• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A League 2017/18

Aye, It's our fault Worcester couldn't raise a side last time and Leicester can't raise a side this time

Only thing I've read is 'Sale postpone A-league fixture'. The player safety thing from us on the last fixture was Horse sh*t. We had enough players + 3 high-performing teams in Nat 2.

All these clubs (including us) have 17-20 year olds sitting around doing naff all. Something needs sorting.

I heard you cancelled last time because you didn't have enough suitably trained/exoerienced front props
Something about genge missing out

I heard you cancelled last time because you didn't have enough suitably trained/exoerienced front props
Something about genge missing out

Yeah, that is true. But its not good enough is it really. Leicester Lions, South Leicester Hinckley and Loughbro Uni all within 10 miles you would think we could find cover.

Agreed.

Is there a decent cash prize for the A league or something?
I don't understand why teams would rather cancel a game than draft in some (high level) amateurs/semi-pros.
There'll be hundreds of lads who would give their right nut to play an A league game. And you never know, you might unearth someone decent.

Agreed.

Is there a decent cash prize for the A league or something?
I don't understand why teams would rather cancel a game than draft in some (high level) amateurs/semi-pros.
There'll be hundreds of lads who would give their right nut to play an A league game. And you never know, you might unearth someone decent.

I've no idea. Players like Hardwick, Simmonds and Makysimou will be better off going out on loans if this carries on.

I've no idea. Players like Hardwick, Simmonds and Makysimou will be better off going out on loans if this carries on.
It's simmons and Maksymiw and they do go out on loan.
Hills, Mahoney, Heyes, Maksymiw, Lewis, Olowofela, Betts all played for the students this weekend v Cov.

Hills, Mahoney, Heyes, Maksymiw, Lewis, Olowofela, Betts all played for the students this weekend v Cov.

Sorry Sir. Am I in detention for that?

Only 3 loan players are permitted in N1, so at least 4 of the above would have to have been DRd. Assuming they're all academy players, I'd have thought that they would all be DRd.

Based on the score of the Cov vs Luff game and having seen plenty of EAPs in N1 and N2S over the years, it seems clear to me that decent National League players are plenty capable of playing A-League rugby. I don't know why more don't, maybe it's the two day turnaround from Saturday to Monday and subsequent five day turnaround to the next Saturday's league game, maybe clubs consider it preferable to postpone a game in order to see their own players get a run out when it does get played than honour the arranged date.

Only 3 loan players are permitted in N1, so at least 4 of the above would have to have been DRd. Assuming they're all academy players, I'd have thought that they would all be DRd.

Based on the score of the Cov vs Luff game and having seen plenty of EAPs in N1 and N2S over the years, it seems clear to me that decent National League players are plenty capable of playing A-League rugby. I don't know why more don't, maybe it's the two day turnaround from Saturday to Monday and subsequent five day turnaround to the next Saturday's league game, maybe clubs consider it preferable to postpone a game in order to see their own players get a run out when it does get played than honour the arranged date.

Students and Tigers have an official agreement where the development and the students squads are all basically DR between the two or something.

Alot of Nat 1 teams do want to keep there better players because they have their own league to worry about, i mean cov are pumping in alot of money to try to get into the champ they don't want the likes of Wasps, Wuss or Tiger trying to pinch players for the one off game on the whole esp front rowers which are harder to find.

I think alot of teams use nat 1 players anyway Tigers have used Students to fill in 13 times this season so far in their 3 games.

I think alot of teams use nat 1 players anyway Tigers have used Students to fill in 13 times this season so far in their 3 games.

I remember the wailing and gnashing of teeth from some quarters (there's a lot of people out there who are vehemently anti-DR) when the Tigers / Students link was announced. I don't believe that they've made as extensive use as those people had feared - 7 DRs is only just more than half way to the number of another club's players a team can field. When clubs have a symbiotic relationship like Tigers and Students, it follows that the NL club will repay the Academy owning club for the DR players by loaning players out for A-League games if required.

As you say Coventry will presumably feel that they have bigger fish to fry, although I seem to remember reading that they have made use of DRs this season, so could find themselves under pressure to reciprocate.

Leicester Tigers/Loughborough University team for Newcaslte Falcons game tonight. (At funny enough Lougborough uni)
15 Tom Brady
14 Will Foster (Loughborough University)
13 Matt Smith
12 Charlie Thacker
11 Jack Antoniou (Loughborough University)
10 George Worth (c)
9 Ben Pointon (Loughborough University)
1 Facundo Gigena
2 Harry Mahoney
3 Ben Betts
4 Dom Barrow
5 Joe Maksymiw
6 Will Foster (Loughborough University)
7 Cameron Wilkins (Loughborough University)
8 Fred Tuilagi
Replacements
16 Jamie Cox (Loughborough University)
17 Owen Hills
18 Andrew Nathan-Boyd (Loughborough University)
19 Sam Bailey (Loughborough University)
20 Oliver Kilgallon (Loughborough University)
21 Will Findlay (Loughborough University)
22 Joe Carolan (Loughborough University)
23 Bamidele Fadahunsi (Loughborough University)

Last two games we've been pathetic. Team selections are telling me we just don't care.

Latest posts