• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

I'll take **** on the US from anyone but a Brit. The UK is slightly more equal but also has a lower quality of life. If I were to bet (and the markets tend to agree with me) I'd say that the UK is going to suffer hard in the next infinity due to trade deals.
Yeah but at least when the horror of living in the UK gives me a stroke, I don't have to pay thousands whilst I'm waiting in the queue to get into the hospital so ha!

As an average across the nation? I'd debate that

If you've got money then yeah, probably
Just going off the same academics that produce inequality indices but using their quality of life indices.
Yeah but at least when the horror of living in the UK gives me a stroke, I don't have to pay thousands whilst I'm waiting in the queue to get into the hospital so ha!
Very true

Republicans are gonna eat that up as "socialized healthcare as bad" instead of truth that Conservatives have successfully defunded the NHS.

Republicans are gonna eat that up as "socialized healthcare as bad" instead of truth that Conservatives have successfully defunded the NHS.
I would like that UK to at least look at how the Germans fund their healthcare and adapt best bits. But NHS is too sacred a concept to be touched, but funding it just by direct taxation is not working.

I would like that UK to at least look at how the Germans fund their healthcare and adapt best bits. But NHS is too sacred a concept to be touched, but funding it just by direct taxation is not working.
This. I don't know why it's so difficult for politicians to simply look at what seems to work worldwide and copy it. Then again the failures of the NHS aren't necessarily due to it being funded by direct taxation and more by the Tories systematically tearing it apart every time they are in office. NI contributions should also be progressive rather than regressive as they currently are.

I'll take **** on the US from anyone but a Brit. The UK is slightly more equal but also has a lower quality of life. If I were to bet (and the markets tend to agree with me) I'd say that the UK is going to suffer hard in the next infinity due to trade deals.
Will take a lower standard of living over armed rednecks shutting down a drag show because "it says so inda byble"

NI contributions should also be progressive rather than regressive as they currently are.
This won't happen.
One undeniable fact is that Northern Ireland benefits annually from a £15 billion (€17.4 billion) investment in our economy, underpinning our old age and working pensions, our free health service, our education system and our total infrastructure, including a system of social housing that is unique in Ireland.

Certainly our National Health Service is under huge strain, but it remains the envy of those countries that have to pay insurance – including in the Republic.

We have a benefits system that entices the poorest and most disadvantaged people in the world to risk their lives on boats to get here, even if our generosity as a society may at times be questionable.

Our legal system is also under enormous financial strain, but the principle of legal aid and equality of arms remains one of our greatest human rights.

This is from an opinion piece in the Irish Times this week from a former Conservative Unionist. NI is a welfare state and unionists are proud of it. They're turning their noses up at the south which is has better education, higher salaries and employment and attracts far more business so they can freeload off the rest of the UK.

Westminster can't afford to lose Unionists because they keep the calls for freedom in the North just quiet enough. NI will only ever be a drain on the UK because the two parties there have no interest in making the region profitable.

the protests literally started in the UK

This. I don't know why it's so difficult for politicians to simply look at what seems to work worldwide and copy it. Then again the failures of the NHS aren't necessarily due to it being funded by direct taxation and more by the Tories systematically tearing it apart every time they are in office. NI contributions should also be progressive rather than regressive as they currently are.
I think It stems from allocation of resources because NHS is free at the point of initial use. Sooner or later we have to let go of this if we are going to fund it properly. Income tax and NIC bring in the most tax revenue and there is little scope to increase rates. The only other way is still gap through borrowing more. Hence need to look at other funding models.

I think as a population we have to take more social responsibility as well. That means eating better, exercising more and reduce burden on NHS.

And we are Getting older as a population as well and successive governments keep kicking the whole social care issue down the road. Labour will have to deal with it if they get in. Can't just be taxation to fund this. Unfortunately I think part of this will need to come out of peeps' homes.

the protests literally started in the UK
Firstly, the protests mentioned were a bunch of frindge nutters not a group with half a counties political behind them.

Second they are not armed to the teeth with AR-15s.

Thirdly, the cutting of power was technically a terrorist incident.

So you have a armed bunch of religious nutters carrying out terrorist attacks who have blessing of half the American establishment against a bunch of COVID truthers with a few naughty words. Hardly the same is it?

The UK provides a better quality of living for poor people (which is shocking considering we're not great) America literally has no safety net if you're poor. Workers rights are clearly a lot better over here with regards to holiday,mat and pat leave etc. if you're middle class/upper class America probably provides a better quality of life as long as you don't get shot in some random incident.

Firstly, the protests mentioned were a bunch of frindge nutters not a group with half a counties political behind them.

Second they are not armed to the teeth with AR-15s.

Thirdly, the cutting of power was technically a terrorist incident.

So you have a armed bunch of religious nutters carrying out terrorist attacks who have blessing of half the American establishment against a bunch of COVID truthers with a few naughty words. Hardly the same is it?
what do you think the proud boys are? they are a fringe hate group. Even as much as I can't stand the republican part it just isn't true that they "have the blessing of half the American establishment". Painting ganging up on someone around their car as "a few naughty words" is a gross way of trivialzing harassment and abuse.

You are moving the goal posts from "This doesn't happen here" to "well we only threaten our drag queens by ganging up on them in a parking lot not by standing outside their show with AR-15s".

what do you think the proud boys are? they are a fringe hate group. Even as much as I can't stand the republican part it just isn't true that they "have the blessing of half the American establishment". Painting ganging up on someone around their car as "a few naughty words" is a gross way of trivialzing harassment and abuse.

You are moving the goal posts from "This doesn't happen here" to "well we only threaten our drag queens by ganging up on them in a parking lot not by standing outside their show with AR-15s".
A fringe group doesn't have the backing of a former president does it?

But you are correct I did move the goal posts at bit. The protests in the UK were unacceptable.

The goal posts were moved but I feel that an armed group carrying out an attack on the electric infrastructure is not the same as verbal harassment. For now it is cutting off power to a small area but they could then reason that they should carry out attacks on infrastructure to larger areas.

Last edited:
A fringe group doesn't have the backing of a former president does it?

But you are correct I did move the goal posts at bit. The protests in the UK were unacceptable.
yes the proud boys have a very strong allegiance with Donald Trump. That Donald Trump has the backing of the Republican Party establishment is a statement I would disagree with. I would say that the Proud Boys are the military arm of the Donald Trump movement within the Republican Party. I could see how it could be viewed academic and I guess we will only know based off how quickly the Proud Boys move off from the Republican Party once/if Trump is gone.
The goal posts were moved but I feel that an armed group carrying out an attack on the electric infrastructure is not the same as verbal harassment. For now it is cutting off power to a small area but they could thenr eason that they should carry out attacks on infrastructure to larger areas.
yeah that's fd up on so many levels not gonna equate it to harassing someone. Moore County is right next to Fayetteville so it's one of the most violent parts of the country. It's like Yorkshire.

yeah that's fd up on so many levels not gonna equate it to harassing someone. Moore County is right next to Fayetteville so it's one of the most violent parts of the country. It's like Yorkshire.
Yorkshire isn't violent, they simply haven't evolved to a point where they can make fine, measured movements or developed the social systems where they can recognise those outside their family and village aren't a threat.

Tax The Rich Donald Trump GIF by Creative Courage

Latest posts