• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

'95 back in the spotlight again, suzie at it again.

Larksea

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...s-poisoned-all-blacks-in-1995-rugby-world-cup

always interesting every once in a while it gets dug up again. This time "Former police commander Rory Steyn, who was chief bodyguard to South African president Nelson Mandela" has come forward and said that the AB's were poisoned and believes it was betting syndicates.

All very interesting but proves nothing.

IMO:

The only thing that is without a doubt is that the AB's were struck quite badly with sickness and it absolutely affected them for the final, that much is irrefutable.

Was it deliberate? Probably, it wound be naive to dismiss it as just a freak accident. Im 99% sure it was, I'm convinced that one day some of the players involved will break the silence and bring some more information but for the most part it is in the past and nothing can change the result so why bother.

Who did it? Ive absolutely no idea... This new info (if you can call it that) doesn't change anything.

His comments doesn't say much - "I think" being used way too much.

And here's a question, Why was one of Mandela's bodyguards with the All Blacks the whole time?? Wasn't he deserting his post???

Maybe there was an injustice done back in 1995 and it'll leave a bad taste in AB fans mouth, but that can be got over. We're not talking about a Hillsborough proportion size of injustice, which looks the biggest cover up in British legal history.

Maybe there was an injustice done back in 1995 and it'll leave a bad taste in AB fans mouth, but that can be got over. We're not talking about a Hillsborough proportion size of injustice, which looks the biggest cover up in British legal history.

Oh Believe me when I tell you that the AB fans have had a bad taste in their mouth about this topic since '95! That is not new. Ask any Saffa and they'll say that every AB fan they have ever talked to has some form of anger/disgust about the poisoning of the AB's in '95.

But yeah, It's nothing compared to the Hillsborough cover-up.

Oh Believe me when I tell you that the AB fans have had a bad taste in their mouth about this topic since '95! That is not new. Ask any Saffa and they'll say that every AB fan they have ever talked to has some form of anger/disgust about the poisoning of the AB's in '95.

For England fans they won't stop banging on about Wayne Barnes in 2007 QF RWC v France.

But yep, currently reading the Hillsborough Independent Panel report and it's a bloody disgrace what the families had to go through to get justice after 27 years and it's still not over until criminal prosecutions are made against those who failed in their duty of care to the fans who died and were injured. Puts into context that in sport winning and losing isn't everything.

Part of the trouble is that many South Africans won't even accept that the AB's were ill that day because to them, even that takes away from their win. However, I will never forget the sight of a deathly white Goldie on the sideline vomiting his guts out. Perhaps NZ fans would have found it easier to get past it if some South African fans didn't go on and on and on about 1987 and 1991 not being "real" World Cups because they weren't in it.

These days, it really only the media who aren't over it. Kamo and Goldie were on "The Breakdown" tonight and they said they are well over it.

Sounds like attention seeking. Besides if I remember correctly rugby was not 'professional' then. New Zealand deserved the world cups they have won and they do play the best rugby now. I love watching New Zealand teams play ! Anyway just weird that they could not move the match to another day for me :/

None of this is new information. Steyn had gone into all this 16 years ago. The "news" here is that he is in NZ speacking.

The frustrating part for New Zealanders is that it is always looked at like a wild conspiracy and an excuse by certain people - despite the very obvious signs players were very ill. I'm certainly not hung up on it though. Plenty of other things have happened since 95

One is very likely to pick up food poisoning looking at the itinerary some travelling teams have. I'm actually surprised we havn't heard of visiting sports teams complaining about picking up tuberculosis in SA seeing as we are the world hot spot for the highly contagious illness. Visitors visit dodgy areas with the best intentions but don't always realize the risks.

One is very likely to pick up food poisoning looking at the itinerary some travelling teams have. I'm actually surprised we havn't heard of visiting sports teams complaining about picking up tuberculosis in SA seeing as we are the world hot spot for the highly contagious illness. Visitors visit dodgy areas with the best intentions but don't always realize the risks.

This! When I was a student, I worked at the Sheraton Hotel & Towers across from the Union Buildings. it was at that stage the only 5-star hotel in Pretoria, and I was a victim of food poisoning at that hotel after eating a chicken kebab (sosatie) at a Dinner Function...

But yeah, It's nothing compared to the Hillsborough cover-up.

That's interesting, because I can honestly say that every time I have come face to face with a South African fan, this subject has never even been talked about. For me, this has gone from a subject of anger/disappointment (at the time), to one of curiosity/intrigue ... It's not something that I even think about now, despite the media saying that we hang on to it/can't get over it.

Part of the trouble is that many South Africans won't even accept that the AB's were ill that day because to them, even that takes away from their win. However, I will never forget the sight of a deathly white Goldie on the sideline vomiting his guts out. Perhaps NZ fans would have found it easier to get past it if some South African fans didn't go on and on and on about 1987 and 1991 not being "real" World Cups because they weren't in it.

These days, it really only the media who aren't over it. Kamo and Goldie were on "The Breakdown" tonight and they said they are well over it.

yeah that image of Goldie is burned in my mind as well. Apparently some other players had even crapped their shorts during the game. Would not have been pretty.

At the end of the day SA won and it's in the books as that, but we all now NZ would have won if we had not been sick, SA would not have stood a chance.

At the end of the day SA won and it's in the books as that, but we all now NZ would have won if we had not been sick, SA would not have stood a chance.

Its this kind of attitude that makes it hard to have any kind of reasonable discussion.

Its this kind of attitude that makes it hard to have any kind of reasonable discussion.
^this

Pretty much any time NZ lose all the other fans have to put with "were the best anyway if only we hadn't been ill/cheated by ref/been terrible injured".

The other side of that coin is the SA attitude of accusing players like JW throwing up having ridiculous nerves and throwing up all over the pitch. Which has pretty much been the SA counter argument. Which is just as flimsy as Suzy poisoning the boys.

The other side of that coin is the SA attitude of accusing players like JW throwing up having ridiculous nerves and throwing up all over the pitch. Which has pretty much been the SA counter argument. Which is just as flimsy as Suzy poisoning the boys.

I have never heard of or used that argument as a South African.

Latest posts