• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

Well lads Munster met already and here are main points.
- Possibly a whole new coaching staff coming in and rumours are Foley and Jim Williams been top men (Jim coming after World Cup)
- We have decided to try make the Amlin and win it. My understanding is we need to better Castres score or something and reason we want in is to blood younger guys and start the rebuild process. Also we realize if we win it out Connacht qualify for Heineken Cup
- We need to fix the scrum and return to basics. This means recruiting the correct props.

All in all alot of work and changes to be made but nothing is impossible

Would McGahan also be on his way out or would it just be the assistant coaches?

Bradley would want the top job though and as for McGahan - his future is up for discussion next month.

Rumours in papers about Ian Nagle possibly going to Northampton but I can say he is in advanced talks here for a full contract so not too worried.

He's got alot of potential, and by potential I mean international class. With him and Lawes at the club Northampton would be set for the next six or seven years.

He is 6'6. A very good athletic lock. Probably needs a bit more bulk but will be an international lock.
Lawes is probably similar except a bit more advanced in terms physical development

Better backup to Day and Lawes then Sorrenson certainly wouldn't go amiss.

Munster kick off the weekend action in Garryowen FC on Friday night as they take on Esher RFC in the British and Irish Cup, ko 7.30pm.

http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?...y : News : British and Irish Cup Squad&src=sp

Munster remain in second place in Pool B of the B&I Cup after last weekend's one point victory away to Nottingham, and need to continue their winning form if they hope to advance to the knock-out stages as one of the top two placings. Esher and Munster met in a challenge game last season at Molesey Road and Munster Head Coach Anthony Foley is only too aware of the challenge that is in store on Friday night.
"Last time we played at home in the B&I Cup we lost, so there can be no room whatsoever for complacency. As an English Championship side with a strong pack we're in store for a tough physical battle and look forward to it. We played them last season so we have some knowledge of what they are capable of, and nothing has changed in that we still have to go out and win all our games. We hope that the local supporters will come out in numbers and look at some of the younger Munster players in action."
Munster B&I Cup Squad:
Forwards:
David Kilcoyne, Peter Borlase, Stephen Archer, Duncan Casey, Sean Henry, Dave O'Callaghan, Dave Foley, TBC, Billy Holland, Tommy O'Donnell, Brian O'Hara, Paddy Butler, Brian Hayes.
Backs: Duncan Williams, Cathal Sheridan, Conor Murray, Declan Cusack, Ivan Dineen, Tom Gleeson, Danny Barnes, Simon Zebo, Troy Smith, JJ Hanrahan, Sean Scanlon.
There are some good players in that squad. DOC 2.0, Foley, O'Hara, O'Donnell, Butler and Hayes are talented back 5 members of the pack. I've liked the look of Zebo when I've seen him play while Hanrahan also has breakout potential. Dineen, Murray, Williams and Scanlon can all carve out decent careers too.

Critisism of du Preez is harsh IMO. Compare Cian Healy's scrummaging with Buckley/Hayes at tighthead for Ireland and with Ross at tighthead for Leinster. Makes a difference. All the same, get rid of him and sign a tighthead!

Still, major changes to the squad needed. Buckley's international contract should not be renewed. Get rid of du Preez and sign a tighthead. Coughlan, who I like, isn't the solution at 6 for next season, but a good squad player. Scrumhalf? :/

12? Get rid of Mafi and Tipoki. Give Dineen a go.

So I'd be getting rid of: Buckley, Hayes, du Preez, Mafi and Tuitupou. Warwick is leaving unfortunately.

Would leave us with 3 NIQ spots to fill. International class players or stick with our young lads. No journeymen.

Anthony Foley keeps the same forward pack that battled to victory against Nottingham while making a number of changes to his backline for Friday's British & Irish Cup clash with Esher at Garryowen FC (7.30pm).

Three of those backline changes are necessitated by the call up to the senior squad for Scott Deasy Tom Gleeson and Denis Hurley with Declan Cusack named at out-half, Troy Smith replacing Gleeson in the centre and Sean Scanlon at full-back in place of Hurley.

Other than that, Duncan Williams starts on this occasion ahead of Conor Murray who is named among the replacements with Simon Zebo starting on the wing having come off the bench against Nottingham last weekend.

Munster: Sean Scanlon; Danny Barnes, Ivan Dineen, Troy Smith, Simon Zebo; Declan Cusack, Duncan Williams; Dave Kilcoyne, Sean Henry, Stephen Archer; AN Other, Dave Foley; Billy Holland capt, Tommy O'Donnell, Paddy Butler. Replacements: Duncan Casey, Peter Borlase, Dave O'Callaghan, Brian O'Hara, Conor Murray, JJ Hanrahan, Corey Hircock.
<!-- Signature -->
Peter Borlase can't get in the team- it's too early to write him off but the signs aren't promising. Was he given a 2 or 3 year contract? Would have liked to have seen Dave O'Callaghan and JJ Hanrahan start.

Snoop he is on 3 year deal but well 2 and half because of this year been half. But we are doing well developing under Axel.
Watching lads train over the week they seem to have that fire some senior lads lack at moment.
As for team I think people should keep look out in future for Dave Foley who is every bit as impressive as Nagle.
JJ Hanrahan had dead leg earlier in week and I presume it didn't help his cause.
Ian Nagle was doing a good bit with the senior lads but I hope he isn't the AN Other.
Tom Gleeson I'm surprised is ommitted as it's unlikely he will be selected. Scott Deasy and Denis are in the eye.

As for team I think people should keep look out in future for Dave Foley who is every bit as impressive as Nagle.
Any truth to the rumour that Bath were looking to sign Foley earlier in the season? I was at a Leinster A v Munster A game earlier this season when Foley and Nagle took Leinster's international second row pair of Hogan and Galarza to the cleaners. POC, DOC, MOD, T Hayes, D Ryan, I Nagle, D Foley, B Hayes, DOC 2.0, D O'Mahony........is there no end to Munster's second row production line?!

We'll swap a backrow for a lock :)
But Snoop the facts are English clubs are looking closely at the academy guys because as long as their not on full contracts as such it's open season and well it's down to loyalty.
Foley was been looked at but I think he is loyal and I'd be thinking him and Nagle will be the new DOC/POC partnership.
I don't think D. Ryan will make it to the level we need and the fact the 2 lads have gel'd as a partnership helps them both

About Nagle and Dave Foley, everybody I heard comparing the two prior to Nagle getting the nod against Australia and Ulster (while Foley was injured may I add), rated Foley higher. Nagle obviously put in Man of the Match performances in these games and has taken his chance, hope he gets into the 22 for Saturday, I see no other reason to add him to the HEC squad.

Foley is an excellent prospect all the same, would be a huge signing for Connacht, and a good signing for just about anybody.

Munster producing the second row and hookers, Leinster the back row :p A few props and we would be sorted!

I also heard Foley was the better prospect. We'll have him to replace the Full 70 thank you very much.

In return, we agree to capitulate at Thomond Park again next year.

And if I may add if ever there was a fella making a statement then let's talk Nagle after tonight. Really stood up and gave a performance. But we had alot of youngsters put in good shift tonight as now they smell the chance of breaking in to the first team

With O'Connell, O'Driscoll, O'Callaghan and Ryan selected for 6 Nations or Wolfhound duty, Nagle has a chance to make a mark. I hope he takes it and Tony McGahan selects on form for once his galacticos return.

Anybody read Brendan Fanning's article in the sindo about the demise of Munster? He needlessly put the boot in over issues which he's clearly wanted to write about for some time such as his dis-satisfaction with Munster's press relations. It's a shame because some of the points he raised were valid. The one which would worry me is the claim that there's a "them and us" divide being created between the established front line players and the backups. In short, the established players are picked regardless of form and the backups don't have a chance to get in. Tony McGahan needs to nip that in the bud if true. It's something that supposedly plagued Leinster until a year or to ago also.

Read it snoop and agree that he did have valid points but the talk of a split isn't valid. I think Nagle will see plenty of time and will be involved in amlin.
Way we looking at it Now is Munster for Amlin. Leinster for Heineken and we will settle it in ML :D

Actually the Amlin draw was kind to Munster. Brive are very beatable and Munster must be fancied if they get a home semi final. Truth be told, if Munster win the Amlin and get to at least a Magners League final, it will be a good season (if not what they'd hoped for last September).

Latest posts