• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Right after the NI increase, as well
There was this wonderful bit of insight as well, isn't UC supposed to be helping those who can't find jobs/very low earnings. I'm sure the fact I can go find a new job if I iwhsed preety easially is of great comfort.

After paying tribute to the two MPs lost over recess, Labour's Virendra Sharma points to the the rising bills for heating, food and fuel, saying they are increasing "at staggering speed".

The MP asks Johnson whether he will reinstate the "lifeline" uplift in universal credit that was scrapped earlier this month, given the "crisis" in living costs.

The PM says the government is taking a number of measures to tackle the issue, such as increasing the warm homes allowance.

But he says the "most important thing" happening in the country is wages are going up and there is a "huge jobs boom thanks to policies of this government".

Right after the NI increase, as well

It sounds bad, but the Corporation tax rate is going up for large companies to 25% in 2023 and so the cut in the bank levy on top being 3% means they will be paying 28% compared to the 27% (19% + 8 %) levy that they are now. So net result is they are paying another 1% on their profits. Yeh the Govt aren't going to lose out.

Banks will also need to pay the additional 1.25% on the staff's pay for the NI levy, but can deduct it in arriving at their taxable trading profits.

I do always find it funny how our farmers go on about foreign competition "lowering standards". This is coming from the people who brought us foot and mouth and mad cow disease! Our track record on high standards for our animals isn't exactly brilliant.

I do always find it funny how our farmers go on about foreign competition "lowering standards". This is coming from the people who brought us foot and mouth and mad cow disease! Our track record on high standards for our animals isn't exactly brilliant.
Not forgetting Salmonella.

And yeah, the farmers mostly voted for Brexit in order to reduce the red tape associated with farming. Red tape that was mostly written by British beurocrats in responce to farming problems that emerged in Britain...

Just an example this is about only terminally ill patients with full faculty yet by biggest fear of growing old is dementia. Which that something I've made absolutely clear to my loved ones is something I don't want to live with. However how do you legislate for and allow it?

Its certainly a complex topic in terms of making sure their are the correct safeguards and at a level we as nation are comfortable with. However its long felt like the debate is about when we allow euthanasia rather than if.
I definitely think that there is very little weight on the side of out banning it. Mainly for me those are people who haven't had to watch someone suffer for long periods of time and take for granted that they are healthy and don't have long term issues. For example the Archbishop of Canterbury's comments about assisted living. Yes we should do more to help people who are suffering to live comfortable lives. However, at some point there is literally nothing you can do short of basically inducing a medical coma to stop someone's suffering.

I'm all for it as long as there are clear safeguards in place.

Just an example this is about only terminally ill patients with full faculty yet by biggest fear of growing old is dementia. Which that something I've made absolutely clear to my loved ones is something I don't want to live with. However how do you legislate for and allow it?
Dementia one is very interesting, because what if you made a living will or something similar that said you didn't want to live, but then when asked personally when you have dementia and you say no you want to live. What is the right thing to do then? Stick to a decision you made in the past or a decision you make now? If you have dementia, does that mean you are no longer as mentally competent as when you made your living will? Which one is more valid?

I think one of the issues with still debating on whether or not assisted dying should happen is that it means there is not enough discussion on making sure the legislation is up to scratch. Especially with the current government we've seen how flawed some of their bills and agreements have been.

Its certainly a complex topic in terms of making sure their are the correct safeguards and at a level we as nation are comfortable with. However its long felt like the debate is about when we allow euthanasia rather than if.
Yeah, the "if" debate was pretty much put to bed a decade ago.
It's been "when" ever since then.

I definitely think that there is very little weight on the side of out banning it. Mainly for me those are people who haven't had to watch someone suffer for long periods of time and take for granted that they are healthy and don't have long term issues. For example the Archbishop of Canterbury's comments about assisted living. Yes we should do more to help people who are suffering to live comfortable lives. However, at some point there is literally nothing you can do short of basically inducing a medical coma to stop someone's suffering.

I'm all for it as long as there are clear safeguards in place.
Yeah my Mum's last few weeks were far from pleasant, poison to her brain basically meant her thinking faculties were gone, she was also clearly in a huge amount of distress. Add with that the fact we had only 2 hours of visiting a day because she was technically not on 'end of life' care and we missed moving her to a hospice by days. We need to do a loads more for dying and their families, in terms of bereavement aftercare we essentially offered none and when I hit the verge of a breakdown nearly 6 months later it took a year before I could access any one to one services.

Going back though I get the feeling the Doctors couldn't put her on end of life care officially because there wasn't the capacity for it, even then I'm unsure she'd have been given more sedatives than she had. She was a lot happier in the ICU but the NHS doesn't have that level of support for 'lost causes'. The reality is we should of been given more options when in reality we had none and what we got was probably the worst possible situation.

On the mental health thing that's exactly what happen with my mother as well, she had a long standing agreement with my father not to die at home and make the other a full time carer. Even though her mental capacity was diminished enough that the doctors forced treatment when she refused it when she demanded to go home that meant we had a week of added beauracuacy to go through to make a decision to move her to a hospice against her wishes.

Just tried to re-watch and I'm really not up for it now.

STP's 2 big documentaries in 2009 (Alzheimers) and 2011 (Euthanasia) sandwhiched my Grandfather's death - where he, and we, had to fight the medical staff to allow him to refuse life-prolonging medication without refusing pain relief.
He tried refusing to eat - so they intubated him.
He then refused medications, so they said it was all or nothing; we had to get a court order to allow him his own choice.

My parents are entering their 80s, and starting to make living wills.

My mother in law died 6 days ago with Pancreatic Cancer.

I have an alzheimers patient who I'm not allowed to treat at the moment as they were too late sorting medical guardianship; so there's currently no-one to consent for me (though this should be sorted soon)

I got as far as STP asking "Do you have happy memories?" and following the answer with "Because I don't, they're being eaten away" - and had to stop the video.

Last edited:

Latest posts