• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Pitt the glint in the milkman's eye.

"Standing At The Back Dressed Stupidly And Looking Stupid Party" could almost be one of our main political parties.

Kate Forbes's SNP campaign goes from bad to bizarre. The latest updates have been:

- saying she'd happily cancel the coalition with the Greens (thereby removing the pro independence majority in parliament and with it, the ability to govern, leading to the government collapsing and a fresh election where the polls indicates Greens would make gains at the SNP's expense.)
- saying the SNP have been 'mediocre' and need to change everything (a party that routinely polls over 40% in a four party system and whose cabinet she has been in for the past number of years)
- casting baseless assertions on the unchanged leadership election process and asking an independent auditor to oversee the election process because she apparently doesn't trust a Southampton based company that is collating the votes.

I've seen people who were probably favouring her, including a gay friend who was still favouring her after saying her faith meant she couldn't support gay marriage, now become slack jawed and bemused at such a strange campaign. They pretty much hope she ends up crawling under a rock and disappearing. .

The SNP are fortunate the campaign is a short one because she is like a bull in a china shop, now capable of uttering anything. She just comes across as somewhat bitter young lady lashing out because she ballsed up her campaign from day one. The papers are desperately running polls suggesting she is in with a chance but I'd be amazed if that's the reality.

It's a low bar, but credit to Labour for saying they'd reverse the Tory pension change that cuts the treasury funds by handing cash exclusively to what are effectively millionaires. I appreciate Labour have to be very bland and say nothing that gives ammo to a largely right wing, pro-growing wealth inequality media but thank goodness they drew a line in the sand with this one.

Real term pay cuts for those on low and average wages. An inability to properly fund public services or fund a military to defend freedom in Europe via conventional forces, but they can find the cash for that most urgent of needs, adding to the already excessive wealth of millionaires. Is it an even worse policy than subsidising the fossil fuel industry while it is making record profits? It's a close call. :p

Anyone keeping track of the number of strikes now? Trains, buses, nurses, ambulance drivers, lecturers, teachers, passport workers, border control workers... Any government with any sense of shame, especially considering everything else going on, would have called an election by now. The Tories will just cling on like a sticky turd for as long as possible though.

Anyone keeping track of the number of strikes now? Trains, buses, nurses, ambulance drivers, lecturers, teachers, passport workers, border control workers... Any government with any sense of shame, especially considering everything else going on, would have called an election by now. The Tories will just cling on like a sticky turd for as long as possible though.

I think they're pinning their hopes on inflation coming down so that the pay demands eventually appear too excessive.

Funny, I don't recall them encouraging the private sector to go easy with the pay rises given that this will exacerbate inflation way more than public sector pay rises.

I think they're pinning their hopes on inflation coming down so that the pay demands eventually appear too excessive.

Funny, I don't recall them encouraging the private sector to go easy with the pay rises given that this will exacerbate inflation way more than public sector pay rises.

Private sector pay has not kept up with inflation and the governor of BoE was all over the news demanding 'pay restraint' from private companies.

Latest posts