• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Errr... It's widely acknowledged.
He's been borrowing and spending money with an eye on a GE, he's meeting and greeting and kissing babies with an eye on a GE.
He's called for a General Election with an eye on a GE.
He's launching attacks on the leader of the opposition, with an eye on a GE.

The fact that he's after an election with all these spending commitments etc. has been mentioned plenty but I can't recall that many calling out the fact that he's actually started unofficially campaigning already, even though it's pretty obvious.
It was only a few days ago that he stood outside No.10 and claimed 'I don't want an election' which was one of his many lies.

The police chief in charge if those officers who stood behind Johnson have said they photo op was agreed under false pretences. He claimed Johnson wanted to make a speech about increasing police numbers, not for a political speech.

Bercow to step down at next GE or 31.10 if sooner.

He oversteps the mark at times, but one of my guilty secrets is that I do actually find him quite entertaining.

Bercow to step down at next GE or 31.10 if sooner.

He oversteps the mark at times, but one of my guilty secrets is that I do actually find him quite entertaining.
I think he's been dangerously close a few times but never quite overstepped, the recent 'tie' shows that.

I think its a good move, post election he'd struggle against a Con/TBP majority and might be ousted (Cons already saying they'd even stand a candidate). All other scenario's result in no-deal parliament putting a moderate in.

Should Bercow has been great at standing up for parliamentary sovereignty and not allowing the government to ride roughshod over it. I worry a speaker put in place by this government won't do that.

Apparently his announcement was treated by a standing ovation from all but rabid Tories.

Anyone know the odds on who'd succeed?
Assuming Halloween comes first, one of the ex-tories might be a decent option.
Speaker Stewart?
What are the norms and rules for the appointment? I've never paid much attention to speaker nom.s before.

Apparently his announcement was treated by a standing ovation from all but rabid Tories.

Anyone know the odds on who'd succeed?
Assuming Halloween comes first, one of the ex-tories might be a decent option.
Speaker Stewart?
What are the norms and rules for the appointment? I've never paid much attention to speaker nom.s before.
I think they whittle it down until someone wins over 50% of the vote. As such traditionally its the goverment of the times apppointee. Bercow was already controversial because he got a lot of Labour votes.

Harman is the only name I've seen so far.

So the Lords, rather than filibustering (as Brexiteers claimed/wished for) actually fast tracked through the no No Deal bill and it's officially a law now.

Politics has gone mental, BoJo trying to break up parliament this afternoon rather than Thursday, avoiding the inquiry into him on Wednesday.

So far we're up to 37 MPs not seeking re-election in the yet to be announced GE.

Very interesting that it's a Tory who is trying to get Bojo et al to release all communication about suspending parliament.
Definitely knows there's something damaging in the reams of emails etc

Very interesting that it's a Tory who is trying to get Bojo et al to release all communication about suspending parliament.
Definitely knows there's something damaging in the reams of emails etc

Grieve either knows there's something there or it's the mother of all fishing trips.

The motion is just astonishing....

That a humble address be presented to Her Majesty, that she will be graciously pleased to direct ministers to lay before this House, not later than 11.00pm Wednesday 11 September, all correspondence and other communications (whether formal or informal, in both written and electronic form, including but not limited to messaging services including WhatsApp, Telegram, Signal, Facebook messenger, private email accounts both encrypted and unencrypted, text messaging and iMessage and the use of both official and personal mobile phones) to, from or within the present administration, since 23 July 2019 relating to the prorogation of Parliament sent or received by one or more of the following individuals: Hugh Bennett, Simon Burton, Dominic Cummings, Nikki da Costa, Tom Irven, Sir Roy Stone, Christopher James, Lee Cain or Beatrice Timpson; and that ministers be further directed to lay before this House no later than 11.00pm Wednesday 11 September all the documents prepared within Her Majesty's government since 23 July 2019 relating to operation Yellowhammer and submitted to the cabinet or a cabinet committee.

I think they whittle it down until someone wins over 50% of the vote. As such traditionally its the goverment of the times apppointee. Bercow was already controversial because he got a lot of Labour votes.

Harman is the only name I've seen so far.
It looks like by tradition it rotates between the two major parties, so since Bercow was a Tory before becoming Speaker, that would mean the successor would come from Labour. However this tradition was broken recently in that both of Bercow's immediate predecessors were Labour.

Also, I think if you've ever been a Cabinet minister you're not supposed to run, but again that is a tradition and not a rule. The actual rules, taken from Wikipedia, are:
Under the new system, candidates must be nominated by at least twelve members, of whom at least three must be of a different party from the candidate. Each member may nominate no more than one candidate. The House then votes by secret ballot; an absolute majority (i.e. more than 50% of the votes cast) is required for victory. If no candidate wins a majority, then the individual with the fewest votes is eliminated, as are any other candidates who receive less than 5% of the votes cast. The House continues to vote, for several rounds if necessary, until one member receives the requisite majority. Then, the House votes on a formal motion to appoint the member in question to the Speakership. (In the unlikely event that this motion fails, the House must hold a fresh series of ballots on all of the nominees.)
As far as I can tell, Lindsay Boyle (deputy speaker) is the only hat officially in the ring (dunno if he has enough nominations). Yes, Harman also mentioned, just not by herself.

Have I got my head around Corbyn's motion? Are we really having a debate in parliament about whether MPs should obey the law of the land?
Surely I've misunderstood something. For the love of all the gods, surely things haven't got THAt bad - despite "dead in a ditch" rhetoric.

Last edited:
Watching BBC Parliament now. Dominic Raab closing the debate and has to be the most dull speaker ever. Absolutely dull as dishwater. Maybe he should be renamed Drab or Draab. How he became Foreign Secretary is beyond me.

(Sn)Arlene Foster going to see BoJo tonight, which to me suggests the DUP are scared that there is some serious push for a Northern Ireland only backstop within BoJo's ranks.

I'd love a NI only backstop. It'd be perfect for the country.

As a way of breaking the deadlock maybe we should just give the Queen the deciding vote between delivering Brexit and preserving the Union.

Apparently a white house official threatened to fire senior officials at the us weather department of they did not retract their report contradicting trump that the hurricane would hit Alabama.

Seriously Americans, what the **** will it take for you to vote these shits out of office!? Anyone going to support falsifying a hurricane report just to protect the president's ******* fragile ego!? This is insane! How the **** can such a large segment of the populace not see it!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts