• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Following on from I post I made in the covid thread, issues being raised about the content of the school meals for children being completely inadequate both nutritionally and in terms of quantity. The £30 vouchers were swapped for food parcels and it seems that this has once again been used as a vehicle for private companies, often with links to the Tories, to fleece off the poorest and enrich themselves with public money.

This is such a ******* low, skimming money off feeding children. It's supposed to be £30 per child (which is very achievable, I'm an adult and my budget for a week is about that) but it seems the MAJORITY of the money isn't even getting spent on the food. I say we bring back some old medieval justice, the people making the decisions to profit off the back of children's hunger should be put in the ******* stocks in a public place and pelted with turds.

Its amazing how this feeding kids thing keeps coming back it shouldn't be so hard yet the Tories seam so desperate to not actually feed the ******* kids its insane.

It also shows why I generally agree with the borad principal about why privatisation fails dismally in giving value for public funds (I know of no cases where its been a good thing).

Totally delusional.

"Speech was Totally appropriate". :rolleyes: What planet is he on?

Forever playing the victim. :mad:

Totally delusional.

"Speech was Totally appropriate". :rolleyes: What planet is he on?

Now I get Trump supporters believe the speech was appropriate. But how can they believe that everyone thought it was appropriate when so many high-profile people have said it wasn't. How can you just ignore facts. They might disagree with those saying it was inappropriate, but how can they believe that nobody thought it was inappropriate?

Now I get Trump supporters believe the speech was appropriate. But how can they believe that everyone thought it was appropriate when so many high-profile people have said it wasn't. How can you just ignore facts. They might disagree with those saying it was inappropriate, but how can they believe that nobody thought it was inappropriate?
Ignoring facts has been the signature of Trump's presidency. The guy is just full of contradictions. And conflation of what he and his supporters think as appropriate with everyone else should think . Last Wednesday surely must be the final straw if there is any sanity left in American politics. :rolleyes:

Ignoring facts has been the signature of Trump's presidency. The guy is just full of contradictions. And conflation of what he and his supporters think as appropriate with everyone else should think . Last Wednesday surely must be the final straw if there is any sanity left in American politics. :rolleyes:
I saw an interview by Mick Malveny now trying to claim that it was a "different Trump" or that he was surrounded with different people or that somehow what happened was different rather than the logical conclusion of years of Trumpism. He even said Trump had acted presidentially and that most criticisms were down to just "style" or "policy" differences. Yes even as they separate from Trump over this they really can't see that he's actually done anything wrong prior. In fact I would be willing to bet if they didn't think the outcry would be so large, they would claim nothing was wrong in storming the capitol either. There are enough Trumpers out there who still think that.

Apparently the American government owned news network that broadcasts only externally has had a Trumper at the top who has basically **** all over the concept of it being politically neutral, culled everyone who had a degree of professionalism, fired a reporter who tried to get answers out of Pompeo and has stuffed it with loyalists. It's insidious and like a virus, everything Trump touches immediately becomes completely politicised, ignores all laws and conventions and becomes little more than another vehicle for his progress. This is EXACTLY how democracies fall. The Nazis operated the same way, every aspect of German life and state got taken over and immediately weaponised.

There's an interesting political theory which is that it is impossible for a society to be completely tolerant of everything because there are people whose views are fundamentally intolerant. Their views cannot be tolerated because as soon as they get into power, they immediately start tearing down the tolerant system and imposing their own. A society that is inherently tolerant will always end up hijacked by the extremists. We have seen exactly this with Trump.

Impeachment vote tonight (think it's 9pm UK time) will be very interesting

Is it two thirds they need to remove?
50dems
Romney voted to impeach last time,
Cheney Jr has said she'll vote to impeach
One Republican voted to invoke the 25th

So just need to find 13 more republicans with a backbone

50dems

Nah nothing that exciting this is just to impeach which needs a simple majority in the house. The only question is how many Republicans will cross the divide.

It then when Pelosi decides goes to the Senate for a trial then 2/3 to remove but that could weeks away (suggestions they'll wait after Biden is sworn in to take that sting out), what the point removal even after his term will result in him not being allowed to run again.

However there are signals enough republicans in the senate could join in (they need 17).

Reality is today is a formality Trump will be the first president to be impeached twice, the question is will he be the first to be removed and we won't learn that today.

McConnell reported to be "pleased" that Trump is going to be impeached by the House. What that means in terms of him when it comes to voting and getting 15 others (presumably Romney will also vote to convict) remains to be seen. He's enabled Trump these last 4 years to get the Republican Conservative agenda through Congress, now he wants to use this as a perfect excuse to get rid and stop trump from running again for POTUS. :rolleyes:

Still don't think when it comes down to the vote he will.

Talk of Pelosi delaying sending the impeachment charges to the Senate until 100 days after Biden takes office so he can get his cabinet picks passed. So Trump could be convicted after he leaves office.

50dems

House votes first on articles of impeachment. No Republicans in the house voted in favor last time, but a few like Cheney will this time. It will get through the house fine and Trump will be impeached. Then the senate will vote on it at a later date to remove him, where it needs 2/3rds. Romney was the only Republican who voted for it last time, but a few more will probably join him this time. Pretty unlikely to pass though.

House votes first on articles of impeachment. No Republicans in the house voted in favor last time, but a few like Cheney will this time. It will get through the house fine and Trump will be impeached. Then the senate will vote on it at a later date to remove him, where it needs 2/3rds. Romney was the only Republican who voted for it last time, but a few more will probably join him this time. Pretty unlikely to pass though.
Overnight there were reports of supposedly as many as 20 would be willing to vote for his removal, its probably key to remember the GOP didn't want Trump at all in much the same way the Democrats didn't want Sanders as they weren't really party members in the traditional sense. This is a good point to lance that boil potentially without any real retribution possible for 2 years, the poltical calculus is Trumps endorsement doesn't actually help or hinder either for house and senate seats.

I still don't think its possible but there is potential.

should say I agree with Pence whilst the 25th was an idea I think you really have to be certain the guy is mentally deranged to use that Impeachement and removal is the proper mechanism for this sort of thing.

Overnight there were reports of supposedly as many as 20 would be willing to vote for his removal
If they do delay as long as 100days then I doubt (m)any of these will still feel that way - once the dust from the Capitol riots settle they'll go right back to not giving AF

Republicans, downright shameless as they are may want to head Trump off at the pass and prevent him running as an independent in 2024. They both fish from the same pool so Trump running in 2024 would be disastrous for them.

By all accounts McConnell is happy to see him impeached anyway which is probably a pretty good indicator of how the party leadership feels. Plenty of Reps won't want to alienate their cousin riding voters though.

I think the democrats are making the right move by pushing for impeachment now. Pretty easy for Republicans to duck their head when the issue isn't as fresh in everyone's mind.

Overnight there were reports of supposedly as many as 20 would be willing to vote for his removal, its probably key to remember the GOP didn't want Trump at all in much the same way the Democrats didn't want Sanders as they weren't really party members in the traditional sense. This is a good point to lance that boil potentially without any real retribution possible for 2 years, the poltical calculus is Trumps endorsement doesn't actually help or hinder either for house and senate seats.

I still don't think its possible but there is potential.

should say I agree with Pence whilst the 25th was an idea I think you really have to be certain the guy is mentally deranged to use that Impeachement and removal is the proper mechanism for this sort of thing.
he is deranged. He's pushing conspiracy theories that are just nuts.

A great day for America and a very bad day for Traitor Trump. :)

Only the start. When will it move to the Senate? What with it being in recess.

Latest posts