• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aaron Smith's Aerial Adventure

stuff like this can have major implications. Remember the All Blacks is a brand and its value is really dependent on how much sponsors are willing to pay to have their name associated with the All Blacks. Crap like this can cost the All Blacks millions of dollars. The sponsorship contracts the All Blacks have I expect even have clauses which allow sponsors to drop their deals if All Black representatives are involved in public scandals that impact the reputation of the brand.

I know boys will be boys but this is pushing well over the barrier of what would fall into that category. Hes at an airport traveling in relationship to ab All Black test wearing All Black squad uniform. And it wasn't a sneaky fling, it was pretty obvious and the public around were completely aware of what was going on.

With this being his 3rd or 4th public sex related outing I think he should be stood down for the rest of the year. The message has to get through, One test certainly isn't enough.

it only has major implications cause people like you act like it's a big deal

sex was consensual, he hasn't beaten anyone up

and let's think about the message this sends to the boys of new zealand... if you win an international match you can't have anonymous sex on the plane ride home you might as well become a lawyer (more money in it anyway)

and let's think about the message this sends to the boys of new zealand... if you win an international match you can't have anonymous sex on the plane ride home you might as well become a lawyer (more money in it anyway)

Absolutely. If I'm honest the only reason I play rugby is so I might one day be able to have sex on a plane.

I'd probably have better luck becoming an air stewardess though.

Stand him down and publicly shame him.
Do NOT tarnish the brand.
If he continues to play up then boot him out and bring in the next one.

Absolutely. If I'm honest the only reason I play rugby is so I might one day be able to have sex on a plane.

I'd probably have better luck becoming an air stewardess though.

yeah but air stewardess actually have a job to do on the plane... sorry to bring that into a beautifully flippant conversation though

Agreed 100% Larksea. We are talking about a public figure and role model, not some faceless blue collar worker.

Ugh, I hate all this brand talk, but that's just the world we live in. To many rugby fans, if not sponsors, I suspect a little AB tarnishing would go down very nicely thank you as everything seems a little too self important and holier than thou. Perverse as it seems many people actually prefer flawed characters to whom they can relate over the gods on their mountain.

Ugh, I hate all this brand talk, but that's just the world we live in. To many rugby fans, if not sponsors, I suspect a little AB tarnishing would go down very nicely thank you as everything seems a little too self important and holier than thou. Perverse as it seems many people actually prefer flawed characters to whom they can relate over the gods on their mountain.

to this day the 86 mets are my favorite team in the history of sports and they played 8 years before i was born... for those that don't know who they are let's just say cocaine and women

I agree, it amazes me how high the standards applied to a rugby team are when you consider the antics of other public figures that go completely unnoticed.

Agreed 100% Larksea. We are talking about a public figure and role model, not some faceless blue collar worker.

He is a sporting figure not the clergy, had it been the Pope after an abstinence sermon I would agree with you but not a rugby player in an airport bathroom the only thing he should be held accountable for in this case is using a disabled toilet.

Last edited:
to this day the 86 mets are my favorite team in the history of sports and they played 8 years before i was born... for those that don't know who they are let's just say cocaine and women

Sheesh, has MLB forgiven "Shoeless" Joe Jackson yet!!?:rolleyes:

Well, if Smith was a South African, with our relatively large contingent of conservative fans, and he did this, he would have had a torrid time going forward. It's about the message he's sending to the youth to look up to him.

Now me, personally, would never have sex in a public bathroom. It's one of the most disgusting places a guy will ever visit, and it's one of the few places you can catch a o lot of bacteria.

And the girl that went in with him, says to me that she doesn't have very high standards, and it seems like she doesn't care who heard her or know what she did in the bathrooms. This brings me to conclude that she is a tramp.

So the message that this escapade is sending through is that if you're a big name rugby player, you can have a one-night-stand anywhere you want with whoever you want.

Now we all know what kind of ramifications there can be from this. A fan might not have the suave that Smith has, and could lead to abuse or even rape...

I have a big problem with this kind of behaviour. I know a lot won't agree with me here, but this is just terrible.

More likely, thinking with the little head instead of the big head!

However, the reaction has been somewhat over the top, and I'm a bit concerned aboutthe double standards here. Would the guy who reported him have done so if it was Fred Smith from Waikikmukau who he heard going off with some bird in the dunny? I seriously doubt it!

I understand what you are saying but Smith is a public figure and his personal life has been well documented.

So many Kiwis have taken great pleasure is talking about how Australia doesn't have a good team environment and have used examples of James O'Connor et al. Now O'Connor's contract was terminated because of an episode in an airport when he had a bit too much to drink. I think this Smith episode is worse for him being an idol of young people in NZ.

All Blacks are put on a pedestal, rightly or wrongly, and they must realise that. The dishonesty which are apparent in Smith's actions are unbelievable, when you consider his family and current partner, not to mention he was still in his All Black uniform (?).

No real double standards I see.

The comments on an Irish site about this I saw were all calling him a legend. I really don't think it would be a huge deal here, especially as Simon Zebo and Connor Murray's antics are the worst kept secret in Irish rugby, and in comparison that's some genuinely depraved stuff believe me. And they're far from the only ones.

The comments on an Irish site about this I saw were all calling him a legend. I really don't think it would be a huge deal here, especially as Simon Zebo and Connor Murray's antics are the worst kept secret in Irish rugby, and in comparison that's some genuinely depraved stuff believe me. And they're far from the only ones.

Rumours are that Schmidt spoke to them about that when he took the Ireland job, Murray apologised and Zebo did not, Dave Kearney won the six nations the next year. It'd be dealt in private here because the IRFU are exceptionally good at keeping things quiet.

I don't agree with people saying it's consensual so it doesn't matter, bringing someone back to his hotel room or something similar would be fine obviously but this was in an airport where he's an idol to plenty of the people young and old there, it's not a personal moment for him as he's in a position where he likely has to interact with hundreds of adoring fans, its kind of **** but a small price to pay to live the dream of millions of people the world over.

I'm with Bluemoon.
Has he broken any laws or breached any contractual obligations?

The "role model" argument is quite hypocritical.

Hi Guys. Long time lurker first time poster. I was actually at the airport lounge where the alleged "incident" occurred yesterday. Thought I'd write up my thoughts to provide a bit of balance to the ridiculously biased accounts appearing in the media over the last few hours.

https://allblackreport.wordpress.com/2016/10/06/airport-snitching-condemned/

I'd appreciate if you could give it a bit of a Kieran Read guys, it should clear up a bit of the controversy.

Anyone see Aaron Smith's apology on tv now ?

He's in tears.

Latest posts