• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No they are investigating in you and you don't do a full time job. Most of your time in your first year is spent in the classroom and learning the basics you are almost in full time education an education that would cost you a lot of money if you paid for it yourself. The company pays this for and gives you money on top which increases the more skilled and productive you become it's a win win for everyone involved, the apprentice gets a proper skill not some desmond degree in sociology and company after and investment in time and money get a skilled employee.

And you can post whatever links you like I have been involved from a witness point of view in a number of tribunal cases and most have been under 2 years service

I should also point out I don't agree with an age based minimum wage.

I was very lucky when I finished school and got a job which paid the same regardless of how old you were (£5.25/hour I believe in 2001!). However I was far more capable than most of the staff there especially when it came to stock taking once I learned the job in about a week. Why should anyone be paid less just because of their age when they are just as productive and capable than those over the age of 22?

- - - Updated - - -

And you can post whatever links you like I have been involved from a witness point of view in a number of tribunal cases and most have been under 2 years service
Goverment website= wrong

Guy on internet = right

That's the point they are not as productive because they are not fully skilled.

Also regards references if you are dismissed your company doesn't give you a reference.

No they are investigating in you and you don't do a full time job. Most of your time in your first year is spent in the classroom and learning the basics you are almost in full time education an education that would cost you a lot of money if you paid for it yourself. The company pays this for and gives you money on top which increases the more skilled and productive you become it's a win win for everyone involved, the apprentice gets a proper skill not some desmond degree in sociology and company after and investment in time and money get a skilled employee.
If your in classroom you don't get paid most of the time. So why when your at work should you be paid a measly £2.73 an hour?

Apprenticeships are just cheap labour for company's most are very capable in a little time and expected to do a fair bit whilst being told they are 'learning' from other much better paid staff.

You get paid the measly wage as you put it for being in the classroom. Do you have experience or concept of what an apprenticeship is?

That's the point they are not as productive because they are not fully skilled.

Also regards references if you are dismissed your company doesn't give you a reference.
I know of at least three cases where people have been dismissed and the company still gives them a basic reference,refusing references is just too complex for most HR departments it's easier just to say Bob worked here between x and y and be done with it. DAMN just said the I know of x example isn't fair.

That's the basic reference nearly all companies give for jobs up to a certain level for leavers . And it's quite simple for HR departments: has the person been sacked? Yes ok no reference

You get paid the measly wage as you put it for being in the classroom. Do you have experience or concept of what an apprenticeship is?
Depends entirely on your apprentice contract. I wasn't an apprentice, my experience was that of my wife in a nursery who was expected on day 1 to take full control of group of kids with the minimalist of supervision form the person apparently teaching her. Yet was paid the minimum amount and would of not been paid whilst away from nursery studying in fact her course was apart from exams was expected to be completed entirely in her spare time.

Apprentices at my work pretty much do full time jobs but I don't have much experience with them personally we take on only university graduates for my job (software engineer) and they need still quite a bit of coaching after uni (doesn't stop them getting paid 24k though).

- - - Updated - - -

That's the basic reference nearly all companies give for jobs up to a certain level for leavers . And it's quite simple for HR departments: has the person been sacked? Yes ok no reference
I know that for the first bit. The second part true but my experience of most HR departments is that of pretty much gross incopentence on the most basic of tasks(not everyone is like that I know).

Ok the difference between a graduate and an apprenticeship is the graduate should be fully qualified and only needs showing the ropes so a full time wage should be paid. An apprenticeship from my experience as an apprentice welder is a 2 to 4 year scheme where you start the first year very much in a training environment and gradually progress to the shop floor earning more as you spend more time actually doing the work. When I was leaving school the vast majority of lads would be fighting to get apprenticeships and the company's would be fighting to get them. Only about 25% of school leavers in 91 yes I'm that old went onto university. I was initially lucky to bag an apprenticeship with rolls Royce in Derby but got made redundant when they scrapped there apprenticeship scheme something that would bite them in later years. So I did my apprenticeship in the army.

It does look like your missus got exploited but a good apprenticeship scheme works well for everyone

Depends entirely on your apprentice contract. I wasn't an apprentice, my experience was that of my wife in a nursery who was expected on day 1 to take full control of group of kids with the minimalist of supervision form the person apparently teaching her. Yet was paid the minimum amount and would of not been paid whilst away from nursery studying in fact her course was apart from exams was expected to be completed entirely in her spare time.

Apprentices at my work pretty much do full time jobs but I don't have much experience with them personally we take on only university graduates for my job (software engineer) and they need still quite a bit of coaching after uni (doesn't stop them getting paid 24k though).

- - - Updated - - -

I know that for the first bit. The second part true but my experience of most HR departments is that of pretty much gross incopentence on the most basic of tasks(not everyone is like that I know).

My experience is a bit different most companies have pretty robust HR policy and when it comes to the meeting where the employee is looking like getting the chop there is always the option of jump first and take the reference.....

Can't stand elections don't like any party don't like any Candidate.

Constant bashing of the opposition instead of focusing on themselves.

Twitter and Facebook trolls in full force thinking that being offensive (either left or right) is the same as being political. Arrogance of others telling me what I should do in full swing yet can't stand being in a actual debate.

Can't stand the whole Scotland thing going on as well.

God I hate election election time.

CBA voting tomorrow, my seat is already a stronghold for a party so it wouldn't make a difference really.

Ah, g'wan and spoil your ballot. Let them know you think they're all muppets.

I have to say, I'm struggling to get myself out. I'm in a safe Labour seat, my vote has a really minimal chance of changing things. People can talk about the importance of voting - and I'll say it myself - but really, one of the reasons this country's political system is so pants right now is the huge number of people who seem think democracy is turning up once every five years to sign the paper and then going home and doing nought about it.

The seat I live in has been Labour for over 800 years.

I mean I find Politics interesting (I studied it at A Levels and did very well ;) ).

But as said it just seems people think politics only revolve around the elections and do it to the extreme to the point where debates just become arguments and a slagging match.

Thought I'd post this here. (It's obviously not 100% accurate, but gives the basic jist of things)
[h=3]The tax system explained in beer![/h] Suppose that, every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to £100.
If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this...
* The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing
* The fifth would pay £1
* The sixth would pay £3
* The seventh would pay £7
* The eighth would pay £12
* The ninth would pay £18
* The tenth man (the richest) would pay £59
So, that's what they decided to do.
The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement; until one day the owner threw them a problem.
"Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by £20." Drinks for the ten now cost just £80.
The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes.
So the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free.
But what about the other six men? The paying customers? How could they divide the £20 windfall so that everyone would get his fair share?
They realised that £20 divided by six is £3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer.
So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay.
* And so the fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings)
* The sixth now paid £2 instead of £3 (33% savings)
* The seventh now pay £5 instead of £7 (28% savings)
* The eighth now paid £9 instead of £12 (25% savings)
* The ninth now paid £14 instead of £18 (22% savings)
* The tenth now paid £49 instead of £59 (16% savings)
Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.
"I only got a pound out of the £20," declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man, "But he got £10!"
"Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved £1 as well.
It's unfair that he got ten times more than I!" "That's true!!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get £10 back when I got only £2? The wealthy get all the breaks!"
"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!"
The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.
The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they
discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!
And that is how our tax system works.
The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just
may not show up any more. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.
For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible
Now who's round is it ?????

excellent!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe thats why they all come to France as the beer is so much cheaper!!!!!

Thought I'd post this here. (It's obviously not 100% accurate, but gives the basic jist of things)
The tax system explained in beer!

Suppose that, every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to £100.
If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this...
* The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing
* The fifth would pay £1
* The sixth would pay £3
* The seventh would pay £7
* The eighth would pay £12
* The ninth would pay £18
* The tenth man (the richest) would pay £59
So, that's what they decided to do.
The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement; until one day the owner threw them a problem.
"Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by £20." Drinks for the ten now cost just £80.
The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes.
So the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free.
But what about the other six men? The paying customers? How could they divide the £20 windfall so that everyone would get his fair share?
They realised that £20 divided by six is £3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer.
So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay.
* And so the fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings)
* The sixth now paid £2 instead of £3 (33% savings)
* The seventh now pay £5 instead of £7 (28% savings)
* The eighth now paid £9 instead of £12 (25% savings)
* The ninth now paid £14 instead of £18 (22% savings)
* The tenth now paid £49 instead of £59 (16% savings)
Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.
"I only got a pound out of the £20," declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man, "But he got £10!"
"Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved £1 as well.
It's unfair that he got ten times more than I!" "That's true!!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get £10 back when I got only £2? The wealthy get all the breaks!"
"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!"
The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.
The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they
discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!
And that is how our tax system works.
The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just
may not show up any more. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.
For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible
Now who's round is it ?????
Your analogy is far too simple to impart any useful wisdom.

Let me try another analogy. There's a grocery store with an "entry tax" of £3 and a 10% "food tax" on the value of the goods bought (i.e. the initial cost before deductions). You only have to pay 20% if you earn less than £150 per day, 50% if you're between £150 and £500, and 100% if you earn £500 or more.

So four three four-person families (food bill of £100):
Person A has an income of £100 per day, buys £100 worth of food, pays £3 in entry tax, £10 on the food tax, but only has to pay £20 on the food. Total bill: £33.
Person B has an income of £300 per day, buys £150 worth of food, pays £3 in entry tax, £15 on the food tax, but only has to pay £75 on the food. Total bill: £93.
Person C has an income of £1000 per day, buys £200 worth of food, pays £3 in entry tax, £20 on the food tax, pays the full £200 on the food. Total bill: £223.

As a percentage of their income, Person A spends 33% on food, Person B spends 31% on food and Person C spends 22.3% on food. Question 1: is this a fair result in taxation?

Situation A: Let's say a government comes in and starts subsidising food bills. It is now 15% for the poorest, 40% for the middle, 80% for the richest.

The revised costs are:
Person A: £28 (28%) - reduction of 5%
Person B: £78 (26%) - reduction of 5%
Person C: £183 (18.3%) - reduction of 5%

It costs the government a total of £60 to do this for these three people.

Situaton B: Let's say that instead of subsidising the food bill, they got rid of the "entry tax" and the "food tax".

The revised costs are:
Person A: £20 (20%) - reduction of 13%
Person B: £75 (25%) - reduction of 6%
Person C: £200 (20%) - reduction of 2.3%

It costs the government a total of £54 to do this.

Question 2: Which of the two situations above is preferable?

The reality of it is that we have to pay for the state through taxes. We can do this either through "progressive" taxes (such as income tax), where the cost of the bill is dependent on your income, or we can do it on the basis of "regressive" taxes (such as VAT and council tax), where there is a much flatter rate, which is not linked to income and the richest pay a significantly lower percentage of their income on this. The "regressive" taxes bump up the poorest in society's tax bill so much, that the poorest pay a much bigger percentage of their income on tax than the richest, as seen in the initial situation above, where the "entry tax" and the "food tax" bump up Person A's tax bill so much that they pay a much bigger percentage of their income on tax than Person C.

So when we talk about tax breaks, cutting income tax for the richest always causes issues for the poorest. Situation A cost £60 to implement, with £40 of these savings going to Person C. The state then needs to be shrunk by £60, and this affects the poorest more so than the richest. However, if we cut the regressive taxes, such as the "entry tax" and "food tax", with a similar kind of outlay by the government, the poorest benefit much more. Aside from this, when the richest get savings on their tax bill, this money is generally saved. The richest do not live paycheck-to-paycheck like the poorest do. When the poorest get the money back, this money is reinvested in the economy. So there is an economic benefit to cutting regressive taxes too.

Last edited:
Exit polls are sickeningly Conservative.
Hopefully the real deal is a bit more palatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts