Kiwiwomble

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Otago
....we don't celebrate

winning it means so little, there no parade, little or no welcome back to the team. the whole comp just kind of ends....

Is it different in South Africa when you've won?

The six nations is no different really. If I had to choose I take the Rugby Championship every time.

The six nations is no different really. If I had to choose I take the Rugby Championship every time.

I'd say the 6N is more celebrated because it's less of a foregone conclusion. Look at the split of results from the last 23
16 NZ
4 Australia
3 SA

Compare that to the 5N/6N over the same time:
7 England
7 France
4 Wales
4 Ireland
1 Scotland

There is less clear dominance with the 2 teams that have won the most overall also being a fair bit weaker at present. In the next 10 years those results could become even closer to each other. I cannot see the rugby championship becoming closer, only drifting further and further in NZ's favour.

I'd say the 6N is more celebrated because it's less of a foregone conclusion. Look at the split of results from the last 23
16 NZ
4 Australia
3 SA

7 England
7 France
4 Wales
4 Ireland
1 Scotland

There is less clear dominance with the 2 teams that have won the most overall also being a fair bit weaker at present. In the next 10 years those results could become even closer to each other. I cannot see the rugby championship becoming closer, only drifting further and further in NZ's favour.
This. Just wait till the rest of the world gets to endure 3, 4 or 5 NZ world cup wins in a row. It kills interest pretty damn quick.

We get to play the fuckers 3 times a year and Australia is about the only country in the world where interest in Rugby is actively declining at a steady rate (though there are obviously other factors involved).

....we don't celebrate

winning it means so little, there no parade, little or no welcome back to the team. the whole comp just kind of ends....

Is it different in South Africa when you've won?

We don't really do parades... I think the last parade for a sports team was the last time the Bulls won the Super Rugby tournament.

But when it comes to celebrations, you should've seen how the country reacted after our win in Wellington. It was a buzz, and social media was a frenzy. I think one of the places where you saw a lot of happiness and discussions were the Butcheries. I remember going to the butchery the following monday, it was playing rugby songs on the radio, the queue for biltong was out the door, everyone was talking about the game, and there was hope again.

I think the way we celebrate is more low-key. We celebrate the moment we win, and have a massive braai with a lot of drinking. but the next day we have to go to church, and then it sort of goes downward from there.

16 NZ
4 Australia
3 SA

7 England
7 France
4 Wales
4 Ireland
1 Scotland

The quality of Rugby is better in the Championship though.

This. Just wait till the rest of the world gets to endure 3, 4 or 5 NZ world cup wins in a row. It kills interest pretty damn quick.

We get to play the fuckers 3 times a year and Australia is about the only country in the world where interest in Rugby is actively declining at a steady rate (though there are obviously other factors involved).

I don't think this will happen. I fancy the Boks to win either 2019 or 2023

The quality of Rugby is better in the Championship though.
Debatable and not with NZ putting big scores (+40 pt) on the opposition. The 6N is better as a competition - more competitive and less predictible.

Debatable and not with NZ putting big scores (+40 pt) on the opposition. The 6N is better as a competition - more competitive and less predictible.

Also debatable. 6 Nations have poor referees, and at times poor quality players too.

But at the same time, every year varies. I think this year SA and Argentina have really stepped up to where they were the last 2 seasons, and the the same can be said about a team like Italy.

It's also not always the scoreline that creates the intensity...

Here we go again the NH trying to diss SH rugby, first we have to hear year round that Super rugby is dead, where i actually found Super rugby very unpredictable for most of the matches except the Crusader, and the fact of the matter is that they were a great team and deserved to win, but us middle teams could still find entertainment in attempting to reach the playoffs and so on, the games were of high quality.

Then the Rugby Championship, yes it has been won by the same team for probably too long but so what? thats what happens if you are going through a golden age. The time will come again where SA and Aus will win it again. This year it was close, im going to participate in ifs and buts now: "but" if SA could just beat Argentina away from home, then that last game between the All Blacks and Springboks on Loftus would have been for the championship.
I think many South Africans has started to watch rugby again and people who didnt want anything to do with it was actively watching this rugby championship here in South Africa.

The worst thing for global rugby at this point in time is the greedy French clubs, buying players from all over the world and not allowing them to represent their nations of birth.

Also debatable. 6 Nations have poor referees, and at times poor quality players too.

But at the same time, every year varies. I think this year SA and Argentina have really stepped up to where they were the last 2 seasons, and the the same can be said about a team like Italy.

It's also not always the scoreline that creates the intensity...

last 2 games have been much closer. But they're the exception not the norm.

Fans don't like predictable results. And with NZ winning almost every time the RC has become very predictable.

Some of the first few weeks rugby quality wise in the Six Nations is dire. But the historical rivalries between the original 5 nations will always be there and makes me as viewer always interested.

I also think the rugby in RC is better quality wise, but suffers because of the recent decline in the Wallabies and Springboks.

Pumas are better than Italy though.

The worst thing for global rugby at this point in time is the greedy French clubs, buying players from all over the world and not allowing them to represent their nations of birth.
BWAHAHAHAHA. They don't have that kind of power.

last 2 games have been much closer. But they're the exception not the norm.

Fans don't like predictable results. And with NZ winning almost every time the RC has become very predictable.

And just think of how one sided it would've been if NZ as they are now, played the 6N instead of the RC? It's just unfortunate for us to have such a strong opponent who seems invincible, but then again, that adds more excitement when there is an upset win.

And just think of how one sided it would've been if NZ as they are now, played the 6N instead of the RC? It's just unfortunate for us to have such a strong opponent who seems invincible, but then again, that adds more excitement when there is an upset win.
absolutely. The 6 Nations don't deserve to scale the heights of sporting boredom. We like it with our one-legged players, roll of the dice slug fests, dodgy refs, warts and all!

I accept the fact that the TRC can be of higher quality at times. New Zealand being New Zealand, and I feel like they bring out the best in other teams. Everyone gets fired up for New Zealand. Whether skill levels (and thus natural quality of matches) are better in the SH than NH is debatable, I'm sure that's a massive study onto itself. But the 6N has plenty of quality/"high skill" matches too, though perhaps to the same frequency. That said, I find the history, drama, rivalries, massive atmosphere at matches, format, unpredictability and competitiveness of the 6N to far outweigh the sometimes higher quality matches of TRC.

But everyone will have their biases. SH fans prefer SH rugby and NH fans prefer NH rugby, what do you expect? I find which is the superior rugby hemisphere debate tiresome. We will always prefer our own rugby, but I still love SH rugby for what it is, and just appreciate both styles/sides to it. Honestly, I think I'm one of the few people who is kinda looking forward to seeing how this League of Nations thing plays out. I love the clash of hemispheres, and from what I understand this will basically still be the same SH and NH tours, but within a tournament format, giving just a bit more purpose and excitement to our annual hemispherical clashes. The WC will still be king because it's a free for all in a shorter, more grueling time frame.

Anyways, I do fear that NZ dominance will stifle the growth of rugby a bit. I'm not saying they should stop being dominant, obviously, the best team wins simple as. But it does kinda suck if 3 or 4 World Cups in a row are won by them. At this rate you just want anyone but New Zealand to win, ever. I love New Zealand and the All Blacks but I can't remember a time I've ever cheered for them, solely due to the fact you tire of seeing them win almost every match.

From NZ, I wouldn't say the quality from SA or Aus is any better than in the 6N.

The Springboks and New Zealand have had 1 point between them in total over the last 3 games. (although the game before that was a bit one sided) Will be interesting to see what happens this autumn and at the world cup

BWAHAHAHAHA. They don't have that kind of power.

You really don't help yourself. You could have pointed out that those in the southern hemisphere dug their own graves by creating professionalism in the first place and that it would be churlish to complain about it now.

Latest posts