• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Yeah you do get the impression this is all about Iran saving face. It wouldn't surprise me if they had discussions with America and Israel about what was the best thing to do so they could go back and say look we're not going to stand for this any longer.

I'm not really worried about an escalation at this moment but it's always on the card in that region I suppose.
It does kinda feel this way. I just don't feel Iran really want to get fully involved with this so did a big show that ultimately achieved nothing to maintain the tough guy image at home but not risk anything actually happening in response.

If Israel decides to then fire back again, we get into a slightly different situation as Iran will have lost face again.

It does kinda feel this way. I just don't feel Iran really want to get fully involved with this so did a big show that ultimately achieved nothing to maintain the tough guy image at home but not risk anything actually happening in response.

If Israel decides to then fire back again, we get into a slightly different situation as Iran will have lost face again.
Yeah I agree. I think Isreal will hold back now but hard to say with Netenyahu considering hiw unpopular he is in Isreal, he might see an opportunity to hang on to power longer rather than being in jail for a being a corrupt piece of **** like he should.

There be plenty more bridges to cross in the future which are hard to predict, though. It does look likely that we will see some kind of Isreali occupation of Gaza after all this so likely we'll see more issues arise from that, understandably.

Imagine being so desperate to cling on to power and save your own skin that you'd risk a major regional war and as a result sacrifice many of your own people. The west have been far too soft with Netenyahu and it's time to give him some proper hard truths and red lines including threats to withdraw support. America is a huge problem here as it's so divided - there is so much support for Israel over there and Biden is weak af and doesn't want to risk losing the election. America's Presidents since Bill Clinton have been mostly awful and it's not going to get any better after November.

The obvious response here to avoid escalation is to steer clear of Iranian territory but target Iranian interests/proxies in Syria or Iraq. Maybe a few rockets at Hezbollah too bumping off one or two senior military bods. Bombing that Iranian consulate in Syria was a step too far and hugely provocative.

Imagine being so desperate to cling on to power and save your own skin that you'd risk a major regional war and as a result sacrifice many of your own people. The west have been far too soft with Netenyahu and it's time to give him some proper hard truths and red lines including threats to withdraw support. America is a huge problem here as it's so divided - there is so much support for Israel over there and Biden is weak af and doesn't want to risk losing the election. America's Presidents since Bill Clinton have been mostly awful and it's not going to get any better after November.

The obvious response here to avoid escalation is to steer clear of Iranian territory but target Iranian interests/proxies in Syria or Iraq. Maybe a few rockets at Hezbollah too bumping off one or two senior military bods. Bombing that Iranian consulate in Syria was a step too far and hugely provocative.
Most world leaders at the moment are pretty awful and uninspiring.

Israel bombing the consulate was by all measures wrong. Iran doesn't help itself attacking Tower 22 and international shipping. People in Syria and Yemen are taking the hit when all strings are being pulled by Iran. Who know full well the west are reluctant to respond directly against Iran from fear of escalation.

I've no idea how you bring Iran and Israel in line. When they have both been poking each other with sticks for years.

Israel bombing the consulate was by all measures wrong. Iran doesn't help itself attacking Tower 22 and international shipping. People in Syria and Yemen are taking the hit when all strings are being pulled by Iran. Who know full well the west are reluctant to respond directly against Iran from fear of escalation.

I've no idea how you bring Iran and Israel in line. When they have both been poking each other with sticks for years.

It's a massive failure of leadership and diplomacy on both sides. Iran having been stirring trouble all over the region and hiding behind proxies while Israel are out of line for it's actions towards refugees in Gaza and especially for removing the two state solution from table which even goes against what it's allies and the UN support.

What's the solution? Who knows but regime change on both sides is likely needed as a first step. How that comes about is anyone's guess.

It's a massive failure of leadership and diplomacy on both sides. Iran having been stirring trouble all over the region and hiding behind proxies while Israel are out of line for it's actions towards refugees in Gaza and especially for removing the two state solution from table which even goes against what it's allies and the UN support.

What's the solution? Who knows but regime change on both sides is likely needed as a first step. How that comes about is anyone's guess.
Well you would think Netenyahu's days are numbered and as dodgy as their leader is Isreal is still a democracy that have elections and he isn't popular so it's just a question of when he goes not if. The big questions will who they get to replace him, hopefully with someone more moderate but while Netenyahu isn't popular the war in Gaza, generally speaking, is so who knows. I don't know enough (or anything) about their domestic politics but I'm sure they have some nutters waiting in the wings but likewise there must be some sane ones as well.

On the other side Hamas is a dictatorship that will never let go of power until they are destroyed. But then the **** thing is that wiping them out doesn't destroy the ideology and Palestinians generally still favour a 1 state solution as Hamas obviously always have and always will.

So basically it's ******.

Well you would think Netenyahu's days are numbered and as dodgy as their leader is Isreal is still a democracy that have elections and he isn't popular so it's just a question of when he goes not if. The big questions will who they get to replace him, hopefully with someone more moderate but while Netenyahu isn't popular the war in Gaza, generally speaking, is so who knows. I don't know enough (or anything) about their domestic politics but I'm sure they have some nutters waiting in the wings but likewise there must be some sane ones as well.

On the other side Hamas is a dictatorship that will never let go of power until they are destroyed. But then the **** thing is that wiping them out doesn't destroy the ideology and Palestinians generally still favour a 1 state solution as Hamas obviously always have and always will.

So basically it's ******.

There's a similarity with the situation in Taiwan. China wants to grab it and in their eyes re-unify while Taiwan and the west want it to be a sovereign state and for that to be recognised internationally (which China won't). What's been the solution so far? To keep the status quo as long as possible. Basically nobody gets what they want but both sides accept the status quo as an acceptable compromise (for now).

The two state solution is widely accepted to be the fairest compromise even if it's not without issues. It's basically the same status quo as above - if both sides can't agree a way to co-exist then why should either of them get what they want and drive the other lot out. The fight won't end even if one lot are driven out.

I agree though, it's ******.

There's a similarity with the situation in Taiwan. China wants to grab it and in their eyes re-unify while Taiwan and the west want it to be a sovereign state and for that to be recognised internationally (which China won't). What's been the solution so far? To keep the status quo as long as possible. Basically nobody gets what they want but both sides accept the status quo as an acceptable compromise (for now).

The two state solution is widely accepted to be the fairest compromise even if it's not without issues. It's basically the same status quo as above - if both sides can't agree a way to co-exist then why should either of them get what they want and drive the other lot out. The fight won't end even if one lot are driven out.

I agree though, it's ******.
Exactly, that's what a compromise is, neither side getting exactly what it wants and both sides giving up something, but both sides agreeing on something to move forward.

I think in the past Isreal has been in that place but I'm not sure Arafat, and now certainly Hamas, would've ever accepted a 2 state solution and as I say, more worryingly, your average Palestinian probably isn't to keen on a 2 state solution either.

Just as I hope for the average Israeli citizen to keep their house in order and get some moderate peaceful leader in charge I would hope that Palestinians do the same but, tbf, it's a lot harder for them considering they don't live in a democracy and the conditions they live in (in large part due to Hamas) are pretty horrific so understandably are going to be more susceptible to extremism but only slightly more than Isrealis.

I know Hamas rule with an iron fist as well but ideally there's an uprising of some sort against them from ordinary Palestinians but I don't think, again understandably, there's any appetite for that at present.

Because of course she does, another member of the far right cult. The common thread among all these people is they have shat all over basic conventions, have not a shred of integrity or decency and have driven their respective countries to a point of being more hateful, paranoid and feeding a delusion section. Divisive and destructive the whole lot of them, no attempt by any to do anything except sow chaos, spread disinformation, blame everyone else, spread conspiracies and turn people on each other.

Last edited:
I reckon she's the political equivalent of a conspiracy theorist. The more right wing ideas she gets the further along the path she goes. It's like someone keeps feeding her new videos of right wing conspiracies that pull her further along.

Latest posts