• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

Jenkins is confrimed. New contract for Fineen and Barron. Jason Jenkins will join the province next season & Academy quartet Thomas Ahern, Jack Crowley, Jack Daly & Josh Wycherley are being promoted to the senior squad. There's a weird idea out there that Munster are not using the academy, they will soon have no academy players left after they're all promoted, but the Jenkins signing is...... weird. Ask me if I'd rather sign a 1 cap South African who hasn't shown that much or keep Cronin its not even a question I would keep Cronin.

Jenkins is confrimed. New contract for Fineen and Barron. Jason Jenkins will join the province next season & Academy quartet Thomas Ahern, Jack Crowley, Jack Daly & Josh Wycherley are being promoted to the senior squad. There's a weird idea out there that Munster are not using the academy, they will soon have no academy players left after they're all promoted, but the Jenkins signing is...... weird. Ask me if I'd rather sign a 1 cap South African who hasn't shown that much or keep Cronin its not even a question I would keep Cronin.
Jenkins has small hurdle to cross

Well to be fair I think most reasonable people would recognise that Munster have committed to their academy in the last few years.

I do think this signing is a backwards step on that front though.

Well to be fair I think most reasonable people would recognise that Munster have committed to their academy in the last few years.

To be honest from mumbings here in camp. It seems this will be in similar fashion to Jean Deysel signing. To cover international breaks etc. Take in that it is expected Coombes, POM, Beirne will all be gone at international breaks and player rest.

Mostly still thinking of the pants on head 42 comments where there are 0 reasonable people.

I also think it's a backwards step of a signing. If Ahern loses even a second of game time to this guy based purely on a head to head selection it was a mistake. He may be a great lad and a good player and I hope no one is nasty towards him, but fans from what I've seen have been as negative as I can remember of this signing. The timing is absolutely awful as well. Looks like an attempt to throw another big South African at the problem even though I understand the management probably view him as a cover guy and a safety blanket for injuries. Just feel that even a pretty average Irish guy could have done that job though.

Mostly still thinking of the pants on head 42 comments where there are 0 reasonable people.

I also think it's a backwards step of a signing. If Ahern loses even a second of game time to this guy based purely on a head to head selection it was a mistake. He may be a great lad and a good player and I hope no one is nasty towards him, but fans from what I've seen have been as negative as I can remember of this signing. The timing is absolutely awful as well. Looks like an attempt to throw another big South African at the problem even though I understand the management probably view him as a cover guy and a safety blanket for injuries. Just feel that even a pretty average Irish guy could have done that job though.
The timing is the worst thing. I'm sure this deal has been on the cards for a while before Saturday, but coming so quickly after a bad loss just makes it look like throwing money at the problem is their solution. I also think we overrate low cap players from other countries in Ireland. Irish 1 cap players are Rory O'Loughlin, Copeland, Sam Arnold, Noel Reid etc. There's no reason to think a South African player with similar cap numbers is going to be much better.

So Larkham has said Jenkins will primarily play in the backrow? Doesn't really mesh with the idea of Beirne and Wycherley being viewed as 6s. I understand Munster probably had to scramble a bit with Stander but this whole thing is just strange to me. I appreciate I am approaching it from a different pov tounster fans as I'm more concerned about player development for Ireland than Munster immediate success but still... it's just weird.

Jenkins is a very underrated player if you ask me. He and RG Snyman was a formiddable lock pair for the Bulls, and he has since improved a lot. He can also play flanker and no. 8.

Jenkins is a very underrated player if you ask me. He and RG Snyman was a formiddable lock pair for the Bulls, and he has since improved a lot. He can also play flanker and no. 8.
I think this is it. Alot of his most recent rugby is at 6.

Can't see player development harmed as we are very very light at lock still and backrow isn't overflowing. Add in injuries or international breaks and we are hit.

@TRF_heineken is he a weapon at lineout? Seems a big unit. Himself and RG aren't lacking in height.

I am less concerned about the signing if he can play a variety of positions. My understanding was he was a pure SR, but happy to learn this isn't the case as our squad for next year doesn't feel massive to be honest. That said, I do think there were domestic options available and if we were importing I would have chosen a prop.

I am less concerned about the signing if he can play a variety of positions. My understanding was he was a pure SR, but happy to learn this isn't the case as our squad for next year doesn't feel massive to be honest. That said, I do think there were domestic options available and if we were importing I would have chosen a prop.
To be fair I know Dillane was approached earlier in season but wasn't interested.

I think this is it. Alot of his most recent rugby is at 6.

Can't see player development harmed as we are very very light at lock still and backrow isn't overflowing. Add in injuries or international breaks and we are hit.

@TRF_heineken is he a weapon at lineout? Seems a big unit. Himself and RG aren't lacking in height.
Well, he was trained by Victor Matfield.

And when was the last time the Bulls produced a poor lineout second rower???

Munster Rugby can confirm that Cian Hurley and Conor Phillips have been contracted to the Greencore Munster Rugby Academy.

Latest posts