• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
God I wish he would trip over his laces and faceplant a cactus.
I wish he'd follow through on his promise to singlehandedly storm a school in the midst or a shooting - unarmed.
About the only promise he's made in office that I politically agree with him on

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...tical-party-break-mould-westminster-uk-brexit

Interesting. Still history doesn't bode well for another new party in British politics.
Yes but look what happened in France...

I would be up for it, i am normally a tory voter but i dont like the way the Alt right is conduting itself and as a father of 3 I am concerned with school funding and the tories cuts.

Never vote Labour while JC and Momentum are goose stepping over everything.

Lib dems want to ban things I like doing.

New centre party sounds good to me.

Yes but look what happened in France...

I would be up for it, i am normally a tory voter but i dont like the way the Alt right is conduting itself and as a father of 3 I am concerned with school funding and the tories cuts.

Never vote Labour while JC and Momentum are goose stepping over everything.

I agree with your sentiment. But the FPTP system just doesn't lend itself to new parties like this and I see this as it's biggest hurdle in establishing itself. Look at UKIP and how many seats it got and that was a defected Tory. France, as I understand it, at least have PR. Having said that I will be interested in how things develop. Never, say never, but this new party will face a huge task to establish itself in UK politics.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...cks-for-new-party-will-anybody-dare-open-door

FYI interesting opinion from Andrew Rawnsley.

Last edited:

Ban what exactly? Because aim unaware of a specific policy even your shotgun shooting banning isn't a policy of ours.

And more importantly ban what a new center party would be pro?

The 'new' center party is a fallacy and mainly designed by the media so they don't have to big up the Lib Dems as the only party actually offering a way out of Brexit. Most moderate Tories and Labour voters have more in common with us than those parties.

Good summary of WTF is happening in Syria ATM and why.

I think our whole political system needs a shake up. FPTP is an outdated system that doesn't deliver what it is supposed to, a representative for the constituents in the Commons. MPs will raise concerns of their constituents when it is safe but the second it means going against their party, they won't go out of line. The Lords doesn't really offer much of a check on the government and the current 2 party system just breed antagonistic politics, you don't have to offer anything positive as long as you can throw enough mud at the other party.

I think our whole political system needs a shake up. FPTP is an outdated system that doesn't deliver what it is supposed to, a representative for the constituents in the Commons. MPs will raise concerns of their constituents when it is safe but the second it means going against their party, they won't go out of line. The Lords doesn't really offer much of a check on the government and the current 2 party system just breed antagonistic politics, you don't have to offer anything positive as long as you can throw enough mud at the other party.

That ship sailed back in 2011 didn't it? A chance to vote in a form of PR soundly rejected and Clegg threw his toys out of the pram.

That ship sailed back in 2011 didn't it? A chance to vote in a form of PR soundly rejected and Clegg threw his toys out of the pram.

Not entirely, the referendum should have been broader on whether the system should be changed or not. It instead was a referendum on changing to a specific system, one which would not have satisfied most who wanted a PR system. The end result is a lot of people who wanted change (myself included) voted against it because the system proposed in the referendum was just FPTP with minor changes, which wasn't a system I wanted. Had we voted for it, little would have changed and the politicians would have used the vote to claim the issue was settled. It was purposely set up by the Conservative government to be a lose-lose for those who wanted a true PR system. Either vote against it, and they claim that proves the people don't want to change the system, or vote for it and it is changed but to one that isn't PR either.

Not entirely, the referendum should have been broader on whether the system should be changed or not. It instead was a referendum on changing to a specific system, one which would not have satisfied most who wanted a PR system. The end result is a lot of people who wanted change (myself included) voted against it because the system proposed in the referendum was just FPTP with minor changes, which wasn't a system I wanted. Had we voted for it, little would have changed and the politicians would have used the vote to claim the issue was settled. It was purposely set up by the Conservative government to be a lose-lose for those who wanted a true PR system. Either vote against it, and they claim that proves the people don't want to change the system, or vote for it and it is changed but to one that isn't PR either.

Agreed with this. The system proposed was not a good system. For me the biggest issue still is how can you have proportional representation and still have MP's representing an individual constituency. As a very basic example if you had 2 constituencies voting. First one votes 51% Con and 49% Lib Dem. Second votes 51% Lab and 49% Lib Dem. Overall Lib dem's get 49% of the vote and Conservatives and Labour each get 25.5%. However which constituency do you pick to have the Lib Dem candidate and which constituency gets to keep the one that got the majority vote?

For me personally I would see house of commons still being FPTP, but a reformed house of lords being proportionally represented with a new name. However this then leads to questions such as how are candidates picked for reformed house of lords as people couldn't vote for individuals, but would likely involved parties listing candidates in order of preference. So for example Lib Dem's get 23 seats, their top 23 picks are chosen. Is this democratic enough and could it lead to corruption and buying nominations for example? Also how much power would reformed house of lords have? Would they still just be a body to question legislation without affecting massive change or could they be more involved, but end up tying the governments hands too much if there was not a clear majority?

Yes, but only the Lib Dems and the smaller parties want PR. The current system benefits the Tories and Labour. 2011 was a chance to at least get some change, albeit small, going to the voting system. The chance was there when the Lib Dems were in Coalition.

Even the 2011 form of PR was a compromise version. It was the best that was going to be put on the table and had it at least been accepted it would have been the first step towards a better version of PR later down the line. Now it is lost for a long time with Brexit taking priority and can't see Lib Dems ever getting back in Coalition.

Last edited:
Yes, but only the Lib Dems and the smaller parties want PR. The current system benefits the Tories and Labour. 2011 was a chance to at least get some change, albeit small, going to the voting system. The chance was there when the Lib Dems were in Coalition.

Even the 2011 form of PR was a compromise version. It was the best that was going to be put on the table and had it at least been accepted it would have been the first step towards a better version of PR later down the line. Now it is lost for a long time with Brexit taking priority and can't see Lib Dems ever getting back in Coalition.

Sorry but 2011 wasn't the chance to get things wrong, it was set up purposely to keep the current system whilst giving the illusion of change. At no point was a PR system put forward, it was a choice between FPTP and FPTP with just the requirement to get 50% of the vote in the constituency. Such a system does very little to address the problems with our outdated political system. As I mentioned, it was done so either outcome would result in no PR system. Win and then governments make the small changes and then say "well you had your vote on change, we changed, we don't want constant referendums on changing the political system". Vote against it, same answer but at least then the argument can still be made that change is wanted but not as proposed.

The whole point is we shouldn't be forced to choose between 2 forms of FPTP when the main call was for a complete change.

Personally I would want a system like this:

Commons - Elected through a dual constituency system. Constituencies made larger but have 2 MPs (similar to senators per state in the USA). The reasoning is that in swing seats you will likely have each MP from different parties. This means it is unlikely you will get a situation where an MP doesn't represent their constituents because they don't want to stand out against their party, the other MP who is not part of the party will still raise the concerns. In safe seats it won't make much difference. The election of MPs will be staggered with each being in Commons for 8 years but elections every 4 years. The idea is that this house will be the one to keep a sense of continuity and allow longer term relations between constituents and their MPs.

Lords - PR based on national vote with seats allocated to try to reflect the % of the total vote. A minimum cut off equal to the number of votes required to get 1 seat shall be applied (so any party that does not get enough votes to merit 1 seat will be rounded down to 0. 1/4 of the seats up for grabs every 2 years so each member will have their seat for 8 years minimum.

It seems quite complex but the hope is that staggering how seats are allocated would make it more difficult for a single party to just sweep into power with 1 election, they would need a prolonged period of support. The PR Lords would allow minor parties to have greater representation and would also allow for a greater check on the Prime Minister and Commons. Also due to the fact neither House is completely changed in an election, it should allow a PM to stay in power for a similar amount of time, despite the more frequent elections. People may also feel that every 2 years is too frequent to be voting and may lead to apathy but I feel having a regular chance to give feedback to how the country is being run is better than having a government get into power and basically being unaccountable to the electorate for the next 5 years.

Problem with that is like most things in politics is education. It is amazing how many people vote whilst knowing almost nothing about how the system works or what they are actually voting for. I know university students who in their first election didn't realise they were electing their local MP and thought they would see the leaders names on the ballot. Before changing the system people need educating, but the education system doesn't do it and people often just listen to their friends and family with many people passing on wrong information.

Ah the AV vote or how to stop political reform by the Tory party.

What people forget is that what was supposed to follow was a fully elected house of Lords based on PR (its there in the original coalition agreement).

Sadly because the two main parties managed convince people FPTP is better or not that much different (it would of likely meant an end to majority goverments) because it massively benefitted the main parties. Sadly its stopped all discussion of any political reform ever and gave the Tories ample excuse to go back on their promise for Lords reform.

That reality is a yay vote would of been the first stepping stone in getting proper political reform and everyone who voted against it because it didn't go far enough are equally culpable for stopping any discussion in improving it.

Incidentally Rangeranchers post is exactly the system I want MP's for local constiuetcies at commons Level through AV or STV and then a PR based House of Lords.

Sorry but 2011 wasn't the chance to get things wrong, it was set up purposely to keep the current system whilst giving the illusion of change. At no point was a PR system put forward, it was a choice between FPTP and FPTP with just the requirement to get 50% of the vote in the constituency. Such a system does very little to address the problems with our outdated political system. As I mentioned, it was done so either outcome would result in no PR system. Win and then governments make the small changes and then say "well you had your vote on change, we changed, we don't want constant referendums on changing the political system". Vote against it, same answer but at least then the argument can still be made that change is wanted but not as proposed.

The whole point is we shouldn't be forced to choose between 2 forms of FPTP when the main call was for a complete change.

Personally I would want a system like this:

Commons - Elected through a dual constituency system. Constituencies made larger but have 2 MPs (similar to senators per state in the USA). The reasoning is that in swing seats you will likely have each MP from different parties. This means it is unlikely you will get a situation where an MP doesn't represent their constituents because they don't want to stand out against their party, the other MP who is not part of the party will still raise the concerns. In safe seats it won't make much difference. The election of MPs will be staggered with each being in Commons for 8 years but elections every 4 years. The idea is that this house will be the one to keep a sense of continuity and allow longer term relations between constituents and their MPs.

Lords - PR based on national vote with seats allocated to try to reflect the % of the total vote. A minimum cut off equal to the number of votes required to get 1 seat shall be applied (so any party that does not get enough votes to merit 1 seat will be rounded down to 0. 1/4 of the seats up for grabs every 2 years so each member will have their seat for 8 years minimum.

It seems quite complex but the hope is that staggering how seats are allocated would make it more difficult for a single party to just sweep into power with 1 election, they would need a prolonged period of support. The PR Lords would allow minor parties to have greater representation and would also allow for a greater check on the Prime Minister and Commons. Also due to the fact neither House is completely changed in an election, it should allow a PM to stay in power for a similar amount of time, despite the more frequent elections. People may also feel that every 2 years is too frequent to be voting and may lead to apathy but I feel having a regular chance to give feedback to how the country is being run is better than having a government get into power and basically being unaccountable to the electorate for the next 5 years.

Rage little has changed since i studied A-level politics and Constiututional law at University, which was a long time ago. Essays on how we can change our voting system and reform the House of Lords. It seems so idealistic looking back now and I see how fallacious it all was.

I was referring in my posts to the practical reality of completely changing our voting system. Yes, unfortunately, 2011 referendum was set up to fail, but if that could not get through then I think there is little hope of getting anything stronger form of PR geting through in the future within our current system of Government. We shouldn't be forced to choose between what were two bad choices, but that is our current reality - there was a small window to change it and Nick Clegg knew it.

The crux of the problem, as I see it, is that we have an executive dominated House of Commons. As long as we lack separation of powers, where the executive branch is not firmly entrenched in the legislature, then there is no incentive for any incumbent Government to change from FPTP for the House of Commons, as their whole raison d'etre is to seek a majority and push through their legislative programme. No British Government wants to share power and the easiest way to form a majority is via FPTP. PR just increases the chance of Coalitions and minority Governments and even more so. What we have seen since 2010 is very unusual for FPTP. Boundary changes in future are going to favour the Tories as I understand it.

As for The House of Lords, talk of completely overhauling it has been argued for so long. Yes, we've had abolition of hereditary peers, which is the biggest change in our life time, but turning it into a wholly elected chamber is not being realistic. Its current role is not as True revising chamber, as it should be, but make the Government "think again" chamber with little power other than to delay legislation up to a year and no power to delay financial legislation. Why would any current or future British Government set up a revising upper chamber which has greater legitimacy and powers to slow down or block their legislative programme? Moreover, the Rest of the House of Commons would also not seek an Upper House which challenges it's own position. This means a watered down reformed Lords which is part elected and mostly still appointed and its role kept firmly as it is at present.

To invoke complete change in our voting system it would mean abolishing Parliament (take out the executive branch of government out of the House of Commons) and have truly separate branches of Government because it isn't going to happen as long as things stand with an executive entrenched firmly in the House of Commons.

Last edited:
Problem with that is like most things in politics is education. It is amazing how many people vote whilst knowing almost nothing about how the system works or what they are actually voting for. I know university students who in their first election didn't realise they were electing their local MP and thought they would see the leaders names on the ballot. Before changing the system people need educating, but the education system doesn't do it and people often just listen to their friends and family with many people passing on wrong information.

Not sure I agree, I think in a way the simplicity of FPTP has been detrimental to educating people about it, because it is not deemed to be something that needs explaining. You go out, you vote and at the end of it the party with the most seats gets the chance to form a government with the leader of the party becoming PM. The fact this is all a byproduct of you choosing your local MP gets lost as really people look at the national impact. I feel with the more complex system where not every election is for the same thing, it will make it necessary for people to explain it.

Also Blindside, I know how difficult it is to change the system because no government wants to do away with what got them into power, although it's a weird view as it also makes it easier for the other guy to get into power. The only way it will change is if enough people demand it, which will not happen. I propose what I think will be the best but am under no illusion that it's extremely unlikely to happen.

Not sure I agree, I think in a way the simplicity of FPTP has been detrimental to educating people about it, because it is not deemed to be something that needs explaining. You go out, you vote and at the end of it the party with the most seats gets the chance to form a government with the leader of the party becoming PM. The fact this is all a byproduct of you choosing your local MP gets lost as really people look at the national impact. I feel with the more complex system where not every election is for the same thing, it will make it necessary for people to explain it.

Also Blindside, I know how difficult it is to change the system because no government wants to do away with what got them into power, although it's a weird view as it also makes it easier for the other guy to get into power. The only way it will change is if enough people demand it, which will not happen. I propose what I think will be the best but am under no illusion that it's extremely unlikely to happen.

I can understand your point and I agree that PR would mean people would need to learn more about each parties policies. My issue is people's knowledge of the system itself. Even now people can't understand how Parliament could technically vote to stay in the Europe Union. It's unlikely as hell, but they do have that power as our representatives if given the choice. Too many people don't understand how our simple political system works, let alone a more complex one.

I can understand your point and I agree that PR would mean people would need to learn more about each parties policies. My issue is people's knowledge of the system itself. Even now people can't understand how Parliament could technically vote to stay in the Europe Union. It's unlikely as hell, but they do have that power as our representatives if given the choice. Too many people don't understand how our simple political system works, let alone a more complex one.

Well I'm an advocate of a Civics lesson in schools, possibly replacing PSHE because, if that's still anything like it was when I was at school, it's useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts