• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aboriginal Super League

M

melon

</h3>
<h3>Aboriginal Super League may go ahead
Thursday, March 1, 2007 - 7:05 PM

A breakaway rugby league competition for Aboriginals in Country NSW looks set to go ahead after conditional approval was given in Tamworth.

A summit meeting between the NSW Country Rugby League (CRL) and Aboriginal Nations Super League (ANSL) organisers failed to reconcile the reasons why indigenous clubs were thrown out of Group Two, Four and 19 competitions in northern NSW.

After refusing to reinstate the Aboriginal clubs the ANSL requested permission from the CRL to progress with their own nine-team competition and have been given seven days to come up with proof of sound management, insurance and public liability details before being sanctioned by the CRL.

ANSL chief executive Michael Anderson said he was optimistic his league would go ahead.

"I'm very optimistic our competition will kick off on the date we set of March 24," said Anderson.

"My feeling is that the Groups don't see any immediate problems with sanctioning the competition. We will come back to another meeting next week to nut out some finer points.

"I think we will proceed and we will proceed with an affiliation.

"Next Thursday for us is D-Day ... I think we just iron out those creases next week and hope that everything is hoki-dori, but that's being the supreme optimist."

Anderson said the emergence of the ANSL was the bush's own version of the Super League war which ripped apart the national competition a decade ago.

"That's exactly what's happening and I think that is really healthy," said Anderson.

"(But) we are doing it with pennies, not millions of dollars.

"We are all working in the right direction now."

He said ANSL would not poach players from existing Group clubs this year, but once players are off contract then it was "open slater".

While most players in the bush pay to play league, the elite are paid up to $300 per game from the clubs.

"We are not going to poach any of the Aboriginal players contracted to the clubs," said Anderson.

"Next year when they come off contract it is open slather.

"As we grow and clubs develop we will be able to compete for paid players with the CRL.

"If they want Aboriginal players they're going to have to pay for them.

"There will be a bidding war for the players.

"We are just creating more competition and it will serve the game well rather than take away from it."

Anderson said the ANSL could also open the eyes of professional Sydney clubs who don't realise the talented players yet to be discovered in the bush.

[/b]
From NRL.com

I read about this in the telegraph a few times and was extremely interested. It'll certainly something to keep and eye on.

It's a shame it had to come about this way though.

its shocking

they are separating themselves from the majority

i dont like it at all

the only way to reconcile is to get on with things together

mundine has the knack for separating himself from the rest of australia

siding with the Sheik and not showing the aussie flag in a biff

They will only isolate themselves from societies trends

I accept a Aboriginal team, in one off tournies like sevens etc....a way for 2nd tier aborigines to show their stuff - but not an Aboriginal comp

Cause when they turn pro and have to play with whites, what next?

I hate racism........this will only emphasis it

well thats white australias problem isnt it?...

good on them if this makes them happy..about time they got some real money in their footy...i look at them like the pacific islanders..heaps and tons of flair and talent!

GO ABORIGINIES!!!

well thats white australias problem isnt it?...
[/b]

pffft

There is no white australia

we are all australians

if they got REAL FLAIR n TALENT - they wouldnt need this

Mal Meninga
Chicka Ferguson
Inglis
Daley
Widders
Ella brothers
Dale Shearer
Blacklock

just to name a few...........the real problem lies within these regional areas - you cant be a proper athlete if your sniffing petrol and drinking beer for even 2hrs per day, let alone 6.

Trust me.........I went to school in Armidale with Dean Widders.......Duval High
We made the qtr finals of the Commonwealth Bank Cup.
We had a plathora of Koories playing in our team , and local schools
The only ones that stayed disceplined was Dean Widders and Denis Moran - they made the NRL
The others lost the plot at 17-21 yrs of age...........still living in the slums.
I have witnessed this **** first hand
Andrew Walkabout Walker..........did hid best to avoid the demons.
Its all within oneself.........just like anybody else, you dont have to be white or black.
Its the fact that the aborigines parents and ancestors feed them with hatred thoughts of whites, that they tend to go balistic moreso than others
I do not know the nature of what happens with Maori's in NZ
But I know the maoris here, seem to get thru the adolencent stage better than the Aborigines
La Parouse is one of the most feared teams in the local east sydney NRL comp
They have atleast 10 koories each year running on.........they dominate year in year out.
Not many make it thru to the NRL.........its lies in discepline..........not racism.

I completely agree though..........they have the talent, by numbers n ratio......they are the most gifted sporting people in australia..........but you cant show off all the physical prowess without a lil bit of decent mentality!!!!

it still is the "other" australians problem...all i see over there is them getting treated like garbage and getting called names..everytime i go there..the form of abuse isnt foreign to me..it use to happen to pacific islanders and maori's...

BUT...THAT WAS IN THE FREAKIN 70'S!...

my point is..its gonna take some time for that dust to settle...

i hope things do change!..for real

The only reason this competition is being formed is because a number of teams were ejected from their normal comps because of terrible behavior.

I know alot of aboriginals who are great people! It's just that when some of the more unsavory of them get together in groups they wreak havoc...its really unfortunate.

There was some German guy named Adolph Hisler (sorry...can't quite recall the last name...maybe some help on that) who had some similar ideas. He had plans to seperate all the white people from everyone else. Anyone know how that worked out? I doubt he was trying to start a rugby league competition, though.

There was some German guy named Adolph Hisler (sorry...can't quite recall the last name...maybe some help on that) who had some similar ideas. He had plans to seperate all the white people from everyone else. Anyone know how that worked out?
[/b]

I think I recall hearing that it didn't go as well as they'd hoped....there was some unpleasantness if I remember rightly.

<div class='quotemain'>
There was some German guy named Adolph Hisler (sorry...can't quite recall the last name...maybe some help on that) who had some similar ideas. He had plans to seperate all the white people from everyone else. Anyone know how that worked out?
[/b]

I think I recall hearing that it didn't go as well as they'd hoped....there was some unpleasantness if I remember rightly.
[/b][/quote]

There is one major difference between the cases.

In the case of the aboriginals and their super league, they are seperating on their own accord, whereas in the case of the jews, they were forced

In the case of the aboriginals and their super league, they are seperating on their own accord, whereas in the case of the jews, they were forced
[/b]

Hmm....I'm not sure but I think our esteemed American colleague was being tongue-in-cheek. I possibly could be wrong though.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
Yes, but the Aryans went on their own accord. You're looking at it from the wrong perspective.

And, as RBS noted, I was being a tad tounge-in-cheek.

According to League Fans Hitler tried to wipe out Rugby League in France, which is their explanation for why 60 years later no one plays it.

According to League Fans Hitler tried to wipe out Rugby League in France, which is their explanation for why 60 years later no one plays it.
[/b]
and the plot thickens...

Latest posts