• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did he? or are beliving what dodgy Dave retracted after the vote?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36272269

Speaking of that guy - http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/zac-goldsmiths-extremist-attack-line-backfires/ :lol:!

PD - Which generally unpleasant types has Khan got close to and how close?

Which, incidentally, is a fair thing to question. Adding a photo of 7/7 to a column about why voting Khan is a bad idea? Not so much.

edit: p.s. I'm not Christian, neither are most of my friends, and the phrase 'Christian Country' is rarely used in nice circumstances, but given just how long it's been a dominant religion and philosophy here, I never find it in myself to object to the term... just the people using it.

Speaking of that guy - http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/zac-goldsmiths-extremist-attack-line-backfires/ :lol:!

PD - Which generally unpleasant types has Khan got close to and how close?

Which, incidentally, is a fair thing to question. Adding a photo of 7/7 to a column about why voting Khan is a bad idea? Not so much.

He's worked with numerous utterly vile Islamists and attended or spoken at numerous of their events. Far too many list.

But just one example, he was called when working for the Muslim Council of Britain to the Parliamentary Select Committee on Home Affairs about Yusuf al-Qaradawi, he complained of 'a 15 second snippet used to demonise him' and said he was not 'the extremist he is painted out to be' (http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200405/cmselect/cmhaff/165/4111602.htm).

That 15 second clip was Qaradawi calling for suicide bombings, and he is also a man writes stuff like this ...

Throughout history, Allah has imposed upon the Jews people who would punish them for their corruption. The last punishment was carried out by Hitler. By means of all the things he did to them – even though they exaggerated this issue – he managed to put them in their place. This was divine punishment for them. Allah willing, the next time will be at the hand of the believers.

He also campaigned against Babar Ahmed's extradition to the United States on charges of providing material support for terrorism. That alone would be something people from from different political parties opposed with objections to the extradition treaty signed. However Khan went further and stated he was 'a caring and helpful member of our community' whom he had known for 'the past 12 or 13 years' and 'should be presumed innocent until he is found guilty, moreover, he is in fact innocent' (http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmhansrd/vo060712/debtext/60712-0009.htm).

Unfortunately, Ahmed later pled guilty to 'conspiracy and providing material support to terrorism' and admitted he 'recruited men to travel to Afghanistan for mujahedeen training and sought out gas masks to send abroad'.

He's also written forewards to works by CAGE (that group who called Jihadi John 'beautiful'), shared platforms and been to events (often gender segregated) with dozens and dozens of similar vile characters loads of times (notably including someone who ran a camp that trained one of the 7/7 bombers Mohammad Sidique Khan, and of course that awful Sulaiman Gani who has agitated a sectarian hate campaign against Ahmadis in his local constituency of Tooting), accepted an award and given a kind speech to a toxic extremist loving group FOSIS, and referred to fellow Muslims as the nasty divisive racist term 'Uncle Toms'.

It should be noted that now and on his Mayoral campaign he firmly disavowed the views of all these disgusting people, and is in no way an extremist himself (indeed many of these Islamists are now angry with him as he has now more recently engaged with Jews and spoken about Israel not in the hateful ways Islamist do). But he did thoroughly put himself about that Islamist scene and giving them nods and going along with them as opposed to challenging them.

From what I've read the reason why was probably to gain block votes in a tight-ish seat, as opposed to sharing their views. Still, it is extremely poor judgement at best and absolutely deserves to be questioned and in no way racist at all, and I suspect had these disgusting extremists he had shared platforms with or offered gentle words towards been of the white nativist variety then people would have taken a totally different view of it.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me why there are a fair amount of Europeans (This is just judging on social medias) that are so keen on a superstate idea?

They ain't, France and Holland rejected the constitution but were bypassed via the Lisbon treaty. Ireland voted against the Lisbon treaty and were told to vote again.

Can someone tell me why there are a fair amount of Europeans (This is just judging on social medias) that are so keen on a superstate idea?
Not saying I'm for it, but I don't necessarily reject it out-of-hand like most British people do. I don't think it hurts to have the conversation.

I think more and more people are coming to the realisation that countries cannot resolve some of the modern problems posed by globalisation, independently. I am generally in favour of the free market, as long as everyone plays by the same rules. Which isn't happening. Multinationals are moving wealth around the world to pay dwindling taxes, whilst lowering standards of labour by offloading jobs from the West into the East, whereas small businesses play rigorously by the host country's rules to their own detriment. Multinationals playing by different rules is not competitive; the free market does not work here. And it is killing small business, destroying labour standards, and causing massive income inequality, which has gotten out of control.

These problems have only started to come to the forefront in the last 50ish years, and I feel old methods of government are a proven failure at actually resolving these problems.

Take, for example, corporation tax. Ideally, all countries would set a suitable level of corporation tax which is effective at providing income for government to run, whilst not being prohibitive towards growth of businesses/the economy. However, it only takes one country to come in and undercut the rest and we're racing towards the bottom. I see no way in which countries can sustain their tax levels, without losing a significant amount of business. A superstate has a much better chance of resolving this.

So we create a Soviet Union to catch tax dodgers?

More like a Zimbabwe where the ruling class unashamedly take everything to the detriment of the whole country!

Just look at the fact that already the EU accounts have, for years, not been signed off due to the significant fraud and corruption!!

So we create a Soviet Union to catch tax dodgers?
I was thinking more along the lines of federalism, e.g. United States. The vast majority of laws are kept at state (i.e. national) level, even more so than in USA, and there's some kind of court to stop federal government if it oversteps its boundaries. But the federal government is used to solve e.g. overfishing, tax evasion, deforestation. How to draw the distinction between what is dealt with at federal, state and local level, I am not sure. Perhaps a federal government must have its legislation agreed to by a supermajority of countries to come into effect?

I was thinking more along the lines of federalism, e.g. United States. The vast majority of laws are kept at state (i.e. national) level, even more so than in USA, and there's some kind of court to stop federal government if it oversteps its boundaries. But the federal government is used to solve e.g. overfishing, tax evasion, deforestation. How to draw the distinction between what is dealt with at federal, state and local level, I am not sure. Perhaps a federal government must have its legislation agreed to by a supermajority of countries to come into effect?

Sorry but all the EU did to stop overfishing was give the Spanish everyone's fishing rights because they had over fished all theirs. On regards of tax it's because of the EU that google can set up in Ireland then trade in the UK and dodge corparation tax and environmental issues should always be dealt with at local level. So given those 3 examples it's hard to see a good reason for a united States of Europe.

Sorry but all the EU did to stop overfishing was give the Spanish everyone's fishing rights because they had over fished all theirs. On regards of tax it's because of the EU that google can set up in Ireland then trade in the UK and dodge corparation tax and environmental issues should always be dealt with at local level. So given those 3 examples it's hard to see a good reason for a united States of Europe.
Fishing - One nation, one regulated fishing industry.
Tax Dodging - Corporation tax is set at the federal level going to be hard to dodge it if you can't switch where you are in Europe. Obviously there needs to cutting out the loopholes for all nations regardless of the EU vote and/or a superstate, it's our own inflicted problem.

Either way you look at it though the European Superstate is an inevitability of time although it's a mid-distance future rather than near future thing to happen (ie I expect to see it in my lifetime 40-50 years). I wish it would get talked about more. I see part of the question of this EU referendum is do we want to be on inside guiding the way to move forwards or do we want to be on the outside? If we are on the outside what's our plan to not to become slowly an irrelevant country?

Sadly the debate on the national level has now descended to Godwin's Law.

As opposed to an irrelevant country in a slow, irrelevant, undemocratic superstate.

Is there anyone out there that really want a federal Europe? Or is just people shrugging their shoulders and bowing to the inevitable end to the United Kingdom as a sovereign state for the sake of a few hundred quid a year in their back pocket?

As opposed to an irrelevant country in a slow, irrelevant, undemocratic superstate.

Is there anyone out there that really want a federal Europe? Or is just people shrugging their shoulders and bowing to the inevitable end to the United Kingdom as a sovereign state for the sake of a few hundred quid a year in their back pocket?
It would be a lot more democratic if people didn't use their European election votes as protest votes. The European parliament is no more a failed democracy than our own.

I fail to see the argument for us needing to be a sovereign state actually I fail to see the point of countries altogether. As far as I'm concerned no other human is my lesser or better anyway based on where they are born, all humans should be entitled to the same levels of education & healthcare in our lives. Yes I understand that's extreme idealist view of the world and I don't expect any of the potential issues of that view to be resolved for extremely long time.

But I fail to see what makes us so great over any other country or peoples and why being a separate country is important in the slightest.

It would be a lot more democratic if people didn't use their European election votes as protest votes. The European parliament is no more a failed democracy than our own.

I fail to see the argument for us needing to be a sovereign state actually I fail to see the point of countries altogether. As far as I'm concerned no other human is my lesser or better anyway based on where they are born, all humans should be entitled to the same levels of education & healthcare in our lives. Yes I understand that's extreme idealist view of the world and I don't expect any of the potential issues of that view to be resolved for extremely long time.

But I fail to see what makes us so great over any other country or peoples and why being a separate country is important in the slightest.

Have to start calling you John Lennon! Yes it is an extremist view and one I hope I never share.

Have to start calling you John Lennon! Yes it is an extremist view and one I hope I never share.
What's wrong with it? What makes the fact your from UK so much better than everyone else?

You just said it was extremist view that your hope to never share.

You also said it was extremist but I don't understand how you are make the connection between me wanting a more democratic society and me thinking myself better than others.

You also said it was extremist but I don't understand how you are make the connection between me wanting a more democratic society and me thinking myself better than others.
I didn't say anything about democracy in the part where I said it was extremely idealistic view of the world I was just talking about what the point in sovereign states when you view all human's to be born equal and have the same access to things. If your saying it's extremist and hope to not share those views you are inherently implying we are not equal.

I wouldn't use the word extremist "a person who holds extreme political or religious views, especially one who advocates illegal, violent, or other extreme action." anyway whilst I refereed to it extremely "to a very great degree" idealist "a person who represents things as they might or should be rather than as they are". As I don't advocate anything illegal, violent or extreme action and advocate a long gradual (were talking lifetimes here) approach to that state of affairs I barely cover that part of the definition at all.

- - - Updated - - -

In fact when I'd happily argue I'm way more favor of proper democratic representation of the people's will considering the amount of times you've claimed the Tories won with 36.1% of the vote yet command a majority of the house of commons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts