• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

When I say I don't blame press as much I'm referring to those who are hostile towards this government and always have been Mirror & Guardian basically. Its obvious Slack/The Sun were keeping stum once he moved their last April.

Its why the continual attacks on the BBC and an independent press in general ****** me off.

And you know what else? I know most on here are not a fan of the Queen but she had to sit on her own at her husbands funeral while her government was getting ****** up and flaunting covid rules.

******* blood is boiling

Wasn't one of the parties a leaving do for someone who now works for the Sun? They press and police knew all about this. The Police guard the place!
Oh aye, the Met are complicit, there's no two ways around it - they're literally on the doors of no.10,
One of the stories said an aide was sent to the shops with a suitcase to load with booze - no way some ****** up intern rocking up with a suitcase at 1am doesn't get it searched by the security.

I do get what you mean about the press
There are definitely a lot of shithouse journos around - but I don't think that (a lot) of the ones reporting on it now knew about it at the time (apparently the Sun aren't running any stories about the Editors leaving party...unsurprisingly)

And you know what else? I know most on here are not a fan of the Queen but she had to sit on her own at her husbands funeral while her government was getting ****** up and flaunting covid rules.

******* blood is boiling
Yeah, royalist or not she's still a 90+ year old woman attending her husbands funeral
My nan had to do similar at her sisters funeral, as it was at the time when you could only have a handful of people there - not nice for anyone

******* blood is boiling
I'm no fan of the monarchy these days and yeah the Phillip stuff kind of got my goat. But yeah there is something to be said that they even went about it when a national symbol was going through what many many other people were or had.

Like I'm just ****** off for sacrifices I made, I've had 3 in person team meals in the past 2 years at work (one outside with rule of 6), I now spend all ******* day on Teams, I didn't see a single friend in person apart from a handful of jogs for 15 months, plus aforementioned issues with my father, my sister had surgery last year and no one could go visit her before or after as we were in lockdown 1.5.

And as noted my list is minor.

Can't see how Bojo survives all this. Sooner or later he has to resign. It all happened on his watch.

Can't see how Bojo survives all this. Sooner or later he has to resign. It all happened on his watch.
Guess they're stalling to work out how much more is going to come out, and whether they'll need a buffer (Truss?) before instating whoever they want to run for PM next general election (Sunak?)

If BoJo gets binned off today then whoever takes over is going to get a lot of flak over the coming weeks/months as well

Bloody mindedness and MPs without a backbone are how. Reality is the Graham Brady should of had 55 letters by now and by all accounts he isn't close (Mr. Robertson has not written back to me yet, he was pretty quick of Cummins).

Its ridiculous 2 years ago everyone left of Tories bemoans how disastrous the election was and there was no way Labour could recover by the next to mount up a decent challenge and that's now looking possible if it was held tomorrow. COVID is the main factor but even then despite being actually quite bad at their response (the vaccine rollout when handled by NHS is only thing that's gone well, it went to **** when the NHS stopped) and arguably they've gotten lucky over Omicron (I do not believe the do nothing approach would of happened without partygate). But still the extent they've ****** up is utter madness.

Guess they're stalling to work out how much more is going to come out, and whether they'll need a buffer (Truss?) before instating whoever they want to run for PM next general election (Sunak?)

If BoJo gets binned off today then whoever takes over is going to get a lot of flak over the coming weeks/months as well
Perhaps they are desperately trying to find someone who didn't break any rules..

It would be massive constitutional crisis but the Queen could fire him....
I would settle for her to order the Army (which she could technically do) to drag him out of No 10 by his ankles but that would have the look of an armed coup which we should leave to places like America

Don't think with time remaining they could take another 2 leaders, the damage would be huge, 5 leaders in 8 years (and thats if they don't spring for an early one), its going to be bad enough going in with 4. Its Sunak or Truss for sure with and an outside bet on Hunt. Sunak has the problem he's Asian, he's lorded for furlough but also has the issue he's been reportedly the most anti-lockdown member of cabinet which could become a massive problem with reports. Truss is more appealing to the Tory base but she's well Liz Truss its hard to think of someone so devoid of achievements, personality and gravitas (apart from Raab) that in cabinet (she was also a remainer). Hunt would completely torpedo the NHS vote as well as being pro-remain, but also is removed from the entire current governement.

There's Raab but after Afghanistan he's ****** and more a generic cookie cutter bloke in a suit than Truss.

This is 100% it. Not just about parties but economic issues etc etc.

Obvious with the lateness of Sunak's statement that he is waiting in the wings.

My guess is that if CCHQ think there is rockiness on the horizon of any sort then we get a buffer and then Sunak, but if we get Sunak straight away then that either means they couldn't find someone who would provide a poll jump or that they think everything in the next few months is looking a lot better.

There is also May elections to consider which will effect the timing

It would be massive constitutional crisis but the Queen could fire him....
Yeh not going to happen in reality. Her prerogative practically speaking is to protect the Royal family. That's why she stripped her own son of his military and HRH ***les.

Kate and William came up to Scotland when we had guidance to minimise travel. Charlie boy actually came up here whilst contagious to recuperate at Balmoral. Very nice of him to bring the disease north of the border in complete contradiction of the rules. So let's not hear too much about the poor royals.

A lot of the issues stem from the honours system. If health advisors and senior police officers can expect a gong at some point down the line, how likely are they to take action that is to the disadvantage of the establishment? Although no money changes hands, the bizarre obsession with illusionary social status makes this effectively mild corruption in my eyes.

Kate and William came up to Scotland when we had guidance to minimise travel. Charlie boy actually came up here whilst contagious to recuperate at Balmoral. Very nice of him to bring the disease north of the border in complete contradiction of the rules. So let's not hear too much about the poor royals.

A lot of the issues stem from the honours system. If health advisors and senior police officers can expect a gong at some point down the line, how likely are they to take action that is to the disadvantage of the establishment? Although no money changes hands, the bizarre obsession with illusionary social status makes this effectively mild corruption in my eyes.
The honours system is weird at that level of public service its pretty much guarantee so they shouldn't wasting their time on something they'll get anyway. But this government with Bercow have proven they'll be vindictive on that front.

This is 100% it. Not just about parties but economic issues etc etc.

Obvious with the lateness of Sunak's statement that he is waiting in the wings.

My guess is that if CCHQ think there is rockiness on the horizon of any sort then we get a buffer and then Sunak, but if we get Sunak straight away then that either means they couldn't find someone who would provide a poll jump or that they think everything in the next few months is looking a lot better.

There is also May elections to consider which will effect the timing
As long as he hasnt taken part in any parties either at No10 or elsewhere. I think this whole thing could unravel like the expenses scandal. Could the reason the Press and Police have been so reluctant to do anything be down to the fact that they have also been breaking the rules too?

As long as he hasnt taken part in any parties either at No10 or elsewhere. I think this whole thing could unravel like the expenses scandal. Could the reason the Press and Police have been so reluctant to do anything be down to the fact that they have also been breaking the rules too?
Well I mean if you want stuff on any public figure you can probably find it.

It hasn't damaged Starmers attacks a huge amount that he has also been pictured drinking with staff when it was prohibited for example

Well I mean if you want stuff on any public figure you can probably find it.

It hasn't damaged Starmers attacks a huge amount that he has also been pictured drinking with staff when it was prohibited for example
The picture has been doing the rounds for months hoping it would stick it was May last year during the phasing out of lockdown. It was during step 2 though so yes technically breaking the rules in lead up to the Hartlepool by election, there is something like 4-5 people in the room at most.

I think we can all say (apart from a minority) that we all bent or broke rules at somepoint. What's causing Johnson and the Tories in general so much is how many have been at it (its not one isolated case) and the timing. Most of these revelations have been during lockdown 1, in the you can't do anything phase or during Christmas 2020 when with days to go it ****** a lot peoples Christmases. Now its Phillips funeral.

I think the question for the potential new leaders is did they break rules at key moments in national consciousness. They can probably survive a Starmer like incident when rules were easing but not one when rules were heavily enforced (essentially the three times Downing Street definitely had gathering of some sort).

Sunak's big issue in dodging is he works lives at Downing Street the mapping is its his back garden as well. If he didn't attend why did he confront about it?

Democracy really is broken in this country. The FPTP system is bad enough but it's obvious that the inquiry isn't fully independent and will no doubt conclude that the 'events' were technically within the rules and Boris will get a slap on the wrist for exercising poor judgement. He knows the outcome already. Cameron texting Sunak asking for taxpayers' money. PPE contracts being handed out to neighbours, mates and family. It's not jobs for the boys but jobs for the Eton boys.

It's tragic that the Tories are not picking a leader based on who is most competent and best candidate to be PM but rather based on polling data and who is the best campaigner who will help them retain their seats so they can continue to enjoy their Parliamentary privileges and all the other sweeteners that go along with the job.

People will look at what is going on at No.10 and start to interpret laws and rules to suit them. Very dangerous precedent being set with regard to law and order.
It's the beauty of being a supposed 'constitutional monarchy' that has no constitution. In essence there are no rules. So if you have a brass neck and just enough support from a handful of billionaires and millionaires that dictate the news cycle, then you can ride out anything.

Boris will probably have to permit a significant benefit to the super rich as the price for continued support (most likely another inheritance tax cut or some kind of workforce de-regulation). He won't be given another year of neglecting the ultimate priority of increasing the influence of money on the health, and education and overall life chances of individuals and their families.

Last edited: