• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's my biggest problem with the article I linked... It implies that Trumps used to be ravelled in the first place!

Shortly after the election I read an article / interview with Howard Stern. He and Trump used to be really close, but he said their friendship soured after Trump did a complete 180 on his views (in the interview he said that Trump had always been fairly liberal, except on taxes and regulations, which makes sense for a rich businessman). Anyways, he predicted that Trump wouldn't make it through the term, specifically because he would have some type of mental breakdown and either resign or engage in self destructive behaviors. It seems like HS was spot on. And he said this would happen because Trump, at his core, just wants to be loved by everyone, and that that is simply not possible in politics, especially when your political style is to be as divisive as possible (he also intimated that this divisive nature was a new trait in Trump. He recognized that Trump had always been petty and vindictive, but he never saw Trump behave like the way he is now).

Incidentally, he's done it again...
https://mobile.twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/918537489769488385

I find Trump very dull.
Putin is far more interesting.
Putin is exceptionally intelligent. He outplayed Obama over two terms and Trump is childs play for him.
Putin is dangerous and clever, he's much moere interesting to watch.

I find Trump very dull.
Putin is far more interesting.
Putin is exceptionally intelligent. He outplayed Obama over two terms and Trump is childs play for him.
Putin is dangerous and clever, he's much moere interesting to watch.
Not sure there is any Western leader that stacks up against Putin. I mean how could someone actually overrun the Crimea and convince supposedly liberal people that its self determination? Pure Genius

... and not a squeak out of Crimea since either.
Mind you, as a modern entity Crimea only became a province in the 1950's because Khruschev made provincial lines under the assumption that the Soviet Union would never collapse and everyone would be happy bunnies under the one roof forevermore... oh that didn't go so well...
Eastern Ukraine seem to be very happy to be able to avoid being under the reign of the Donald Trump equivalent in the soviet sector, the chocolate billionaire, that guy is nasty.
Putin is a very interesting character and he comes across as quite chilling when he's seriously put to the test, like when that Turkish nutter Erdogan shot down the Soviet fighter bomber inside Syrian air space; the world held it's breath and waited to see apoplectic rage from Putin...
Instead he became the iceman, stopped all the holiday tourist visas for Russians travelling to Turkey and stopped food trade for at least a year.
Turkeys economy faltered as hundreds of thousands of tonnes of tomatoes rotted away and their vast mediterranean hotel industry sat silent until Erdogan apologised.
Putin had his ******** in a vice grip.
Putin stepped up his attacks on the convoys taking Isis oil from Syria and western Iraq to ports in Turkey to be loaded onto American tankers bound for Houston...
He brought Erdogan to heel.
Putin is a dangerous leader, but he is also highly intelligent and not prone at all to the very public gaffes as per the Oompah loompah, he is entertaining to watch.
He also understands that if nuclear gets unleashed then everybody loses.
In this instance Trumpy is on the same wavelength as Kim Jong twatfeatures.

His narcissism is out in front for everyone to admire/giggle at, he's not shy of pulling his top off and getting uber-macho to appeal to the Russian faithful.
He doesn't do anything without thinking about it first. Everything is done for a desired effect.
He is supremely calculating, I wouldn't want to play him at chess, I think he might eviscerate me by thinking a dozen moves ahead before my poor King gets it in the ribs with a plutonium pellet on Wandsworth bridge from a pointy umbrella on a rainy day.

His narcissism is out in front for everyone to admire/giggle at, he's not shy of pulling his top off and getting uber-macho to appeal to the Russian faithful.
He doesn't do anything without thinking about it first. Everything is done for a desired effect.
He is supremely calculating, I wouldn't want to play him at chess, I think he might eviscerate me by thinking a dozen moves ahead before my poor King gets it in the ribs with a plutonium pellet on Wandsworth bridge from a pointy umbrella on a rainy day.

I don't think Putin is as much as you say. There is this cult around him that makes people perceive him as much better than he is, he clearly gets rattled when challenged and only appears so strong because he is so rarely challenged. The one clever thing Russia is doing is waging information warfare in the West and getting Westerners to hate their own governments and distrust their own sources of information whilst admiring Putin as this almost superhuman and buying into the Russian propaganda. He is calculating because he goes as far as he can without leading to a more direct confrontation with the West, essentially he bullies those that are weaker. A large part is also because the West made efforts to improve relations with Russia, efforts Russia has never reciprocated. I can guarantee that the second the West begins to challenge Putin again, the aura of invincibility will begin to crack. You only have to look at what happened once the west started putting sanctions on Russia again, it shows Putin is not able to handle them like he can Turkey. If the West decided to seriously ramp up the sanctions and do to Russia what Russia did to Turkey, Putin would not be calm about it nor would he have the ability to do anything to stop it. He's just fortunate there is little desire in the West to play these games right now.

As with most of the Ex-Communist states, posturing is everything.

You're dreaming mate, living in an American led past.
The future is electric and gas, the petro chemical dollar is on the way out.
The Chinese, -Russians and India are all working on the same wavelength and it won't be long before Iran gets in on the act as well.
America still has the firepower by some distance and I don't see that changing for a good long while but it's losing the trade battle and the rest of the world is powering ahead in manufacturing and heading off down the renewable energy route.
One of the three cornerstones of American wealth is oil.
With the dependency on that substance likely to be seriously slashed in the next 20 years, the American economy is going to tank unless they change direction and policy, particularly foreign policy.
Their soft negotiating hand doesn't exist. It's the strongarm or nothing. It's just not making the gains of the other leading powers.
China is killing them all over the place and India are making great strides. Both are working with Iran in massive trade deals and the sanctions on Iran are little more than a gesture.
Russia is comfortable and going with the flow.
Britain is wallowing in the shallows of brexit Bay and the USA is in mega debt.
Funny how things change...

You're dreaming mate, living in an American led past.
The future is electric and gas, the petro chemical dollar is on the way out.
The Chinese, -Russians and India are all working on the same wavelength and it won't be long before Iran gets in on the act as well.
America still has the firepower by some distance and I don't see that changing for a good long while but it's losing the trade battle and the rest of the world is powering ahead in manufacturing and heading off down the renewable energy route.
One of the three cornerstones of American wealth is oil.
With the dependency on that substance likely to be seriously slashed in the next 20 years, the American economy is going to tank unless they change direction and policy, particularly foreign policy.
Their soft negotiating hand doesn't exist. It's the strongarm or nothing. It's just not making the gains of the other leading powers.
China is killing them all over the place and India are making great strides. Both are working with Iran in massive trade deals and the sanctions on Iran are little more than a gesture.
Russia is comfortable and going with the flow.
Britain is wallowing in the shallows of brexit Bay and the USA is in mega debt.
Funny how things change...

oil makes up less than even .1% of our GDP while in Russia it makes up 5.6%

our national debt isn't a problem

china is ****** in 20 years when their working class starts asking for rights and it's easy for india to make great strides when you were where they were... remember marginal returns to scale only decrease as you grow

look, i'm not exactly proud to be an american but to say that our economy is going to tank is ludicrous

Themole25, you have every right to be proud and American. You have a great country - from the California beaches and Rockies to Graceland and NYC.

It's just a shame that at the top of your politics, you have a lot of 'debris' shall we say.

Trump being elected to POTUS should set alarm bells ringing and the clamour for Centrism should be heard across the lands, but instead we are repeating the same old nonsense as before Brexit and the USA election if not with a few gears cranked up.

There is no talking/debate any more - it is Team 1 v Team 2 and your team must be the one to win, and you must not only win you must annihilate your opponent - kill him/her if necessary, throw acid or whatever.

I've been on the planet 32 years and I have not ever known it to be this bad - I've got friends and colleagues who have voted for all parties... Labour, Tories, Plaid, Liberals, UKIP, Greens and yes even one voted BNP once. I don't hate any of them, I respect their right to vote and to have their say - I have no right to police their thoughts, even if I totally disagree with them. Therefore, I cannot fathom why people go to war with others whom they disagree with. War and fighting only reinforces a person's thoughts and ideals - challenging them in debate and discussion might be a different tact. It used to work, after all.

Or is it all part of the plan, I wonder... divide and conquer people, split communities along race/religion/politics/financial lines etc. and then even split them in their own groups i.e. LGBTQ v Androphiles. At the same time, erode away more civil rights and liberties whilst the plebs are fighting either online or IRL.

Common Sense, where art thou?

Themole25, you have every right to be proud and American. You have a great country - from the California beaches and Rockies to Graceland and NYC.

It's just a shame that at the top of your politics, you have a lot of 'debris' shall we say.

Trump being elected to POTUS should set alarm bells ringing and the clamour for Centrism should be heard across the lands, but instead we are repeating the same old nonsense as before Brexit and the USA election if not with a few gears cranked up.

There is no talking/debate any more - it is Team 1 v Team 2 and your team must be the one to win, and you must not only win you must annihilate your opponent - kill him/her if necessary, throw acid or whatever.

I've been on the planet 32 years and I have not ever known it to be this bad - I've got friends and colleagues who have voted for all parties... Labour, Tories, Plaid, Liberals, UKIP, Greens and yes even one voted BNP once. I don't hate any of them, I respect their right to vote and to have their say - I have no right to police their thoughts, even if I totally disagree with them. Therefore, I cannot fathom why people go to war with others whom they disagree with. War and fighting only reinforces a person's thoughts and ideals - challenging them in debate and discussion might be a different tact. It used to work, after all.

Or is it all part of the plan, I wonder... divide and conquer people, split communities along race/religion/politics/financial lines etc. and then even split them in their own groups i.e. LGBTQ v Androphiles. At the same time, erode away more civil rights and liberties whilst the plebs are fighting either online or IRL.

Common Sense, where art thou?

I'd say part of what has led to this great divide is the easy of anonymous mass communication. It's no secret that people's online persona are quite different to how they are as a person, nearly every time more extreme, more aggressive and generally less agreeable all round. The protection of anonymity brings out those bad traits you would moderate in face to face conversation. This leads to people seeing the worst of the other side. On top of that are the echo chambers everyone goes into online and thus the lack of facing opposing arguments resulting in a strengthening of ones own convictions. End result, much more polarised society.

oil makes up less than even .1% of our GDP

How many trucks and cars are there in the USA?
How much hauling is done by rail, compared to the road?
How many businesses are locked up in road usage? Aviation usage?
How upset do the American people become when gas gets expensive (which is not very often)
Why is so much of the US Treasury's budget spent on maintaining the vast US 4th fleet in the Persian Gulf, or in 'Aid' packages where Israel is gifted US $4.75 billion in military hardware and $0.25 billion in cash, every year, then have a look at how much 'Aid' America 'bungs' to Egypt, , Algeria, Libya, Tunisia and Morocco to keep the mediterranean safe and open for super tankers to get a straight line to Houston.
The oil is locked in with the military, to a point, and it's geo-political hegemony, everywhere, but it's impact on the economy is critical, not marginal.
There is a plethora of non nuclear powered vehicles in the American armed forces. The vast majority of them need petro-chemical fuel to keep them operational.
Domestically...
Ever driven across America? Coast to coast?
I have, twice.
Everything is set up for petro-chemical consumption.
Ever been to a truckstop on I 95? In any state?
Ever flown in to LA during the daytime? You get to watch the seemingly endless processions of traffic jams on the highways and freeways.
Nothing happens in America without the petro chemical dollar being involved.
How many wealthy neighbourhoods do you have to drive around in America, because there are no sidewalks/footpaths?
I've worked i them, up close and personal.
Every city has at least a few. The car is a symbol of wealth, prosperity and success in America. If you have to walk you are deemed poor.
0.1%
Get a job with the Oompah Loompahs statistics dept.
Without oil the American economy runs dry in a matter of weeks. Not months. It is absolutely critically vital to the cogs of American society. On every level.

...our national debt isn't a problem

Oh really?
Do you know how much it is?
Do you know who holds most of it?
Are you aware of how small American manufacturing has become in the last 30 years?
You may as well say, "The nartional debt isn't a problem. The American economy is the strongest economy in the world, it is the fastest growing and we have excellent minds working on it right now, excellent brilliant minds. The best, ever. Beautiful minds."
Sound familiar?
Now lets drag the scenarrio back to reality.
Have a look at the UK model.
Everything used to be made here... once upon a time, and it was good too, now very little has the 'made in GB' logo.
It doesn't go well when manufacturing is heavily outsourced. The trade deficit also goes up and so does national debt.

china is ****** in 20 years when their working class starts asking for rights and it's easy for india to make great strides when you were where they were... remember marginal returns to scale only decrease as you grow

That much is evident judging by how tiny the growth margins are nowadays for America.
The Chinese economy was never going to be able to support 8% growth year on year, it was always going to have to slow but it is still growing.
Can that be said of the UK and the USA?

In 20 years China will be running over 50% of it's economy on renewable energy. Example. They own Volvo and they came out a few months ago and said that any new ranges or upgrades for existing ranges, will, from 2019, be either hybrids or completely electric.
The Chinese are not fools.
They will lead the vehicle market away from fossil fuels because it works for them.
It's a bonus that it works for humanity as well.
They know they are winning the trade war with America and dragging the market away from the petro-chemical dollar into renewables will seriously hurt the American economic hegemony.
The UK passed a law that by 2040 it will be illegal to sell a solely fossil fuel car in the UK.
Wow.
Great going T-May.
Where will the gas guzzling American economy be in 20 years?
Hmmm...?
You're so sure that China will fall over in 20 years, (thats what they were saying about China 20 years ago too...) what does your crystal ball tell you about your own country in 20 years?
Or even 12 years?
Think about all those brown fields in the midwest and huge areas of the southern states landscape, they have the potential to be a gold mine in solar energy.
There just needs to be a political will.

look, i'm not exactly proud to be an american but to say that our economy is going to tank is ludicrous

It's not about being proud.
It's not about being from a country.
It's not about good or evil.
This is not a personal attack against you or an attack against America.
It's economics.
Ludicrous huh?
Your economy is tanking.
You just can't see it.
Have a look at the rise in food banks, the rise in unemployed (yes I mean those waste of paper zero hour contracts too) have a look at levels of homelessness. For a decade journalists and historians in America have been going back to the 'Great Depression' to find numbers that match up.
The far right are finding a voice in American society, they are also finding some sympathetic ears.
It's not hanging off a cliff edge but it is a problem thats developing, not lessening. It's happening by degrees and it's not improving.
It's like the tide is turning and we are watching it happen.
America need sa drastic change in governmental policy and it needs to be one that brings the multi-nationals and the 'hawks back into the mainstream instead of sitting on top of the nest feeding themselves and forgetting the rest.

Russia, India, Iran and China have formed their own trade bloc.
Thats why US sanctions don't mean diddly squat to them.
All three of those big players are all investing heavily with Iran.
China's invesment with Africa has blown the American investment with Africa completely out of the water.
Americs does less than US $100 billion in trade with the African continent each year.
China has flown passed the $200 billion in trade with the African continent and is on its way to being three times the sales total that America possesses.
They don't need to subscribe to the bully boy tactics that have been successful to a point for American oil companies in previous decades.
They build infrastructure for the local area (of course they are busy raping the local mineral wealth in the process) so when they leave (usually after a ten year lease agreement) the locals suddenly find they are no longer in the third world. (and that mountain of bauxite is now a plain)
They have roads, an airport, sewage works, water capture and refinement, admistrative buildings, schools, hospitals etc. (Almost all of it built by flown in Chinese workers)
The American model has been to supply the local chief with the funds and firepower necessary to subjugate his people so the foreign power can extract the oil etc. This is a modification on an earlier British model.
When the Americans leave there is no infrastructure, just a tyrant who has no interest in democracy.
America needs to change it's trading model but it seems very uninterested in doing so...

How many trucks and cars are there in the USA?
How much hauling is done by rail, compared to the road?
How many businesses are locked up in road usage? Aviation usage?
How upset do the American people become when gas gets expensive (which is not very often)
Why is so much of the US Treasury's budget spent on maintaining the vast US 4th fleet in the Persian Gulf, or in 'Aid' packages where Israel is gifted US $4.75 billion in military hardware and $0.25 billion in cash, every year, then have a look at how much 'Aid' America 'bungs' to Egypt, , Algeria, Libya, Tunisia and Morocco to keep the mediterranean safe and open for super tankers to get a straight line to Houston.
The oil is locked in with the military, to a point, and it's geo-political hegemony, everywhere, but it's impact on the economy is critical, not marginal.
There is a plethora of non nuclear powered vehicles in the American armed forces. The vast majority of them need petro-chemical fuel to keep them operational.
Domestically...
Ever driven across America? Coast to coast?
I have, twice.
Everything is set up for petro-chemical consumption.
Ever been to a truckstop on I 95? In any state?
Ever flown in to LA during the daytime? You get to watch the seemingly endless processions of traffic jams on the highways and freeways.
Nothing happens in America without the petro chemical dollar being involved.
How many wealthy neighbourhoods do you have to drive around in America, because there are no sidewalks/footpaths?
I've worked i them, up close and personal.
Every city has at least a few. The car is a symbol of wealth, prosperity and success in America. If you have to walk you are deemed poor.
0.1%
Get a job with the Oompah Loompahs statistics dept.
Without oil the American economy runs dry in a matter of weeks. Not months. It is absolutely critically vital to the cogs of American society. On every level.

Oh really?
Do you know how much it is?
Do you know who holds most of it?
Are you aware of how small American manufacturing has become in the last 30 years?
You may as well say, "The nartional debt isn't a problem. The American economy is the strongest economy in the world, it is the fastest growing and we have excellent minds working on it right now, excellent brilliant minds. The best, ever. Beautiful minds."
Sound familiar?
Now lets drag the scenarrio back to reality.
Have a look at the UK model.
Everything used to be made here... once upon a time, and it was good too, now very little has the 'made in GB' logo.
It doesn't go well when manufacturing is heavily outsourced. The trade deficit also goes up and so does national debt.

That much is evident judging by how tiny the growth margins are nowadays for America.
The Chinese economy was never going to be able to support 8% growth year on year, it was always going to have to slow but it is still growing.
Can that be said of the UK and the USA?

In 20 years China will be running over 50% of it's economy on renewable energy. Example. They own Volvo and they came out a few months ago and said that any new ranges or upgrades for existing ranges, will, from 2019, be either hybrids or completely electric.
The Chinese are not fools.
They will lead the vehicle market away from fossil fuels because it works for them.
It's a bonus that it works for humanity as well.
They know they are winning the trade war with America and dragging the market away from the petro-chemical dollar into renewables will seriously hurt the American economic hegemony.
The UK passed a law that by 2040 it will be illegal to sell a solely fossil fuel car in the UK.
Wow.
Great going T-May.
Where will the gas guzzling American economy be in 20 years?
Hmmm...?
You're so sure that China will fall over in 20 years, (thats what they were saying about China 20 years ago too...) what does your crystal ball tell you about your own country in 20 years?
Or even 12 years?
Think about all those brown fields in the midwest and huge areas of the southern states landscape, they have the potential to be a gold mine in solar energy.
There just needs to be a political will.

It's not about being proud.
It's not about being from a country.
It's not about good or evil.
This is not a personal attack against you or an attack against America.
It's economics.
Ludicrous huh?
Your economy is tanking.
You just can't see it.
Have a look at the rise in food banks, the rise in unemployed (yes I mean those waste of paper zero hour contracts too) have a look at levels of homelessness. For a decade journalists and historians in America have been going back to the 'Great Depression' to find numbers that match up.
The far right are finding a voice in American society, they are also finding some sympathetic ears.
It's not hanging off a cliff edge but it is a problem thats developing, not lessening. It's happening by degrees and it's not improving.
It's like the tide is turning and we are watching it happen.
America need sa drastic change in governmental policy and it needs to be one that brings the multi-nationals and the 'hawks back into the mainstream instead of sitting on top of the nest feeding themselves and forgetting the rest.

Russia, India, Iran and China have formed their own trade bloc.
Thats why US sanctions don't mean diddly squat to them.
All three of those big players are all investing heavily with Iran.
China's invesment with Africa has blown the American investment with Africa completely out of the water.
Americs does less than US $100 billion in trade with the African continent each year.
China has flown passed the $200 billion in trade with the African continent and is on its way to being three times the sales total that America possesses.
They don't need to subscribe to the bully boy tactics that have been successful to a point for American oil companies in previous decades.
They build infrastructure for the local area (of course they are busy raping the local mineral wealth in the process) so when they leave (usually after a ten year lease agreement) the locals suddenly find they are no longer in the third world. (and that mountain of bauxite is now a plain)
They have roads, an airport, sewage works, water capture and refinement, admistrative buildings, schools, hospitals etc. (Almost all of it built by flown in Chinese workers)
The American model has been to supply the local chief with the funds and firepower necessary to subjugate his people so the foreign power can extract the oil etc. This is a modification on an earlier British model.
When the Americans leave there is no infrastructure, just a tyrant who has no interest in democracy.
America needs to change it's trading model but it seems very uninterested in doing so...

The .1% comes from world bank and the idea of "national debt not being a problem" is one widely held by economists, but sure I'm just blindly following trump on those.

A lot of your assumptions are based on holding the US where it is now while allowing other countries will continue to grow.

Of course the US and UK have stopped growing at significant rates, at some point you run out of new inputs. The same exact thing will happen in every economy that becomes that large.

Is the US economy built on a bubble of old infrastructure and using sword over dollar? Yes. Do I think that bubble will burst? No. I think trump is gone in 2.5 years and we will elect someone knows that renewable energy is the more economical future.

You sound like someone who read the first chapter of their econ 101 and is ready to tell the whole world how things really are.

The .1% comes from world bank and the idea of "national debt not being a problem" is one widely held by economists...

Not by the smart ones. ;-)

A lot of your assumptions are based on holding the US where it is now while allowing other countries will continue to grow.

Growth has been an issue in the USA economy for some time now, are you seeing that changing?

Is the US economy built on a bubble of old infrastructure and using sword over dollar? Yes. Do I think that bubble will burst? No.

Of course you don't, you live inside the bubble. Thats only to be expected.
Never expect a Roman to doubt Rome.

I think trump is gone in 2.5 years and we will elect someone knows that renewable energy is the more economical future.

I sincerely hope you're right on that one.
It would be a sea change to see the USA leading from the front in renewables.
At this point I can see Hilary working toward her nomination for the democrats yet again. Is that the likely outcome for the USA, more of the old petro-chemical boom and bust that will drag the USA further behind the leading economies.

You sound like someone who read the first chapter of their econ 101 and is ready to tell the whole world how things really are.

Maybe thats because thats the level of audience I encounter here... ;-)

It's sad how alot of Trump supporters like to parade the military and use them as an excuse bash the "left" and this recent kneeling "epidemic", despite more and more current servicemen and women are increasingly against Trump.

It's sad how alot of Trump supporters like to parade the military and use them as an excuse bash the "left" and this recent kneeling "epidemic", despite more and more current servicemen and women are increasingly against Trump.
The West Wing said:
You know the difference? Republicans want a huge military but they don't want to send it anywhere. The Democrats wants a small military and they want to send it everywhere.
The idea the left or liberals don't believe or respect the military is a falsehood. They just have a different view to how and when it should be used.

Unless your Corbyn....

The idea the left or liberals don't believe or respect the military is a falsehood. They just have a different view to how and when it should be used.

Unless your Corbyn....

Yes Blair always wanted it winning nice victory's for his profile but his mate Brown never wanted to fund it properly. So Kosovo was a nice quick win but once the forces got involved in more protracted conflicts the holes began to show particularly in vehicles, personal equipment and rehab for injured service men and woman.

Cameron just continued to hash it but had begun to understand the need to support veterans. Not because him or Osborne actually gave a toss they just knew the weight of public opinion had changed in regards wounded servicemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts