• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

6 Nations Thread 2023

No reason why building and winning can't be concurrent.

It'd be a hell of a turnaround for both, looking at SA in 2018 and the malaise and lower standards set by the previous regime took that entire year to cut out, there were some bad days in there.
Definitely aim to do both, but building takes time and there is only a limited amount you can do between now and the world cup. You have what, 8 games including warm ups? Within that time you need to assess who you might select, train with tactics, test combinations out and then try in within a game. It doesn't leave much margin for error. You're better off tweaking the previous team and building on it. However, winning and confidence should be the priority. Neither England nor Wales are bad teams, but they have lacked direction and confidence. That small difference can yield huge results if addressed and winning usually does. (Though winning under EJ, didn't seem to do much when England were playing badly. They just kept on playing badly and scraping wins.)

Get this going with the announcement of referees.

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/high-performance/officiating/778278

Raynal for Wales v England... This website will explode!

Barnes for Ireland v France doesn't please me too much, Irish teams tend to get a tough ride with him.

Also, as a general statement, anything short of a grand slam has to be views as a failure for us this tournament. Number one team, playing the defending champs and third best team in the comp at home and a fairly favourable draw. Not saying we will win it but that has to be the standard set.
Raynal shouldn't be an international ref, and Barnes actually refs the breakdown

Raynal shouldn't be an international ref, and Barnes actually refs the breakdown
Barnes being right and the rest of world rugby refs being wrong has never sat well with me.

He's incredibly assured and consistent which is great. But he generally picks something out of thin air pre game and refs it to death for the first 20 mins. Not too well loved outside of England, Wales and Scotland (all teams with loads of prem experience) amd is the only reason we didn't win a slam in 2014.

Things you love to see.

Something would have to go very wrong for us to lose this one (has happened plenty of times with us tbf). It's down as the tightest game of the weekend, we're 6 point favourites, but I don't really see it that way regardless of a change in coach.

Gatland has also been totally unsuccessful in the past three years so you've got a losing coach join a losing team against the world number 1. Mot impossible but I reckon Ireland have never been bigger favourites going to Cardiff than next week.

Things you love to see.

Something would have to go very wrong for us to lose this one (has happened plenty of times with us tbf). It's down as the tightest game of the weekend, we're 6 point favourites, but I don't really see it that way regardless of a change in coach.

Gatland has also been totally unsuccessful in the past three years so you've got a losing coach join a losing team against the world number 1. Mot impossible but I reckon Ireland have never been bigger favourites going to Cardiff than next week.
I agree. I mean, have ireland ever gone to Cardiff as the number 1 ranked team in the world?

It's a big ask, but what I would say is, while under Pivac I would've put this down as a 20 point loss I do expect a close-ish game and to keep it around 10 points so I don't see you being 6 point favourites as way out there.

I agree. I mean, have ireland ever gone to Cardiff as the number 1 ranked team in the world?

It's a big ask, but what I would say is, while under Pivac I would've put this down as a 20 point loss I do expect a close-ish game and to keep it around 10 points so I don't see you being 6 point favourites as way out there.
I'd have the line at 9 and England's at 6 (theirs is 9).

I don't expect Ireland to have it all go their way like last year but it just seems unsurmountable without drastic change for both sides for a home W.

I hate being this confident ahead of a game though.

Can't ask for a better game first up from a Welsh pov. Losing would be understandable vs the no1 ranked side in the world (as long as we don't completely **** the bed), but win and confidence will rocket (especially after a good showing in Europe for the regions).

I'm hoping that a majority Ospreys pack which has been going well of late will be able to stand toe to toe with the Irish in most areas. New combo at 10-12 is exciting, but a worry vs such a strong side.

I think it'll be tight and hoping Wales can come out on top.

Edit. Lake is a big loss though. He would have added much needed impact in the last quarter alongside the likes of Carre and Brown. Potentially game winning impact too. There's still impact available, and I think we'll see Kieran Williams on the bench to offer similar impact vs tired legs as well.

Last edited:

Screenshot_20230131_105620.jpg

I think that is the likely outcome though I do fancy us to beat England and I usually err on the side of caution in that game.

I've seen some people raising concerns about the netflix show as the F1 series, apparently, fabricated a load of extra drama via creative editing

Gatland concerned about the type of language used in the dressing room pre-game, as well, and that Netflix is solely in charge of editing etc.

Latest posts