rugby Gaming forums, it has a whole lot else... although you make a valid point with your nice spam post

Hopefully it might get some people to also realise that this forum is provided to them free of charge.

Some places might force people to cough up in order to gain access to the exclusive information and downloads we give for the rugby games.

Anyone who feels making 5 constructive posts is too much to ask doesn't really deserve access at all.

Well you could class it as going into a shop and reading every magazine without ever buying... or going to the dvd rental and just watching the clips of the films...

A forum is designed for discussion and for discussion you need people to contribute...

Already seen a few newbies actually post something decent, sure there's the crap ones, but we're all weeding them out slowly but surely.

Those who don't put an effort in posting first off, well they'll most likely just bugger off anyway, it's the one's who make the initial effort are likely to hang around I'd say.

Plus we're only going to get more and more from here on in to the cup, so we may as well get used to it :p

Thanks for making the point, QKXV. Tis a valid one. The reason we have felt it neccessary to do this is because we believe that our conversion rates are poor. Very poor in fact. We have over 3000 members. Over 2000 of these have never posted. I think that making the initial post is something that some of these people struggle with. I do believe that so far there has been a pretty positive impact so far and people are easing themselves into the forum's framework.

My only qualm with this is, that rugby gaming gets alot of people into posting regurlarly, myself included. Here you have good intentions to cut down on ghost members but to do this, is there not any other things.

I'd find that if I was posting for postings sake, i'd get the milestone and buggar off.

BM

eh lads Im not the biggest fan of the idea to be honest.

I'm a new joiner and I joined because I'm trying desperately to find rugby 08 info.

I'm also a keen munster and ireland fan so I'll happily contribute about them when I want to, but it doesn't give off a great 1st impression to new members to be forced into posting stuff before you can read what you came here to read!

Added to that this is about my 8th post and I still can't get into any of those forums? Whats the story?

but it doesn't give off a great 1st impression to new members to be forced into posting stuff before you can read what you came here to read!
[/b]

We don't charge anything for all the exclusive information we provide do we?

This forum started dishing out information long before EA announced anything of substance. It's hardly a chore that we ask people to make a small contribution to discussion in order to gain access to that info is it?