• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again for what must be umpteenth time the commission is appointed by democratically elected governments. How is that not democratic?

As for Turkey if you read the link I posted they first applied to joining the EU back when the EU was still called the EEC. It's barely any closer now than it was then. So how exactly are the going to imminently joint when all EU nations need to join and they've made none criteria anyone else had to? Ah yes the fantasy land of leave where we're all sunshine and rainbows when it goes back to the good old days that never existed!

I will leave others to judge what is and what is not democratic and history to prove who is and is not right about Turkey's accession.

What cannot be denied is that 70 million Turks now have the right to free movement in Europe,including, but not limited to, the UK.

Again for what must be umpteenth time the commission is appointed by democratically elected governments. How is that not democratic?

As for Turkey if you read the link I posted they first applied to joining the EU back when the EU was still called the EEC. It's barely any closer now than it was then. So how exactly are the going to imminently joint when all EU nations need to join and they've made none criteria anyone else had to? Ah yes the fantasy land of leave where we're all sunshine and rainbows when it goes back to the good old days that never existed!
It's as if everyone in this country has forgotten about the Cyprus conflict.

Turkey still (illegally) controls Northern Cyprus and has for 30+ years. The Turkish army still occupies it. Pretty much every other country recognises Northern Cyprus as part of the Republic of Cyprus. Unless there are some remarkable developments towards the reunification of Cyprus, I don't see how the EU will ever accept Turkey as a member. Especially given that Cyprus and Greece, like all nations, have a veto over any deal.

The idea that Turkey could be an EU member within the next few years is blatantly not happening.

I will leave others to judge what is and what is not democratic and history to prove who is and is not right about Turkey's accession.

What cannot be denied is that 70 million Turks now have the right to free movement in Europe,including, but not limited to, the UK.
1. It is not active right now. Turkey needs to meet 72 conditions to be allowed visa-free travel first.

2. Even if Turkey does meet these conditions, it has not been approved by European Parliament. And honestly, I don't think it will be. (Unless guys like Farage don't turn up again.)

3. Even if it does pass Parliament, it does not affect the UK because we are not in the Schengen area.

4. It's not even free movement. Turkish people won't be allowed to take up jobs via the visa-free travel for example. Which means the vast majority of stays will be short-term and/or business-related.

Last edited:
Infact as it's our goverment that as Tony suggests is being extra cosy to Turkey one could argue were better off in EU as its stops us getting more into bed with them than being out could.

Weird,went to vote and above my name was my wife's with a black line though it an G9 next to her name. I asked why she wasn't allowed to vote and the answer was G9 meant EU citizen and she wasn't allowed to vote.....have to say it was very uncomfortable seeing that.

First time in 14 years I've queued to vote in think turnout will be huge
Weirdly it was completely dead when I went to mine.
There's a ton of polling stations where I live, though, and I live right in the middle of the town centre where there's not that many house so I imagine mine's one of the quieter ones.

Weird,went to vote and above my name was my wife's with a black line though it an G9 next to her name. I asked why she wasn't allowed to vote and the answer was G9 meant EU citizen and she wasn't allowed to vote.....have to say it was very uncomfortable seeing that.
Completely wrong in my book a legal right to vote is a legal right you can quick and choose based on what kind of election it is.

Logic states though if winning margin for remain was less than the amount of migrants it would stop idiots saying it was due to them. Still bloody wrong mind...

Completely wrong in my book a legal right to vote is a legal right you can quick and choose based on what kind of election it is.

Logic states though if winning margin for remain was less than the amount of migrants it would stop idiots saying it was due to them. Still bloody wrong mind...

No argument from me even swayed the way I voted

I voted about 7.15 this morning, was about a dozen people there. Not bad for so early. Bristol seems around the average of 70%

You guys staying up for this? I can't take my eyes off of bbc right now.

I'm miles away from this, and I know economics and immigration are probably the key issues, however, I would like to ask the Brits on this forum if there is any general resentment in Britain at important decisions which affect their lives are often made by people who do not answer to them at the polling booth, i.e. at the European Parliament?

I'm miles away from this, and I know economics and immigration are probably the key issues, however, I would like to ask the Brits on this forum if there is any general resentment in Britain at important decisions which affect their lives are often made by people who do not answer to them at the polling booth, i.e. at the European Parliament?

Huge!! These people are not answerable to anyone and have probably never faced an election in their lives!

The Commissars, spelt correctly!!, are appointed by member states and are obliged to shed allegiance to their country and become Eurocentric!

Looking like great result to leave this corrupt, moribund and totally ineffectual and collapsing would be state. Britain is merely the first....

Congrats, UK for just shooting yourselves in the head.

Genuinely disgusted.

General consensus seems to be that Scotland will vote and leave the UK.
Also talk that NI will do anything they can to leave, and that Cameron will be gone by the end of the year.

The pound already at its lowest in over three decades.
Turbulent times ahead, thank God we have Boris and Farage to lead us to brighter times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts