A new three-code star for Wallabies?

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
Wallabies say Karmichael Hunt can be a better three-code star than Israel Folau:

140609031424562564.jpg

Wallabies have joined the race to sign Karmichael Hunt, convinced he can become a better three-code superstar than Israel Folau. Hunt's contract expires with the Gold Coast Suns this year and he has been linked to a number of NRL clubs including the Broncos, Raiders, Storm and Bulldogs. Now his agent David Riolo has confirmed talks have also taken place with the Australian Rugby Union in recent weeks.

The Queensland Reds have confirmed their interest, but the ARU would prefer him to play for the Melbourne Rebels where he is well known in AFL circles. It is understood a wealthy French rugby union club is also bidding for his services. Hunt, 27, played rugby union as a schoolboy and in Europe during a cross-over period between NRL and AFL in 2010. Talks with the Wallaby management have at this stage only involved Ewen McKenzie's recruitment staff and haven't yet got to the level of CEO Bill Pulver.

However, Pulver is likely to back any move for the former Kangaroo utility player and current Gold Coast Suns star. He would become easily Australia's most successful three-code player because of Folau's failure to make it with the GWS Giants. Hunt has played 43 games for the Suns but has struggled to make the starting side this year.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/wha...han-israel-folau/story-e6frf3ou-1226946806400

If there is one thing Australian rugby does not need, it's outside backs, and expensive ones at that. I said months ago that their desire to sign superstars is a waste, when compared to putting the money into grassroots or even a domestic league (this was before the new tournament was announced). He is 27, so you can get six years from him, give or take. Now if he was a prop, go for it, but how many good outside backs are there, more than there are props. Unless they get their wishes of scrapping the scrums, their backline will never see full potential.

If there is one thing Australian rugby does not need, it's outside backs, and expensive ones at that. I said months ago that their desire to sign superstars is a waste, when compared to putting the money into grassroots or even a domestic league (this was before the new tournament was announced). He is 27, so you can get six years from him, give or take. Now if he was a prop, go for it, but how many good outside backs are there, more than there are props. Unless they get their wishes of scrapping the scrums, their backline will never see full potential.

Bit pedantic but his position for Biarritz was 2nd 5 8th

Bit pedantic but his position for Biarritz was 2nd 5 8th

Actually he played in both centre positions and even at 10 once or twice I seem to remember.......he was always the last to be selected and arrived the same time as Dane Haylett-Petty after one of Jack Isaacs jollies back home.

Hunt played fewer games and was fairly non descript in a back line that performed tolerably well in those far off days and played 15 games in one season (2009/10) and managed 3 tries....pleased he has found some fame at last but would not have given twopence halfpenny for that as always thought Dane was by far the better prospect!!!

Actually he played in both centre positions and even at 10 once or twice I seem to remember.......he was always the last to be selected and arrived the same time as Dane Haylett-Petty after one of Jack Isaacs jollies back home.

Hunt played fewer games and was fairly non descript in a back line that performed tolerably well in those far off days and played 15 games in one season (2009/10) and managed 3 tries....pleased he has found some fame at last but would not have given twopence halfpenny for that as always thought Dane was by far the better prospect!!!

Well you're the Biarritz supporter but i thought he eventually settled at 12 and his skills seemed to suit it the most.

Sanzar (or other Aussies could maybe answer this)...with Aussie Rules and Rugby league in Oz much bigger than Union, would it be right in saying Aussie sports rear great backs not forwards? (forwards in Union I'm talking here).

Seems Aussies have no time for the players who would play in the scrum (hence the jibe they'd get rid of it if they could).

Aussie Rugby league seemingly has all the best backs and having watched Jonathan Thurston in the RLWC he looks the pick of the bunch.

That's really not accurate... it's more that in Australia people favour hard running games rather than set-piece games. That doesn't mean there aren't tough and gritty forwards though; if you'd ever seen the likes of Paul Gallen, Shane Webke, Petro Civoniceva, Gordon Tallis, Sam Thaiday or Tony Williams in full flight you'd know it's not all about the fancy footwork. It's just that forward play in League is more about pure collisions rather than the technical skills of Union's set-piece. AFL is similar in that regard. I don't really get the game to be honest, but my West Australian father assures me "ruck-men" are your burly dirty work players, while "full-forwards" are the guys who kick the goals.

On the best backs in Rugby League, yes, Thurston is a complete freak. But he's a fly-half/five-eighth, and they always get the glory. I'd argue outside backs like Greg Inglis, Jarryd Hayne, Michael Jennings are also freakishly talented players.

That's really not accurate... it's more that in Australia people favour hard running games rather than set-piece games. .

Presumably why Union has to struggle to maintain any attention from the Aussies who tend not to like to think too cerebal but watch things that are simple to maintain their attention span like League where they do not have scrums!

Presumably why Union has to struggle to maintain any attention from the Aussies who tend not to like to think too cerebal but watch things that are simple to maintain their attention span like League where they do not have scrums!

Actually it's more attitudes like that that turn people off union here...

Sanzar (or other Aussies could maybe answer this)...with Aussie Rules and Rugby league in Oz much bigger than Union, would it be right in saying Aussie sports rear great backs not forwards? (forwards in Union I'm talking here).

Seems Aussies have no time for the players who would play in the scrum (hence the jibe they'd get rid of it if they could).

Aussie Rugby league seemingly has all the best backs and having watched Jonathan Thurston in the RLWC he looks the pick of the bunch.

You look at the favourite codes in Australia and there all as Sanzar said hard running games. We like fast paced collision sports without many stoppages. This is one of the reasons IMO that our scrum is so weak. We're so busy worrying about how good our backs are that we neglect the dirty work up front. I really hope the ARU doesn't push for Hunt. Do we need? Certainly not. If it was Greg Inglis maybe but not Hunt.

You look at the favourite codes in Australia and there all as Sanzar said hard running games. We like fast paced collision sports without many stoppages. This is one of the reasons IMO that our scrum is so weak. We're so busy worrying about how good our backs are that we neglect the dirty work up front. I really hope the ARU doesn't push for Hunt. Do we need? Certainly not. If it was Greg Inglis maybe but not Hunt.

Agreed. Would love to see Inglis in Union... Would be very handy against some of the bigger back lines

Who watches Union for the set pieces though? They're the boring bits. The highlights predominantly consist of running with the ball. Personally I'd love to see the end of set pieces and the two Rugby codes amalgamate while retaining Union's method of tackling (thus discarding the six tackle rule). Constant running, creativity and no stodgy play.

Exactly what I was thinking. The focus is on running play. For me the players in the Aussie RL national team are the most talented group in either code of Rugby. Watching them for the first time in the RLWC was a real eye opener.

Last edited:
Who watches Union for the set pieces though? They're the boring bits. The highlights predominantly consists of running with the ball. Personally I'd love to see the end of set pieces and the two Rugby codes amalgamate while retaining Union's method of tackling (thus discarding the six tackle rule). Constant running, creativity and no stodgy play.

I do. I love the scrum and line outs that lead to driving mauls. These are the contests that differentiate union from league.

Last edited:
I love Rugby - set-piece is an integral part of it.

I still don't understand why you post on a rugby forum when you hate such a huge amount about the game!

Who watches Union for the set pieces though? They're the boring bits. The highlights predominantly consist of running with the ball. Personally I'd love to see the end of set pieces and the two Rugby codes amalgamate while retaining Union's method of tackling (thus discarding the six tackle rule). Constant running, creativity and no stodgy play.Exactly what I was thinking. The focus is on running play. For me the players in the Aussie RL national team are the most talented group in either code of Rugby. Watching them for the first time in the RLWC was a real eye opener.

No doubt you would take the rather obvious game of draughts over the cerebral game of chess and you obviously did not play the game of rugby!

Same here. What Simon wants isn't rugby.

What I'd ideally want is a return to a less bulk dominated game and more open running Rugby. I know it's utopia but I watched the Barbarians-NZ game in its entirety a few weeks ago and the difference between then and now is astounding. Also watched the '99 semi France-NZ a while back. Two of the greatest games ever because of running Rugby. Whats on show today is not the same sport. I'd like Rugby back.

Since that isn't gonna happen (and France in particular have adopted the "stodgy" foreign game), my ideal scenario would be Rugby league without the six tackle rule...so the best of both codes.

What I'd ideally want is a return to a less bulk dominated game and more open running Rugby. I know it's utopia but I watched the Barbarians-NZ game in its entirety a few weeks ago and the difference between then and now is astounding. Also watched the '99 semi France-NZ a while back. Two of the greatest games ever because of running Rugby. Whats on show today is not the same sport. I'd like Rugby back.

Since that isn't gonna happen (and France in particular have adopted the "stodgy" foreign game), my ideal scenario would be Rugby league without the six tackle rule...so the best of both codes.

You've ridiculously idealised the past TG4 used to show old 6N matches from the 80's and ESPN Classic showed a lot of old Lions games. They don't really compare that well. The passing is actually quite poor and there's proably more kicking or at least a lot less intelligent kicking which leads to bad play. You keep talking about the increased bulk but then proclaim the Welsh team to be the most exciting to watch even though they are exactly what you're giving out about. If you want to pick and choose classics (separated by 26 years as well) then I'm sure many can reply with exciting vlassics from the pro era. This one for example:

[video=youtube_share;Y_TWRsiHDEk]http://youtu.be/Y_TWRsiHDEk[/video]

You can't get the sort of rugby your talking about back because it's primarily a result of amateurism - the skill, tactics and fitness were all poor in comparison to today.

If that is genuinely the sort of stuff you want to watch then go and watch schoolboy rugby - it's practically the same.

Latest posts