• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

I get the idea and quite a few countries do it. For me both parties needs to do something about defence spending and increasing the size of the military.
It's more about increasing capabilities than increasing size. Modern Western weapons are eye-wateringly expensive. As an example: one squadron of F-35s cost the same in equivalent terms as the entire Fighter force fielded by the RAF in the battle of Britain. That's why the British Army is currently at at least half the size it was when I served a few decades ago. The big decision is do you increase it's size or increase it's capability, unfortunately I don't think you can do both.

It's more about increasing capabilities than increasing size. Modern Western weapons are eye-wateringly expensive. As an example: one squadron of F-35s cost the same in equivalent terms as the entire Fighter force fielded by the RAF in the battle of Britain. That's why the British Army is currently at at least half the size it was when I served a few decades ago. The big decision is do you increase it's size or increase it's capability, unfortunately I don't think you can do both.
True it also depends on where you put that money. What type of war your fighting etc. As you said there's a massive difference between costs of a squadren of main battle tanks than a company of foot infantry. Saying that the infrantry kit isn't exaxtly cheap.

True it also depends on where you put that money. What type of war your fighting etc. As you said there's a massive difference between costs of a squadren of main battle tanks than a company of foot infantry. Saying that the infrantry kit isn't exaxtly cheap.
It's more, do you have a company of Infantry or a couple of HIMARs, do you have 5 frigates or another aircraft carrier, another Squadron of F-35s or a whole new SAM system with EW capabilities. Very tough decisions which if I'm being honest all govements since the 60s have gotten wrong.

I would recommend listening to Lewis Goodall's interview with James Cleverly on LBC this morning (Sunday) @10AM. It was excellent and they discussed the National Service proposal.

Cleverly suggested it was an attempt to bring communities together, get young people from different backgrounds to integrate and understand different classes of society.

Lewis pointed out that all age ranges tended to not integrate with people from different backgrounds and why were they not making it compulsory for retired people to take up National Service and volunteering.
Here the link for it. Yup Cleverly ripped apart really showing its not a thought out policy.

Good of Sunak to take the weekend off.

Here the link for it. Yup Cleverly ripped apart really showing its not a thought out policy.

Good of Sunak to take the weekend off.

Yeah, cut youth services and youth clubs and then force them into the army instead...

Yeah, cut youth services and youth clubs and then force them into the army instead...
Here's the wording from the beeb. 18 and upwards. But i would dearly love to see just investment in youth services Labour or Tory. Up to 80% cuts since 2010 and in some places total cuts is mad.

• Military training: Applying for one of up to 30,000 "selective" military placements reserved for teenagers deemed the "brightest and the best" in areas like logistics, cyber security, procurement or civil response operations over a year-long period

Here's the wording from the beeb. 18 and upwards. But i would dearly love to see just investment in youth services Labour or Tory. Up to 80% cuts since 2010 and in some places total cuts is mad.

• Military training: Applying for one of up to 30,000 "selective" military placements reserved for teenagers deemed the "brightest and the best" in areas like logistics, cyber security, procurement or civil response operations over a year-long period
Tbh what military training or volunteering they would do is irrelevant. This is coming from a party that thrives on scapegoating those that are different. On top, trying to justify it by saying it would bring communities together, well youth services before the age of 18 would have a bigger impact on young people. The whole thing is just a pie in the sky idea from a party who can promise anything without having to follow through.

Tbh what military training or volunteering they would do is irrelevant. This is coming from a party that thrives on scapegoating those that are different. On top, trying to justify it by saying it would bring communities together, well youth services before the age of 18 would have a bigger impact on young people. The whole thing is just a pie in the sky idea from a party who can promise anything without having to follow through.
This, the Tories would not be proposing this if they thought they had a hope in hell of winning the election.

I'm personally opposed to the idea of the government dictating what people can do work wise once they are legally an adult.

Oh one party is Triple Lock plus!

I wonder when either party is going to make a thing about promises to young people. Many young people who have been abandoned by the Tories waste now voting age and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. The young may not have the same voting power yet but they will be the major economic drivers in the future. The fact that Tories have basically 15 years worth of young adults they have abandoned at best or blamed for everything at worst is really coming home to roost.

Last edited:
I wonder when either party is going to make a thing about promises to young people. Many young people who have been abandoned by the Tories waste now voting age and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. The young may not have the same voting power yet but they will be the major economic drivers in the future. The fact that Tories have basically 15 years worth of young adults they have abandoned at great or blamed for everything at worst is really coming home to roost.
It's not even young people late GenXers and early Millenials are in the "middle" of thier working years hear policies like that and still wonder if they'll ever retire. One if the things strikes me is how pensions have less felt the impact Truss through the triple lock and the fact their mortgages were long paid off. Infact whilst those of working age have felt the squeeze massively their taxes have been used to keep pensioners cozy.

Other than Great British Energy something comes out for those of working age. Starmer yesterday (he's me tinned it several times) of a family who chose not to have a second child because Truss.simple meant they couldn't afford it. The only issue is he didn't really say how he's prevent that from happening or any assistance.

It's not even young people late GenXers and early Millenials are in the "middle" of thier working years hear policies like that and still wonder if they'll ever retire. One if the things strikes me is how pensions have less felt the impact Truss through the triple lock and the fact their mortgages were long paid off. Infact whilst those of working age have felt the squeeze massively their taxes have been used to keep pensioners cozy.

Other than Great British Energy something comes out for those of working age. Starmer yesterday (he's me tinned it several times) of a family who chose not to have a second child because Truss.simple meant they couldn't afford it. The only issue is he didn't really say how he's prevent that from happening or any assistance.
You just know that, for those of younger working age, those same pension protections will but be in place. Every time millennials etc reach an age where they should start seeing the benefit, the rug is pulled out from under them.

I've been working professionally for 7 years and still haven't encountered "good" years.

Work till you drop, unable to buy a house. No help if you have more than two kids. Not much to look forward to if you are a teenager.

You just know that, for those of younger working age, those same pension protections will but be in place. Every time millennials etc reach an age where they should start seeing the benefit, the rug is pulled out from under them.

I've been working professionally for 7 years and still haven't encountered "good" years.
I'm 40 this year so been working professionally for 17, my benefits purely come from high earnings. But I also can't quite afford private healthcare and just waited 2 years for the wife's kidney stone surgery and myself will be waiting the best part of year for a vasectomy when it finally happens (yes its optional but its also a 30min procedure under local anesthetic).

The collapse of Lehman brothers just happened as I entered the workforce permently and I've never known it to be good. Its also readily apparent to me just how much advantage those 5+ years older than have had in workplace with greater opportunity earlier in their careers to advance (due to expanding economy and therefore jobs) most businesses I've worked at have been stagnant and grow through acquisition rather than work either through more orders or developing new products. This makes opportunities to advance your career through that growth less as your acquiring the new workforce through buying them rather needing to employ them.

I'm sure one day things will change because they can't remain at breaking point forever but I'm 99% sure my generation won't be the ones to see it.

But Starmer said last week that the investigation was still continuing and he hoped that it would be finished shortly.

But Starmer said last week that the investigation was still continuing and he hoped that it would be finished shortly.
If you read his quotes he didn't exactly lie.

On Friday, Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer told BBC News that Diane Abbott is "going through, and being part of and getting to the end of a disciplinary process because of something she said".

He said it "would be sorted out now within a few days because the deadline for candidates is coming".

Sounds like someone is deliberately dragging their heels once she completed the course to get the final bits tied up. But also surprised she hasn't been pushing for a resolution publicly but I guess it didn't come to ahead as no one was expecting the election now.

Latest posts