• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A History Thread

came across this while not doing my job a couple weeks ago
interesting the brits don't have a national day. I'd go for one of the Scottish and English union days or for the Battle of Hastings.

Are there concerns about not wanting a day until unification? Celebrate unification rather than independence? Maybe don't want a day that could be targeted?

The 1916 Rising is usually remembered which was the catalyst for the war of independence post WW1. The national holidays are both patron Saints days (Patrick and, as of next year, Brigid) which shows the religious nature of the state still, utterly daft to add a Bank Holiday for a Saint in this day an age in my opinion.

I don't think it's anything to do with unification directly and unification probably wouldn't be a great national day either given a portion of the country that will need to be welcomed won't exactly want to celebrate it.

came across this while not doing my job a couple weeks ago
interesting the brits don't have a national day. I'd go for one of the Scottish and English union days or for the Battle of Hastings.

Are there concerns about not wanting a day until unification? Celebrate unification rather than independence? Maybe don't want a day that could be targeted?
Why celebrate Battle of Hastings? Its a day we got conquered by a foreign ruling power.

People barely acknowledge St George's Day (I couldn't tell you what month it's in let alone what day) I doubt you'd get many people up for a UK nationalism parade - at least not many that aren't out waving flags the rest of the year anyway

St George's day is 23 April but we have enough bank holidays that time of year. I've always advocated them putting one aside for Monday after Remembrance Sunday.

Not that keen on a national day. St George is patron saint of about 20 other places, didn't ever visit England and certainly didn't slay any dragon so if I was a Christian I wouldn't be too happy that was my saint when you have the likes of St Cuthbert.

Like the bank holidays as they are, they all have quite historical meaning especially May day which has been celebrated on these islands since before any Christian told us all we were sinners.

If you are going to have a national day then it should be Halloween. Love Halloween.

The 1916 Rising is usually remembered which was the catalyst for the war of independence post WW1. The national holidays are both patron Saints days (Patrick and, as of next year, Brigid) which shows the religious nature of the state still, utterly daft to add a Bank Holiday for a Saint in this day an age in my opinion.

I don't think it's anything to do with unification directly and unification probably wouldn't be a great national day either given a portion of the country that will need to be welcomed won't exactly want to celebrate it.

I've never really thought about why the south don't have a bit celebration for the date of Independence.

I guess looking at it now they don't because of partitions?

I mean the north 'celebrates' the Battle of the Boyne for some strange reason

No it wasn't
it was a joke but the English language is heavily influenced by French and the amount of English names of French origin is substantial. IDK how you can say it wasn't a large cultural moment.

it was a joke but the English language is heavily influenced by French and the amount of English names of French origin is substantial. IDK how you can say it wasn't a large cultural moment.
Well they built a lot of castles but kind of destroyed Anglo Saxon culture in the process. Much of the reason England has St George os it patron saint is because he was seen as a Knightly military saint very much Norman in his make up while St Cuthbert who was actually an Anglo Saxon was relegated.

This also followed a period of about 500 years where the Normans would drag English and Welshmen on crusades and wars with their French relatives over succession of the various french thrones. They also all spoke French until after the war of the Roses when it became apparent that the French didn't want them anymore.

Also 3/5 of all mainland Britain is still owned by the descendants of the Norman conquest.

So in terms of culture we got our colonial tendancies and our love for building big imposing stuff plus an inferiority complex with the French that would led to having one with the rest of Europe.

I don't think about this much....🤣

Last edited:
***deleted wrong thread***

Last edited:

Latest posts