• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current chat from some political journos is that the exit polls may have underestimated the Conservatives and that they might actually get the majority.

Also apparently a couple of Lib Dem candidates/MPs have said they expect Clegg to be gone after this.

Labour have been destroyed in Scotland.

Why didn't Scotland vote for independence? It seems that everyone is voting SNP ATM.

I suppose there's a difference between wanting to be out of the UK and having a Scottish party looking out for your interests in Westminster.
Will be interesting to see the numbers of SNP voters compared to the numbers of Yes - hard to judge with the FPTP system.

I forgot how much I hate Salmond - Sturgeon is far better.

Hearing him talk about Scottish lions you can tell he doesn't watch the rugby as he would know there is no such thing. ;)

Labour have been destroyed in Scotland.

Why didn't Scotland vote for independence? It seems that everyone is voting SNP ATM.
Well most off us would say the vote was rigged. But i think people were simply scared off change.

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose there's a difference between wanting to be out of the UK and having a Scottish party looking out for your interests in Westminster.
Will be interesting to see the numbers of SNP voters compared to the numbers of Yes - hard to judge with the FPTP system.

I agree with you there hated Salmond.

Andrew Neil is doing my nut!

Also what the hell is going on on top of his head?! That is not hair, I'm sorry.

At this moment in time, I don't think long term there is, in all balance of probability. They will spark xenophobic feeling on both sides of the border and, given that Scotland's long term interests probably do lie in being part of the UK (economically speaking), I don't think they're looking out for Scotland's interests either.

Also, looking at the Beeb, they seem to reckon the Tories will get just short of a minority, which I'm guessing they can probably patch (just...) with the DUP... not sure how I feel about that for a ruling coalition.

Anyway, I accidentally slept all day and didn't vote. I'm a naughty boy.

As an LD member/town council candidate (I'm just making up numbers) this result is pretty devastating and we have accept going into government was the wrong plan as we have been resoundly told by voters no.

The votes seams to have evenly swung between Con/Green/Lab on seats we've lost.

Talking about it's a young peoples party, I grew up in a LD constituency (Yeovil yet to declare) and it's not very young there. My facebook feed is mainly full of 30-50 years olds lefty-liberal (some of whom earn a massive ton of money compared to me and I'm above average) and most seam to have switched to Green support. So that assertion looks wrong but I think a lot of people start off LD as students just don't think they switch to Con from what I can tell.

Well no red edd in league with the wicked witch of the north no one saw dodgy Dave winning that one

SNP killed any chances of Labour getting in. Happy for Scotland, but it's not good news for the UK Imo. Could take a long, long time for Labour to recover from this, so we could be in line for many a year of tory governments.

I just hope they don't go nuts with the cuts to public sectors. We need the NHS to improve, cuts won't make that happen. Same for many other sectors.

Slightly depressed this morning. I voted Plaid btw.

Well, that's FPTP for you. You could get 40% of the vote and 10% of the seat, or vice versa.

I give Scotland 10 years before they leave the UK. Strong SNP showing and another Tory government, it's a recipe for disaster. Particularly if the promised EU referendum goes the wrong way.

Well at least some interesting seats lost (or not gained)

Multiple Lib Dems esp Yeovil
Natalie Bennett
Ed Balls
George Galloway

Potential more.

Well that's the Union dead, No way it will survive with the SNP basically controlling all of Scotland and the Tories having a majority. There will be calls for another referendum, especially if there is one on the EU. We face the very real possibility of the UK leaving the EU and then splitting itself apart. That's where our politicians have got this country.

I don't think they will call for another referendum (except if EU referendum means we leave it) for a while.

As said prob around in between 5-10 years.

BBC News said:
David Cameron promises to 'bring UK together'

......right.

I don't think they will call for another referendum (except if EU referendum means we leave it) for a while.

As said prob around in between 5-10 years.
I think they will. Maybe not straight away, but definitely during this Governments term.
SNP want a referendum, and they control the vast vast vast majority of Scotland - they'll be chipping away at the Tories constantly for it.
Especially as the vote was so close last time - it only takes a couple of percent swing for it to become a Yes vote, and I think there'll be enough people ****** off at Cameron to do it.

Good thing about SNP winning so many seats is that they despise the Tories and will do everything they can to oppose them.

Last edited:
Great result for the UK (except for Scotland of course) and the best chance of the recovery being maintaned which will bring prosperity to the working people of Britain and lighten the burden of the defict on the shoulders of the next and the next generation after that which would have been increased by the spend, spend, spend attitude of the Left.

Glad to see Balls and Millipede gone.....they were opportunists of the first order and the face and soul of the old unelectable Labour party financed by the Unions (who got Millipede elected as Leader) and one can only hope that they pick a strong forward looking centre ground leader for the future of their party which is necessary for the UK who need a better opposition party esepcially as they will inevitably become a government at some stage be it the next election or maybe the one after!

I would much have preferred that the two parties were forced to work together in Government for the people rather than for themselves but reckon that may be a step too far!!!

The SNP have been elected en masse and there is little doubt that the rabble rousers and thugs they attract were partly responsible for this but reality is that the Scots, many of whom hate the English to the extent that all rationality is submerged by the lies and subterfuge, espoused by the SNP so forcibly but which was so much propoganda (much like that by Goebbels), taking the place of reality, have registered their protest vote against the Tories.

Next year the elections are to be held for the Scottish Assembly, and it is this body that deals with much of the Government of Scotland (importantly the NHI which has been the absolute responsibility of the Scottish not English Government for the last five years). It is these elections that are the really important ones for the Scots and the question of a new referendum will be THE priority for the SNP's manifesto for that election......will they sweep all ahead of them then? I do not think so. Personally, I think that the English should firstly bar them from voting in Parliament on issues they are not involved in and which they deal with in the Assembly (thus increasing their majority) and give them more power not less and be reay to rescue them when it all goes to c***!! That would get rid of the Barnet formula and stop the SNP propoganda that all that is bad in Scotland is the fault of the "nasty Tories/English" and all that is good is down to the deal old SNP!!

Last edited:
Theresa May has basically said that the Tories are giving extra powers to the Police/Security Forces to monitor the internet, and that they couldn't do this before because the Lib Dems blocked it.

Bye bye personal privacy, hello being sent to the gulag for saying David Cameron is a puffy faced swan eating c*** on twitter.

What did Orkney vote for?
Lib Dems

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts