• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Israel have been carrying out strikes in Syria for quite a while, and taken out multiple Iranian targets, because they're supplying weapons to Hezbollah

It's nothing new, for example:

Hezbollah are a legitimate target - though obviously targeting of UN troops is not acceptable if that's what happened, I find it hard to believe though

Not condoning Israel (allegedly) killing aid workers or diplomats but Iran really is one those cowardly states that gets terrorist groups to do it's dirty work. It's a shame because the Iranians I have met were generally top people. It's just the poisonous few Ayatollahs at the top of the food chain that seem to be doing all the damage. If only they along with Netanyahu and his far right mob could be replaced with more moderates you'd have a better chance of peace.

Not condoning Israel (allegedly) killing aid workers or diplomats but Iran really is one those cowardly states that gets terrorist groups to do it's dirty work. It's a shame because the Iranians I have met were generally top people. It's just the poisonous few Ayatollahs at the top of the food chain that seem to be doing all the damage. If only they along with Netanyahu and his far right mob could be replaced with more moderates you'd have a better chance of peace.
I have family from Iran who fled in the 70's. Fab people indeed, the persian history is incredible. They admit things weren't great in 70's Iran but it was considerably better than now. When the US started messing about in the region it went to hell.

International food charity World Central Kitchen (WCK) is suspending its operations in Gaza following the death of seven of its workers in an Israeli air strike.

The charity said those killed were part of an aid convoy that was leaving a warehouse in central Gaza.

If you could really end up doing 7 years for something you mentioned in private in your own home it's borderline totalitarian
From reading some barrister's, legal opinion. What i can tell the term or wording as hatred is quite a high bar to prove. Rather than prejudice (ill will or malice) as used elsewhere.

The legislation does not do anything to protect women from hate. Arguably the most prejudiced and largest group as a protected characteristic. Legislation for this is planned but not before 2025. When the SNP might not have a majority by this point, and legislation doesn't get passed.

The legislation does not do anything to protect women from hate. Arguably the most prejudiced and largest group as a protected characteristic.
Obviously women are the largest group and deserve to be protected. But most prejudiced? Seen way way more overt racism in my life than misogyny.

Obviously women are the largest group and deserve to be protected. But most prejudiced? Seen way way more overt racism in my life than misogyny.
We come from different life experiences etc but I'd say I've seen it very differently coming from very male dominated work places. It also depends on your definition of prejudice. I'd say misogyny is just one example of a prejudice against women. Other examples can be comments about women being 'emotional', treated differently in the work place because of pregnancy, child care issues, the gender pay gap, menopause etc, etc.

We come from different life experiences etc but I'd say I've seen it very differently coming from very male dominated work places. It also depends on your definition of prejudice. I'd say misogyny is just one example of a prejudice against women. Other examples can be comments about women being 'emotional', treated differently in the work place because of pregnancy, child care issues, the gender pay gap, menopause etc, etc.
I work in tech it's extremely male dominated. In my office until last year the only female employee was the receptionist.

But those are all examples of things mire prevalent as issues a couple of decades back. They still exist but for example you are way less likely to get an interview if you have a foreign name.

I work in tech it's extremely male dominated. In my office until last year the only female employee was the receptionist.

But those are all examples of things mire prevalent as issues a couple of decades back. They still exist but for example you are way less likely to get an interview if you have a foreign name.
I should have added male dominated public sector for myself. Ie law enforcement and military. I think it's been pretty well documented that in the public sector incidents of discrimination etc tend to be higher.

You are definitely less likely to get an interview with a foreign name. I don't know the stats but I'm hoping even that's improved from a decade ago. But you are still more likely to be murdered or sexualy assaulted as a woman and some studies estimated currently 96% of women in the Uk have experienced some form of sexual harassment.

To my original point factoring in all the information about hate, discrimination prejudice against women not including them in the Scottish legislation was a mistake and if the Yougov poll is correct the SNP might not be in a position to bring forward better legislation to protect women next year. I think we both agree that women deserve to be protected but they haven't been. Instead you have ill thought out and worded legislation that has caused a absolute horrow show. That currently appears to be doing more harm than good and that's not just to those it's meant to protect.

Last edited:
Instead you have ill thought out and worded legislation that has caused a absolute horrow show. That currently appears to be doing more harm than good and that's not just to those it's meant to protect.
3 days into the legislation so it's really hard to judge it yet. Not helped by a transphoic bigot using her platform to try to prove a point by stomping on a small marginalised group and causing a significant % of those 300p reports I'd imagine.

(Should note I've got not issue with her saying women need to be protected. It's the way she goes about it by attacking trans people....repeatedly)

The SNP are trying too hard to be this cutting edge progressive party with a view to make the Tories and Labour look out of touch. Starmer has pulled Labour away from the far left post Corbyn and I think SNP see a gap in the market to hoover up votes from those groups who experience the most prejudice/hate. The trouble is that they don't seem to be very good at reading the room and rolling these things out - same goes with the transgender legislation. A lot of these subjects are very divisive - as I once said in Blackadder goes forth "Delicate touch needed I fancy".

I think some kind of hate crime legislation is needed but it might have been better to start off small and expand it over time. Baby steps. They've gone ball deep from the off e.g. overhearing a private conversation FFS?! Like the Tories they've been in power for too long and it's time for some fresh leadership.

I know people are generally fed up of the Conservatives, but at what point do they actually realise what type of people lead this country. How many by elections have we had recently because of Tory resignations for misdeeds? In all likelihood this will/should lead to another by election. Even if he was being threatened, it's not an excuse to divulge that information and how can a politician be trusted if he's compromised enough to give away information. What's the limit?

Edit: Just seen he's stepping down anyway. However under normal circumstances he should resign and call a by election.

I know people are generally fed up of the Conservatives, but at what point do they actually realise what type of people lead this country. How many by elections have we had recently because of Tory resignations for misdeeds? In all likelihood this will/should lead to another by election. Even if he was being threatened, it's not an excuse to divulge that information and how can a politician be trusted if he's compromised enough to give away information. What's the limit?

Edit: Just seen he's stepping down anyway. However under normal circumstances he should resign and call a by election.
Really sad story, honestly.

Obviously Wragg has seriously screwed up, but the bloke has also been a victim of sexual blackmail, which is an awful crime to be subjected to in and of itself. I do wonder if people are being harsher on him than they would if he wasn't who he is. It's just awful to think about.

Really, he should just stick around in parliament and do what he can to raise awareness of the kind of crime that he's been subject to, because he is far from alone.

Latest posts