• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Biking thread

I'm in the middle of building myself a new bike. I grew up lusting after mid-late 90's and early 00's mountain bikes, especially Kona's. It was the ultimate weight weenie era which has still stuck with me.

I've already got a couple of '95 Kona's, an AA hardtail and Cindercone Singlespeed for commuting. The latest build is along the same lines as the Cindercone, but with an almost dream speclist. '96 Kilauea frame, early 00's XTR, custom billet chainring, some gold bling etc. I still need to build the wheels, which I'm tempted to do myself as the last time I had a wheel built it was very expensive - dying art I suppose.

Part of the fun for me is tracking down all the parts which are becoming scarce. It's probably taken me 3 years on and off to get to this stage and I've still got a few pieces to track down (e.g. some early Ti Eggbeater pedals). I'll probably refrain from adding up how much it's cost, well into 4 figures and too much for an old steel framed Kona probably!
that it is truly awesome.

Just had to replace the bottom bracket on my road bike. Apparently all the salt from the trainer isn't great for the lifespan.

What drive trains do you use on your bike? I have an Enviolo IGH with carbon gates belt. It's a CVT which I control like via a twist shifter on the handlebars. I really like it so far, as I can change gears when stopped at traffic lights. Generally maintenance free although I do wash with a bit of water and a brush, plus spray with a bit of silicon.

What drive trains do you use on your bike? I have an Enviolo IGH with carbon gates belt. It's a CVT which I control like via a twist shifter on the handlebars. I really like it so far, as I can change gears when stopped at traffic lights. Generally maintenance free although I do wash with a bit of water and a brush, plus spray with a bit of silicon.
Nice. Belt drives have really appealed ever since I first saw one. They're probably the perfect commuter drivetrain, with quiet, mess, maintenance free operation. Only downside is that the belt doesn't split like a chain, so the frame has to do so instead.

The big reasons that I've gone singlespeed on my commuter is for the low maintenance and quietness. There's compromises, like struggling up hills, and maxing out on flat; but I just love it. It's so efficient in transferring power as well. I'm cuttently running a 42-13 gear ratio which works quite well. Coudn't get the new spiderless chainring in a larger size than 36 tooth, so will be going 36-12 which is the smallest sprocket available I think on a standard Shimano freehub. You can get 11t, but I don't understand how the chain doesn't bind on the freehub either side...

Only downside is that the belt doesn't split like a chain, so the frame has to do so instead.
Can you clarify?

The only downside I thought is that it's not as efficient as a chain. Apparently it's around 85% efficiency rating (on cargo e-bikes). A rolhoff on the other hand (v. Expensive) I've read has a 94.5% efficiency.

My Enviolo has an equivalent gear range of 380%. Not quite as great on the high gears - on a flat I touch speeds of just over 16mph and the motor stops assisting at 15.5mph. But that's fine - fast enough for me and I am only looking for that extra oomph going up hills and I can change to lower gears whilst peddling but still need to ease off slightly. I still get the work out and enjoy the ride more.

Can you clarify?
Usually the belts themselves are a one piece item, so to thread it from inside the chainstays where it engages for the rear wheel, to outside the BB where it engages with the chainset, there needs to be a way to 'split' the drive side chainstay or seatstay somewhere. Pic below probably helps.

1706619115376.png

Just come across a kit online though where the belt itself has a split in it, held together with several pins to allow itnto be used on all frames. Kinda cool, but well over £400 for the kit is a hefty price!

https://www.veercycle.com/products/split-belt-pro

Usually the belts themselves are a one piece item, so to thread it from inside the chainstays where it engages for the rear wheel, to outside the BB where it engages with the chainset, there needs to be a way to 'split' the drive side chainstay or seatstay somewhere. Pic below probably helps.

View attachment 18839

Just come across a kit online though where the belt itself has a split in it, held together with several pins to allow itnto be used on all frames. Kinda cool, but well over £400 for the kit is a hefty price!

https://www.veercycle.com/products/split-belt-pro
Interesting. My belt drive came installed on my bike.

IMG_3226.jpeg

I want a fixie track bike so bad but I live in the mountains so it would be hell. Belts make a lot of sense for commuting though.

My road bikes have different iterations of Shimano Ultegra 11 speed. Pretty much fit and forget. Do what they say on the tin although not as sexy as Campag.

Son in law swears by Sram. He's about to go electronic shifting so will be interesting to see what he makes of it. Pricey, but sure I'll follow suit eventually.

Both mine are rim brakes and work fine even OK in the wet with carbon wheels. Disc braking is sharper though and on virtually all new bikes.

N+1 itch is starting….

My next bike (so two years time) will definitely be sram e tap. I might switch to it soon and put it on my current bike but I'm very happy with my 105 11 speed.

I have the shimano grx for my gravel bike and it works fine. Don't want electronic on that.

But yeah VT, I want every bike.

Wow so much choice in the derailleur subset of gearing. I did try it on the Trek e-bike I road tested before settling on my Gazelle but having to remember to change down before stopping and then only being able to change up when getting going, plus the ongoing maintenance/replacing it swayed me going for an IGH plus gates carbon belt drive. Almost 2,900 miles and still going strong. Read it can last up to 19,000 miles, but then comes the cost of replacing it.

Yes, even cyclists can be knobs. Actually makes me appreciate there aren't as many where I live compared to London.

I wear a fluorescent jacket when riding during the day. Can't say I ride at night, especially on roads. Seen a few cyclists who don't have lights on their bike who ride at night.

Being seen Iis the best protection.
I don't wear my high-vis in daylight, but absolutely do (and lights) when it starts getting dark.
But then, most of.my cycling is cycle lane, or housing areas.

The number of people cycling at night, in dark clothes and no lights is ridiculous. Often just crossing the road without looking, indicating, or caring.

The Times reporting about high value bike thefts (similar to the Rolex thefts) in London's Regent's Park for early commuters. Apparently this is down to Albanian gangs in the area who ride alongside victims and threaten them if their bike is on the list. The bikes are then shipped to Russia where sanctions have bitten on such high value items. Police quoted response in the article was next to useless.

I want a fixie track bike so bad but I live in the mountains so it would be hell. Belts make a lot of sense for commuting though.

Didn't know what one was until I saw this. Am a novice when it comes to bikes (BMX when I was young) then nothing until last few years.

Latest posts