• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man this is shaping up to be the best week in politics for years.

Anyone see the footage of his first 'campaign' trip.

Jo Johnson really looks like Boris would look like if Bojo lost about 5 stone.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49598118

"Boris Johnson has said he would "rather be dead in a ditch" than ask the EU to delay Brexit beyond 31 October."

Because that's going to give his opponents faith that he'd abide by the law when the current bill passes!

After that, no way can labour or the SNP accept a GE before the summit. They'll need to see the extension request put in, not be vetoed, and if accepted, ratified by ourselves before they can risk that.

If BJ refuses, then he's breaking the law, and that seems reasonabky straight forward; which leaves him resigning as his only viable option if they don't take the election bait.
Who takes over then? Leadsom? Or a new vote of the 160,000? Or are we into GNU territory?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49598118

"Boris Johnson has said he would "rather be dead in a ditch" than ask the EU to delay Brexit beyond 31 October."

Because that's going to give his opponents faith that he'd abide by the law when the current bill passes!

After that, no way can labour or the SNP accept a GE before the summit. They'll need to see the extension request put in, not be vetoed, and if accepted, ratified by ourselves before they can risk that.

If BJ refuses, then he's breaking the law, and that seems reasonabky straight forward; which leaves him resigning as his only viable option if they don't take the election bait.
Who takes over then? Leadsom? Or a new vote of the 160,000? Or are we into GNU territory?

Sounds like a Trump like soundbite to appeal to his Brexiteer base. Expect more Brexit martyr comments as we near a GE.

God help us if Leadsom became PM.

Fascinating documentary on China on bbc 2 at the moment.

Amazing how BoJo is calling Corbyn a chicken and yet he himself chickened out of Tory party leadership TV debates only a few weeks ago. The hypocrisy is mind boggling.

Ok assuming this isn't one of the biggest wind ups of Trumps presidency, apparently he edited a map of the course of hurricane Dorian with a sharpie to avoid having to admit he was wrong...

I mean for **** sake, this has GOT to be a joke article hasn't it? Please?

Amazing how BoJo is calling Corbyn a chicken and yet he himself chickened out of Tory party leadership TV debates only a few weeks ago. The hypocrisy is mind boggling.

Really? I'm so used to it i barely notice anymore. He wrote an article when Gordon Brown took over about how Brown had no mandate and should immediately call and election and then claimed he had a mandate when he took over in the same way. However most politicians are hypocrites, they will say or do whatever they can to win.

Really? I'm so used to it i barely notice anymore. He wrote an article when Gordon Brown took over about how Brown had no mandate and should immediately call and election and then claimed he had a mandate when he took over in the same way. However most politicians are hypocrites, they will say or do whatever they can to win.
And is calling for an election...

But doing so to avoid legislation he doesn't like, not because he doesn't think he has a mandate
Dont disagree but he is asking for an election.

Also did anyone see QT last night? If Labour want to get back into power they should really stick some gaffer tape over Emily Thornberry's mouth.

"I don't want an election"
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politic...om/news/uk&link_location=live-reporting-story
"I mean sure, we are happy to not have one"

Simple fact is that election only suits Johnson at the moment. Right now he can claim that if people vote for him and give him a majority he will ensure Britain leaves by 31st October. However, if he fails and the delay becomes law then he's seen as the weak Prime Minister who failed and people who might have voted conservatives to leave the E.U will go to the Brexit party. This will split the conservative vote and weaken them immensely.

On the other side though, I don't see what Labour can do to get the remain vote. While they say the would offer another referendum I think their default position is to leave with a deal and at this stage very few people actually want a half in/half out deal. People have gone to the extremes and either want out completely or revoke. Therefore you're likely to get a split between Labour and Lib Dems. Neither side will win comfortably and it will leave a hung parliament.

Dont disagree but he is asking for an election.

Also did anyone see QT last night? If Labour want to get back into power they should really stick some gaffer tape over Emily Thornberry's mouth.

Thornberry is a thoroughly detestable individual. She is so condescending and rude, constantly talking down to people and interrupting. When the last elections were on and she was with 2 other guests on TV, she was given time to speak and then would proceed to talk over the others the second they started answering. Really wish the host had told her she had had her turn now shut up and let the others speak.

Thornberry is a thoroughly detestable individual. She is so condescending and rude, constantly talking down to people and interrupting. When the last elections were on and she was with 2 other guests on TV, she was given time to speak and then would proceed to talk over the others the second they started answering. Really wish the host had told her she had had her turn now shut up and let the others speak.
For Referenda in Ireland every broadcaster of a debate is constitutionally bound to do this because each side of the debate must be granted equal time and it spills over into most general debates too. It's one of my favourite aspects of our Constitution because it stops debates from turning into absolute shite shows, or at least limits the potential damage done by those whose sole tactic is to disrupt others as much as is possibly.

I must say I have noticed you get a lot more boorish and bully characters in your own debates (moreso in NI too) and the hosts often have less control than what I'm used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts