• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Philippines election is interesting.

The son of the dictator Marcos who got overthrown 36 years ago is set to win the majority today, the crazy thing is Marco jr had some serious accusations of his time as governor during his farther reign.

Interesting thing in the Depp-Heard trial.

Dr Hughes, brought in to testify in favour of Heard, has claimed that men can be the victims of partner violence perpetrated by women. However, in all the times she spoke about this, she would call the victims of hypotheticals "she" and the perpetrator as "he". When questioned about if she had ever testified on the side of a man in such a case, all the examples she listed were same-sex incidents (male on male, female on female) not a single case of female perpetrator on male victim.

Granted this could mean nothing and it is her judgement on whom she works for but considering on balance domestic violence is roughly 50/50 between male and female perpetrators, the fact she seems to have 0 cases where it's a female perpetrator against a male but numerous where it is the other way, defying the basic probability of these cases coming up, coupled with making an assessment on the state of the relationship after only speaking to 1 party (the woman), it would seem to imply she may not be impartial in her assessment.

Think this was a pretty sensible play since its been reopened, he'd never survive being fined his credibility vs Johnson is the most important string in his bow.

I still don't know what he'd actually be fined for nothing I've seen contradicts the original defence.

This doesn't put an pressure on Johnson however because the fucker has no shame.

If he does end up resigning would Rayner step in permanently or would they need a party vote?

If he does end up resigning would Rayner step in permanently or would they need a party vote?
New election Harman was technically leadership of the opposition twice when Brown and Milliband resigned. Dunno if Rayner is leader potential, good deputy mind.

Dunno if Rayner is leader potential, good deputy mind.
That was my thought - I know she's deputy leader but don't think she'd be a good leader (for now?).
Bit too polarising in an election where they need to be scraping every vote possible

That was my thought - I know she's deputy leader but don't think she'd be a good leader (for now?).
Bit too polarising in an election where they need to be scraping every vote possible
I think Rayner suffers due to her background and way she speaks. Its complete bullshit but some people will never look past it. Its the same idiot or hear a posh accent and assume their smart.

Nancy, Streeting and Cooper are all fine candidates. Burnham would be too but I don't think he qualifies anymore as it must be an MP.

DUP doing DUP things
"We want Brexit"
"Ok, here are the consequences of Brexit, that you have been told about plenty of times before. Are you going to be responsible now?"

Nope GIF

So if Starmer gets fined he sticks to his principles and resigns so he's not labelled a hypocrite. But Bojo and Rishi get fined and just remain in their positions of actual power.

Yes, all very fair. But that's the problem with Labour - all about principles whilst Tories have none.

Benjamin Disraeli said: "Damn your principles, stick to your party." The guiding principle of the Modern Conservative party.

So if Starmer gets fined he sticks to his principles and resigns so he's not labelled a hypocrite. But Bojo and Rishi get fined and just remain in their positions of actual power.

Yes, all very fair. But that's the problem with Labour - all about principles whilst Tories have none.

Benjamin Disraeli said: "Damn your principles, stick to your party." The guiding principle of the Modern Conservative party.
I think in the current climate proving you have principals and proving helps you with the electorate to some extent, It won't be huge but might help maintain the momentum and keep tory support low. If they try to to stay Johnson plays the 'we're all just the same' card and is able to claim a whole bunch of apathetic voters. this just highlight the Tories think they are above the rules narrative that has been strong.

Rayner says if she's stuck with one as well she'll resign.

I think in the current climate proving you have principals and proving helps you with the electorate to some extent, It won't be huge but might help maintain the momentum and keep tory support low. If they try to to stay Johnson plays the 'we're all just the same' card and is able to claim a whole bunch of apathetic voters. this just highlight the Tories think they are above the rules narrative that has been strong.

Rayner says if she's stuck with one as well she'll resign.
I just think it's utter madness he's made a rod for his own back.

And knowing the electorate - they will still end up voting Tory in the next election.

What would Starmer and Rayner have gained apart from regaining this so called moral high ground? Neither will get thanked for this IMO.

I just think it's utter madness he's made a rod for his own back.

And knowing the electorate - they will still end up voting Tory in the next election.

What would Starmer and Rayner have gained apart from regaining this so called moral high ground? Neither will get thanked for this IMO.
If he's fined, he's ****** regardless of this position and will have to resign. I don't see any downside. It also allowed Labour to still play the partygate card and ask continually ask why they haven't resigned.

I still don't think he'll be fined.

I reckon that Starmer is very confident that he won't get fined.
Aye I think he's had a good look at this legally, thinks his defence is solid so is pretty confident. If he wasn't I think he'd have resigned now.

He better have done, otherwise he's going to look like a right *** if he does get fined. He was the former DPP, so should know.

Latest posts